Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Eagles 02 Dublin 4 June 2014

Border Troubadour

Default The Eagles 02 Dublin 4 June 2014

Hi all, I've finally arrived home after numerous modes of transportation as I don't live near Dublin and I'm exhausted and suffering from PEW.

I won't go into all the technicalities of the show as I know you're all aware of the format and I preface my remarks by saying I am Don biased so I'm sure GA and Desperada will balance the equation at some stage. So again, I apologise for being one-sided in my comments.

Firstly, the show was fabulous, the sets, sounds and atmosphere amazing. When Don and Glenn came out I thought my chest would explode. Don immediately won the hearts of everyone when someone shouted (a woman I take it but not me surprisingly) 'I love you Don'. He answered in a not too bad attempt at an Irish accent, 'but darlin' I hardly know you'. The whole set just flew by with everyone joining in as they do in Ireland which Don later acknowledged as he said he needed some help tonight and pointed to his chest. Now I hadn't realised he had a sore throat or infection 'cos I thought he sounded brilliant.

I loved Bernie singing 'Train leaves here this morning' as it's one of my favourite songs. Surprisingly, and maybe it's just me but I thought Bernie actually looked small - maybe he just seemed bigger when he had all that hair

Anyway, I have to be honest but the heat in the auditorium was overwhelming and I was very concerned. You see I've just had the most awful few months of my life. My dad was diagnosed with terminal cancer in March and he and I have had our differences so I've been feeling very conflicted. A couple of weeks after the news I was driving into college when my body just went into shock and I collapsed. The paramedics arrived (much to my embarrassment I might add) and examined me and decided it was stress related, the usual answer when they're not sure and told me I must have had a panic attack. Now, I have had those a few years ago and this didn't seem the same to me at all and my doctor actually thought it was the after-effects of a migraine attack when I spoke to him subsequently. But anyway once they mentioned panic attacks I couldn't stop thinking of them and then of course I did start getting them - incessantly, so much so that I could hardly leave the house or drive and I'm already under pressure trying to finish my PhD. I have started seeing someone to talk it through which is helping Thank God but only for this board and the Eagles and Don I think I would have gone crazy these last few months...

...so when Don started singing 'every night I'm lying in bed holding you close in my dreams', I got so overwhelmed to think that was actually him the man I've adored forever - in reality and not just on a DVD or CD. I went through a very bad patch then and really thought I'd have to leave the show and after the interval it got worse so much so that I hardly heard Timothy B. but Glenn is a great showman and when he asked everyone to join in with Heartache tonight, I did and felt my tensions ease. So I was able to enjoy the rest of the night, and savour every Don moment and think about it and remember it 'cos I know times are going to be hard for us but last night will live long in my memory of good times.

They say you should never meet your idol in case they disappoint you - well I didn't actually meet Don but I heard him and saw him and he didn't disappoint. He was gracious, warm, endearing and supremely talented and though I couldn't take a photo of him from last night, here's a sketch I did of him in his 70s heyday.

And yes, in case any of you are in any doubt, I LOVE DON HENLEY
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ...Well it sure makes you wonder the things that some people will say. They can see black and white but they don't seem to notice the grey...

Out on the Border

Default Re: The Eagles 02 Dublin 4 June 2014

Great review. Don liker to do accents this tour doing alot them.
    Hydro was same for the heat. Be the british weather that guen him the cold.

Sorry to here bout your father. don never lets u down

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

DD, thanks so much for your review of the show! It doesn't hurt that you are a bit biased towards Don. We all have our favorite around here! I'm so glad that you got to go and enjoyed yourself! Aren't they wonderful?!

I'm also sorry to hear of your problems and hope all goes well for you and your Dad.

Great picture of Don, also! You are very talented!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border

DD, sorry to hear about your father. It's a tough one, but maybe you'll have a chance to improve your relationship with him. Don't be afraid to ask for help, time and support so that you can remain as well as possible through these stressful times.

Thanks for the review. It sounds like quite an occasion. I've a feeling Ireland is a bit special for them. (I can't imagine them getting excited about being in the "West Midlands" last week other than it was their first UK date! Sorry, Birmingham).

