Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Don Henley in Glasgow 25/06/16

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Default Re: Don Henley in Glasgow 25/06/16

Ga, what a wonderful review! Thanks for all your thoughts about the show. Sounds like Don was great and I'm so glad you decided to go and got such great seats too!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Thanks for the awesome review from me too, GA. I'm so glad you enjoyed yourself and hope you enjoy your next show just as much.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Border Rebel

Great review, GA! It sounds like an awesome show. Can't wait for Boston!

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Thanks for the fantastic review, GA! I hope you don't mind if I 'compare notes' - there are a lot of things that I recognise from my own experience (he definitely repeated his comment about there being no loonies except him and his description of the Louvin brothers, for instance) but also a few interesting differences.

There was one slight difference in the setlist and that was he performed Sunset Grill at my show, which he didn't in Glasgow. This meant there were two back-to-back Cass County songs early in the set (SG slotted in between That Old Flame and Words) which I guess would have given the early part of the set more of a country flavour. I was also interested to hear how he introduced The Last Resort, as in Manchester he emphasised more that it was a song from Hotel California, he didn't use the Western Civilisation line IIRC (although I can confirm that the song was also extremely warmly received there!), I think this was partly because he did the explanation about the phone policy prior to The Last Resort rather than after NYM.

Regarding Don's NYM introduction, he said something similar before the song in Manchester about it being appropriate for these times. I must admit I hadn't really thought of the significance in that way, but yes, I agree that those lyrics resonate.

Border Troubadour

I'll post something now, been here, there and everywhere for the past week (including back to Gasgow! ) so have't really had time!

I can't add anything about the main bits of the show that GA hasn't already, but the duets were done in the order the girls sat in - Lily for That Old Flame, Lara for WCBYH and Erica for When I Stop Dreaming. All three were excellent, I never really appreciated Words until I heard it live and I prefer Erica's vocals on When I Stop Dreaming to Dolly's, it just works better I think.

I interpreted the New York Minute line to mean the world in general, I saw on the news afterwards there was some serious flooding with fatalities in America that day, but I guess Glenn fits just as well. I interpreted his words before Everybody Wants to Rule the World to be about Trump etc (and Brexit perhaps) - I noticed he added 'Join me in weeping' beforehand in Manchester.

After Don had finished doing the intros someone screamed out 'An' he a ye?' ['And who are you?'] which got a massive laugh, so typically Scottish!

I don't think on any of the other threads anyone has mentioned the opening act bar GA here - they were bearable, but I just wish he'd cut out the chat between songs, some of it was ridiculously long. That Ballyhoo song was awful, but some of their stuff was quite good.

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

tlr, I pretty much with you about JD & The Straight Shot. Agreed Ballyhoo was awful, what was that about? I think it's the sort of song that a particular type of music critic will rave about because it's 'different', when in actual fact it's just rubbish... I digress! I also agree their introductions were too long, generally if you have to spending too long introducing a song there probably Their other songs weren't bad in fairness (their other new one was reasonably decent, I thought), though I think I missed the first two.

Also agreed about When I Stop Dreaming, Erica did a great job on that one and I much preferred her vocals to Dolly Parton's, as I've said elsewhere, I find Dolly's voice a bit too 'cutesy'). Also hats off to Erica - I think it was her - for the violin playing, especially on The Last Resort and TEOTI. (tlr, also thanks for the correction in the other thread about Don playing acoustic on Dreaming. It's coming back to me now, not sure how I forgot that!)

Out on the Border

Default Glasgow photos

Hi there does anyone know where I can view photos from dons sse hydro concert
    If anyone can help I be greatful

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

I got a new handy camera but I'm not as comfortable with it as the old one. So I just have a few ones here - still better than nothing I guess, and this time 5 months ago I never thought I'd be posting pictures of any Eagle from a live show again. Here goes from Glasgow

'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Nice, Ga! Thanks!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Glennsallnighter View Post
    I got a new handy camera but I'm not as comfortable with it as the old one. So I just have a few ones here - still better than nothing I guess, and this time 5 months ago I never thought I'd be posting pictures of any Eagle from a live show again. Here goes from Glasgow

Don is playing peek a boo behind the bongos. LOL

Well hi there, Scotty.

I spy setlist.