Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 202627282930

Thread: The Border Battle Of The Bands 2015

Default Re: The Border Battle Of The Bands 2015

In honor of the fandom passed down from my parents, I vote for

The Beatles!

Not to get too OT, but my mother ruined her "butcher cover" by trying to peel off the "packing trunk" sticker - ugh!
    "You thought you would be satisfied, but you never will learn to be still."

Stuck on the Border

The result of the final was:

Rolling Stones 7 votes
    Beatles 5 votes

1 abstention.

Congratulations to the Rolling Stones.

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Congrats to The Rolling Stones on their win
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Wow! Well, so much for my "The Beatles always win" rant!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Border Troubadour

Somehow I missed this battle but if I had voted, it would have been for the Rolling Stones. While I acknowledge the brilliance of The Beatles and their huge influence on many singers/bands etc., when you listen now to some of their work it seems very 'lightwight' (for want of a better word) compared to the Stones.
    ...Well it sure makes you wonder the things that some people will say. They can see black and white but they don't seem to notice the grey...

Congrats to The Rolling Stones on their win!! It was worth all the battles we had throughout the game
    "The more I know, the less I understand...."

Don't crack up, bend your brain, see both sides, throw off your mental chains"

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Well, I guess you can count me as one of those worshipful Beatle followers that Soda describes so, obviously, I take issue with most of the arguments she gave. However, I don’t think they are gods or that they always win everything largely because they were the first to make it big or because of sentimentality. Here’s an article that I believe does a pretty good job of summing up why they are often considered the greatest band ever (Rolling Stone magazine references aside) …

http://www.hooksandharmony.com/20-re...greatest-ever/

Perhaps maybe you really did have to be there to truly appreciate their full impact and influence. I think the fact that some of their earlier work is lightweight is exactly the point. If you listen to early rock and roll music, most all of it was lightweight back then, including the most notable acts. During that era, rock and roll was considered frivolous, inferior, and even vulgar. The Beatles were the band that changed this perception with the total transformation of their music in a very short period of time. To me, it’s hard to single out the ‘greatest’ of just about anything, but I would argue that if you are going to try, then The Beatles deserve the title. If not them, can anyone make a better argument for any other band that even comes close to their impact and accomplishments? Not even my beloved Eagles came close to matching their achievements.

It looks like the anti-Beatles vote is what prevailed in this game. That is fair enough in a game titled ‘battle of the bands’. I think that title left it open as to how folks could vote – it’s not titled the greatest band ever, the best band ever, or even your favorite band ever. To me, these all mean different things. When I think ‘greatest’, I think of accomplishments, influence, and impact, and that translates to The Beatles. For me, when I think ‘best’, I think of technical skills and The Beatles come to mind as perhaps the best overall, although they probably weren’t the best at everything, and I’m probably not qualified to judge that anyway. And then, in my case, when I think ‘favorite’, the Eagles are my preference bar none.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016