Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: So...if LROOE had been released as a single disc album...

Border Troubadour

Default Re: What songs would make you single album version of Long Road Out Of Eden

I really like Somebody; it has bite to it in the vain the latter two 70s albums did, especially in the sea of country / soft that filled out most of the rest of the album. Along with Witchy Woman it is probably the only Eagles song that play on a straightforward dark, mystic theme; almost like a Holloween song of sorts. I love the 'Calling you home' line too, not classic Glenn but it fits in oddly well.

Most crucially though for me, in addition to How Long and a couple of others on the album, it is also one of the few songs that feel like a traditional Eagles number: guitar-driven, with signature Glenn rhythm, basic (good!) drumming and layers to the vocals: it is easier to visualise the guys performing it than songs like ILTWAWD or It's Your World Now for example.

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: What songs would make you single album version of Long Road Out Of Eden

"Somebody" is one of my favourites on the album.

I have a hard time with the idea that it would be better with less. If it was songs going on for too long, or too many similar songs, I might agree but it has such diversity that it never gets dull.

Border Rebel

To me, "Somebody" feels like one of the few band songs on the album. Where many of the tracks sound like they could be solo songs, this one does not, plus it's catchy as hell. It would've been all over radio if this was 30 years ago.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: So...if LROOE had been released as a single disc album...

ITA scottside.

I went ahead and merged this thread with the original one.

I looked at my post in the original thread and would now make just a couple of changes. I actually burned a CD with the original songs I listed. But, I'm still one that is glad that LROOE is a double CD. Here's my revised list ...

1. No More Walks in the Wood
    2. How Long
    3. What Do I Do With My Heart
    4. Waiting In the Weeds
    5. Do Something
    6. You Are Not Alone
    7. Long Road Out of Eden
    8. I Dreamed There Was No War
    9. Somebody
    10. Last Good Time In Town
    11. I Love To Watch A Woman Dance
    12. Business As Usual
    13. It's Your World Now

If I had to cut a song, it would be NMWITW - I'm not crazy about the song's melody, but I do love the idea of opening with an acapella song.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Out on the Border DiscoStrangler's Avatar

I actually just got this today on vinyl via Amazon. I had put it off because I was a fan of the older material but finally decided I needed it in my collection. Is the gatefold supposed to be upside down or did I manage to get some kind of bootleg version?

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by thelastresort View Post
    I really like Somebody; it has bite to it in the vain the latter two 70s albums did, especially in the sea of country / soft that filled out most of the rest of the album. Along with Witchy Woman it is probably the only Eagles song that play on a straightforward dark, mystic theme; almost like a Holloween song of sorts. I love the 'Calling you home' line too, not classic Glenn but it fits in oddly well.

Most crucially though for me, in addition to How Long and a couple of others on the album, it is also one of the few songs that feel like a traditional Eagles number: guitar-driven, with signature Glenn rhythm, basic (good!) drumming and layers to the vocals: it is easier to visualise the guys performing it than songs like ILTWAWD or It's Your World Now for example.
    Why it was dropped after two nights in Sydney is beyond me.

It was such a thrill to see Tim & Don share a mic while Glenn sang, as opposed to Tim & Glenn while Don sang. It was a big deal. It was a lot of fun to watch & had a great vibe. They should have stuck with it. But then they dropped the entire album, managing to do a 'History' tour without acknowledging it. They were wrong about it.

A guess this is a separate question but would they have played songs off the album after HOTE? I’d hope they would. I really wish I was old enough to see them during the LROOE and HOTE tour. I hope just for my own sake they play WITW in the up coming tour at least.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by YoungEaglesFan View Post
    A guess this is a separate question but would they have played songs off the album after HOTE? I’d hope they would. I really wish I was old enough to see them during the LROOE and HOTE tour. I hope just for my own sake they play WITW in the up coming tour at least.
    If they dropped it for HOTE why would they revive it now? I will refrain from further comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    If they dropped it for HOTE why would they revive it now? I will refrain from further comment.
    I meant it more as if Glenn was still around. Does anyone know if they were permanentely dropping material off the album or if it was just due to the nature of the tour?

Quote Originally Posted by thelastresort View Post
    I like the lyrics of Somebody for that reason and because it seems to be a nod to Witchy Woman. At first I wondered if the object of the singer’s scorn was Felder, lol, then I saw that Glenn didn’t write it. I also like the upbeat tempo. But I can’t get behind it 100% b/c I don’t like Glenn’s vocal styling. I give him props for trying something different but to me it just doesn’t work.

It seems to have a different vibe from the rest of the album. Maybe b/c it doesn’t sound like a solo track like others have said.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...