Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Eagles 02 Dublin 4 June 2014

Stuck on the Border Houston Baby's Avatar

Default Re: The Eagles 02 Dublin 4 June 2014

GA - let's say a prayer that Glenn recognizes you again and invites YOU to the Dublin bar!

Thanks for the reviews. What a good night for you GA; hope tonight is even better.

I have to ask..........how is Will? From the few photos around from the europe shows, it looks like he's got rid of the beard. Is he fully clean shaven now?

Reading reviews from the shows is getting me ready for seeing them in London. I'm feeling very Eagles starved as I haven't seen them since Berlin & the Hop Festival in June 2011. I did see Don's solo show in October 2011, so that's when I last saw my darling Will.

To any Borderers going to the Dublin shows tonight & tomorrow night, hope you have a wonderful time, and I'm sure you will.

Border Desperado

Great Reviews GA and DD!

The Eagles never disappoint!

GA- I am so glad you got the setlist and a guitar pick- those are treausres for sure!

DD- I am so sorry to hear of your difficulties and I will pray for your dad. I love all the Eagles but there is just something about Don Henley... The first show I saw on the HOTE tour was last summer and I was in the second row. when I saw Don Sing BOML so close to where I was, I had a moment and I almost cried, because I could not believe he was that close to me! On New Years Eve 2013 my husband and I were talking about the highlights of the year and I said my biggest highlight was when I saw Don Henley sing BOML- my husband said " I knew you were going to say that!"

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Glennsallnighter View Post
    Well firstly DD thank you for starting this thread and I hope things go well on your personal front over the summer. I am so glad you got to see your idol in person too. I didn't find the heat a problem (except for the heat emanating off the stage of course)

Now where to start........

We arrived at the O2 with about an hour to go before the doors opened and joined the queue. Then the girls (02 angels!) asked if anyone in our group was on the 02 network. Of all people, my 10 year old is! So they immediately brought us to the front of the queue! Bonus #1! We were one of the first into the arena. We met a German girl who is going all three nights. I was tempted to ask was her name Koala or EF!
    Once in I looked for the VIP nation desk to get our laminates... Nobody knew where it was! Eventually found it to be told to come back later for the 'exclusive Eagles gift'. :eyeroll:. Ireland does not do VIP very well!

Anyway back to the family and I had won two passes to the O2 premium lounge, so myself and a work friend used them and had a very pleasant hour or so there. Great music and food, I think some of you saw our pic on my FB account.

Back about 15 mins before the show we found out seats. Now this was a GOOD surprise. I had thought we were in row 5 of the seated. We were, but row 5 was front row with only the standing people ahead of us. And there seemed no barrier between seated and standing. So I planned to stand on. Friday nights show regardless of my seated ticket.

We were however warned at the various entrances and at a public announcement before the show not to use cameras, video equipment phones etc, a directive that was rigidly enforced for the entire show sadly. My son wanted a pic of the stage before the show and even he was told to put the phone away.

The excitement was palpable as the lights went down and the guys came out. Ireland has been Eagle starved for the last 5 years, so this was a feast!
    Of course I was just delighted to see Glenn again looking as good as always.
    There's no point in regurgitating the set list because there were no changes from the standard list that we are used to, but I will point out a few moments from the first section of the show that I remember as being particularly special

Glenn shortly after the start of the show when he was welcoming everyone he commented that it was great to be playing indoors as he didn't have to keep watching the weather, or the sun (looking up cutely to the ceiling). I thought at that point he sounded ever so slightly hoarse but I'd he was it certainly didn't show in the rest of his singing or commentary. Possibly he just needed a drink!

I loved Already Gone - I was too busy taking pics in NYC to appreciate the background video in full, but oh My My! It is amazing!

Then when he introduced LE with his usual preamble about being in the Troubadour and seeing the girls with the guys who inspired the next song, that it was written fast because they did a lot of things fast in the seventies. Then he said 'this goes out to my first wife' paused and a few of us called out 'Plaintiff'. Then he laughed and said 'ah, you know her, and held the mic to the crowd so more of us hollered PLAINTIFF'. Then he laughed and introduced the song.

As usual before TITTL he said they would take a break 'men our age cant sing 31 songs without needing to use the bathroom', getting a laugh (and agreement) from everyone!! He then dedicated TITTL to Randy as he does.

Overall the first part was amazing as always, perfect singing, tight harmonies, amazing music. Everyone sang along to it really taking the roof off the place.

They took a break, and then totally unaware, I was in for quite a surprise......
    How did he do that? Did he turn the stand around?

Thanks for the review. I'm glad he was in good form.

I'm loving reading these detailed reviews - GA, how fantastic for you!!!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Border Troubadour

Quote Originally Posted by Zanny View Post
    DD- I am so sorry to hear of your difficulties and I will pray for your dad. I love all the Eagles but there is just something about Don Henley... The first show I saw on the HOTE tour was last summer and I was in the second row. when I saw Don Sing BOML so close to where I was, I had a moment and I almost cried, because I could not believe he was that close to me! On New Years Eve 2013 my husband and I were talking about the highlights of the year and I said my biggest highlight was when I saw Don Henley sing BOML- my husband said " I knew you were going to say that!"
    Oh Zanny, that's it exactly! I play the Eagles over and over in my car and as I'm an artist I can visualise very well so you can imagine when the opening line of BOML comes on I have to turn up the cool air!!!!!

Just hearing Don sing that the other night was so emotional, I couldn't believe he was really there. They say Bill Clinton makes you feel like you're the only person in the room, well that's how it was for Don and me and as I've already gone into everything happening at the moment in my life, I really wanted to burst into tears when the realisation hit me.

But he did look fab, very fit, slight tint in his hair, white goatee and brown plaid shirt. I thought Timothy was quite frail looking and his voice wasn't strong on ICTYW but he defintely cranked it up for LWKUA.

Anyway, as for Don, once you fall for him there's just no going back...
    ...Well it sure makes you wonder the things that some people will say. They can see black and white but they don't seem to notice the grey...

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Like you DD, I saw the independent review too but no way was I going to post it. I gave met many people over the last two nights who have thought they were all wonderful. Soporific indeed! Pure mule!

HB I'll bring those pics to NYC If you like. The writing on Glenn 's is a wee bit faded. Maybe it was in his mouth and his teeth got at it....

FP, sorry, wasn't really watching the technicality that time but I will see if he does it tonight.

Steph I had a good view of Will last night and you will not be disappointed. He looked great and does indeed appear to be clean shaven.

Better go and get ready for tonight......
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Border Troubadour

Blow Don another kiss for me GA

Here's a better review I came across for those interested
    http://musicscene.ie/2014/06/review-...4-by-mark-fox/
    ...Well it sure makes you wonder the things that some people will say. They can see black and white but they don't seem to notice the grey...

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by DivineDon View Post
    Blow Don another kiss for me GA

Here's a better review I came across for those interested
    http://musicscene.ie/2014/06/review-...4-by-mark-fox/
    There's an amazing picture with that review.

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Of course I will DD! When I'm finished blowing some to Glenn
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP