Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The I Can't Tell You Why solo

Stuck on the Border

Default The I Can't Tell You Why solo

I haven't realized before that Don Felder answers question in the Internet. This one is interesting. If it has been discussed here already, I couldn't find it. Now that Don has finally said this himself, I wonder how many YouTube guitar fans who think this is Don Felder's best solo (and insist that it's him on the original), will dislike the solo from now on.
    In his book he cleverly avoided revealing this, but now he couldn't, ha!

Cody, among others, would like to know whether or not Don actually played the solo on the Eagles’ original recording of “I Can’t Tell You Why.”

"Glenn Frey played the original solo on the record. I played it live for all the shows, on the Eagles Live album, and on the Hell Freezes Over CD and DVD."
    Last edited by chaim; 06-05-2012 at 04:52 PM.

Default Re: The I Can't Tell You Why solo

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    I haven't realized before that Don Felder answers question in the Internet. This one is interesting. If it has been discussed here already, I couldn't find it. Now that Don has finally said this himself, I wonder how many YouTube guitar fans who think this is Don Felder's best solo (and instist that it's him on the original), will dislike the solo from now on.
    In his book he cleverly avoided revealing this, but now he couldn't, ha!

Cody, among others, would like to know whether or not Don actually played the solo on the Eagles’ original recording of “I Can’t Tell You Why.”

"Glenn Frey played the original solo on the record. I played it live for all the shows, on the Eagles Live album, and on the Hell Freezes Over CD and DVD."
    I watched the original studio recording of this only yesterday and it's pretty obvious that Glenn did the solo. Probably pays to do a little research instead of taking for gospel what others have said. And it's good Don F. admitted it.

Stuck on the Border

Yep, and I've never understood why it became a big issue in the first place. It said "Glenn Frey - guitar solo" on the album, plus he has mentioned his guitar work in the song in the liner notes in a CD collection, as has Don Henley.

And there you have it, folks - inarguable proof. Thanks for posting this, Chaim!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Yup - the original solo was indeed Glenn's.... Great blues solo if I do say so myself.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border

Slight quibble though; he DID have to make it clear that although Glenn played it on the recording he played it EVERY OTHER TIME.

We sort of knew that, didn't we?

Glenn wrote the solo too!

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by GlennLover View Post
    Glenn wrote the solo too!
    That's the whole point when it comes to that solo, in my opinion. I'm sure guitarists in cover bands have played it many times live too. Having said that, I can't deny that Don made the solo his own over the years, and Glenn hasn't played it in 32 years, so he probably couldn't play it as beautifully today as Don. Then again, maybe he could. But, like you said, Glenn composed the solo and the whole solo wouldn't exist without him. The only thing that has ever bothered me about the solo issue is that some people have laughed at those who have tried to tell them that it's Glenn on the album.
    Last edited by chaim; 06-06-2012 at 09:59 AM.

Yes. It bothers me that Glenn doesn't get credit where credit is due, especially when it comes to guitar playing. To my knowledge, Glenn only played the solo once in public. It was at a benefit with Timothy & Don H before the Eagles got back together. I would have to check for the details as my memory isn't that good. Maybe someone else remembers, but it seems to me that it was in Aspen & possibly at a Walden Woods benefit. There is a picture of this too.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennLover View Post
    Yes. It bothers me that Glenn doesn't get credit where credit is due, especially when it comes to guitar playing. To my knowledge, Glenn only played the solo once in public. It was at a benefit with Timothy & Don H before the Eagles got back together. I would have to check for the details as my memory isn't that good. Maybe someone else remembers, but it seems to me that it was in Aspen & possibly at a Walden Woods benefit. There is a picture of this too.
    Really? It was probably the Walden Woods one in Massachusetts in 1990 then. They were all there and I think that song was played. I didn't realize I was seeing history in more ways than one.