DD, I'm so terribly sorry about your father's diagnosis. It's only natural your health would be affected and I can say as someone who's gotten a PhD that I was more stressed out in that final year of completing the dissertation than I have ever been at any other time in my life. I can't imagine going through all that at one time! Your family is in my prayers.

The Eagles and in your case Don especially being able to help you through such difficult times is part of the reason why we love them so very much. The haters can bite me. THIS is why they are a great band.

Sounds like a fantastic show, aside from that awful heat!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border Houston Baby's Avatar

DD ~ I'm so sorry to hear about your father and also your health issues. But isn't it amazing how the Eagles can make you forget about your problems for a little while? That happens for a lot of us whether it be at a concert, watching their dvds or just listening to their songs. I am so happy that you got to see them in concert. It sounds like the concert was just what you needed at this time.

And as Brooke said, you do not need to apologize for having Don as your favorite. He is a very special man!

I will keep you and your father in my prayers. Take care!

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I pretty much reiterate what everyone else has said here, DD. Sorry to hear about your father, but so glad for you that this awesome band was able to make you so happy for a little while. Hang in there.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Well firstly DD thank you for starting this thread and I hope things go well on your personal front over the summer. I am so glad you got to see your idol in person too. I didn't find the heat a problem (except for the heat emanating off the stage of course)

Now where to start........

We arrived at the O2 with about an hour to go before the doors opened and joined the queue. Then the girls (02 angels!) asked if anyone in our group was on the 02 network. Of all people, my 10 year old is! So they immediately brought us to the front of the queue! Bonus #1! We were one of the first into the arena. We met a German girl who is going all three nights. I was tempted to ask was her name Koala or EF!
    Once in I looked for the VIP nation desk to get our laminates... Nobody knew where it was! Eventually found it to be told to come back later for the 'exclusive Eagles gift'. :eyeroll:. Ireland does not do VIP very well!

Anyway back to the family and I had won two passes to the O2 premium lounge, so myself and a work friend used them and had a very pleasant hour or so there. Great music and food, I think some of you saw our pic on my FB account.

Back about 15 mins before the show we found out seats. Now this was a GOOD surprise. I had thought we were in row 5 of the seated. We were, but row 5 was front row with only the standing people ahead of us. And there seemed no barrier between seated and standing. So I planned to stand on. Friday nights show regardless of my seated ticket.

We were however warned at the various entrances and at a public announcement before the show not to use cameras, video equipment phones etc, a directive that was rigidly enforced for the entire show sadly. My son wanted a pic of the stage before the show and even he was told to put the phone away.

The excitement was palpable as the lights went down and the guys came out. Ireland has been Eagle starved for the last 5 years, so this was a feast!
    Of course I was just delighted to see Glenn again looking as good as always.
    There's no point in regurgitating the set list because there were no changes from the standard list that we are used to, but I will point out a few moments from the first section of the show that I remember as being particularly special

Glenn shortly after the start of the show when he was welcoming everyone he commented that it was great to be playing indoors as he didn't have to keep watching the weather, or the sun (looking up cutely to the ceiling). I thought at that point he sounded ever so slightly hoarse but I'd he was it certainly didn't show in the rest of his singing or commentary. Possibly he just needed a drink!

I loved Already Gone - I was too busy taking pics in NYC to appreciate the background video in full, but oh My My! It is amazing!

Then when he introduced LE with his usual preamble about being in the Troubadour and seeing the girls with the guys who inspired the next song, that it was written fast because they did a lot of things fast in the seventies. Then he said 'this goes out to my first wife' paused and a few of us called out 'Plaintiff'. Then he laughed and said 'ah, you know her, and held the mic to the crowd so more of us hollered PLAINTIFF'. Then he laughed and introduced the song.

As usual before TITTL he said they would take a break 'men our age cant sing 31 songs without needing to use the bathroom', getting a laugh (and agreement) from everyone!! He then dedicated TITTL to Randy as he does.

Overall the first part was amazing as always, perfect singing, tight harmonies, amazing music. Everyone sang along to it really taking the roof off the place.

They took a break, and then totally unaware, I was in for quite a surprise......
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Stuck on the Border tequila girl's Avatar

Brilliant review so far GA.........but you can't stop now - I'm on the edge of my seat!
    ~Carole~

There is no more new frontier - we have got to make it here

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Housework calls! And my teenager! Back later xxx
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP