Page 11 of 125 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161111 ... LastLast

Thread: Jackson Browne

Default Re: Jackson Browne

I've just got home after the JB concert and, um... Don who?

OK, obviously I'm kidding, but wow, that man puts on an incredible show! I'm too tired to recount everything right now (and I didn't make notes, so I'd probably make some mistakes) but he had an amazing setlist. It was similar to the one Toonlass posted, but he didn't do Sky Blue and Black, These Days or Your Bright Baby Blues. They're all favourites of mine so I was hoping he would sing them but honestly - it didn't matter. The rest of the show more than made up for it. He did a beautiful version of Late For The Sky, and introduced Just Say Yeah as "one of my favourites... at the moment, anyway." I was chuffed, because it's one of mine too!

His voice was gorgeous, very strong, and when he sang Live Nude Cabaret and got to those deep notes, I melted a little. He was so warm, gentle and funny, and he had lots of banter with the audience. At one point he was at the mic with his guitar, ready to start singing, when someone yelled "Jamaica!" He chuckled, started to protest that the band didn't know it too well, then got rid of the guitar, sat down at the keys and sang it. It was beautiful. People then proceeded to shout out songs a lot and he laughed and said "Now, I don't want you to get the idea that I'm gonna stand here and do whatever you want." Pause. "Although you never know what might happen..."

There was a very emotional moment when he sang For A Dancer and dedicated it to Steve Burton, a guitarist and friend of his who died about a week and a half ago, apparently. He said he had worked with Bonnie Raitt and with Kris Kristofferson for a long time. I couldn't help but shed a few tears.

The emotion was balanced with lots of humour though. He apologised to one guy near the front because apparently there was "an inexplicable patch of light" shining on him during the first set. Jackson gave him some sunglasses, then took them back because he'd forgotten that they were prescription and the guy wouldn't be able to see him. LOL.

He seemed genuinely humbled by the audience response, and we got two encores. He came back out and said "We don't normally do this one... just when we feel like it" and launched into Take It Easy! I screamed! I thought of you guys straight away. The whole audience was on its feet, and he rocked it!

The second time he came out, he sang Stay. It must have gone on for about 10, 15 minutes. It was fantastic! The audience was into it, he was into it, and it was such an uplifting end to the show. He shook hands with some audience members at the end, and seemed genuinely grateful for the response and enthusiasm. Anybody else who goes will have an incredible night, I promise you.

A few photos I took. They're not too clear, but I thought they were worth posting.

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--

Here is the set list

1 Boulevard
    2 Barricades Of Heaven
    3 Fountain Of Sorrow
    4 Rock Me On The Water
    5 Jamaica Say You Will
    6 Time The Conqueror
    7 Off Of Wonderland
    8 Live Nude Cabaret
    9 Giving That Heaven Away
    10a Doctor My Eyes
    10b Just My Imagination

Interval

1 Something Fine
    2 For A Dancer
    3 I’m Alive
    4 Before The Deluge
    5 Lives In The Balance
    6 Going Down To Cuba
    7 Just Say Yeah
    8 Late For The Sky
    9 The Pretender
    10 Running On Empty
    Encore
    Take It Easy
    I Am A Patriot
    Encore 2
    The Load Out
    Stay

Troub and Toonlass, you lucky girls! I hope I get to see him one day. It sounds like the interaction with the audience and the spontaneity made the show very special.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Troub and Toonlass, so glad you enjoyed the JB concert! I am so looking forward to seeing him in August. It sounds like he was in a wonderful mood at the concert you saw, even if he didn't do my favorite song, "Sky Blue and Black"! He did "Take it Easy", and that must have been very special!

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Thanks for the reviews and pics, troub and toonie. I really wish Jackson was coming closer to me so I could see him. I'm crossing my fingers that he will schedule something near me in the fall.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Those were great reviews Lou and Toonlass. Thanks so much for sharing them with all of us. I loved the pics too. Reading your reviews makes me even more excited to see JB this August. I sure hope that he does Sky Blue and Black. That's one of my favorites by him.

Lou, I got all excited too when I read that he did Take It Easy. I'm sure I'll be the same way when I see him in concert.
    ~Jess~

Stranded "on a corner in Winslow, Arizona
    Such a fine sight to see."

Troub and Toonlass thanks for the interesting reviews.
    "For the record, we never broke up, we just took a 14-year vacation!"
    (Glenn Frey)

Border Desperado

Troub and Toon, thanks for such great reviews. I'm one of the lucky Borderers looking forward to one of Jackson's August shows and I can hardly wait! Especially after these great reviews and pictures I'm glad to hear you both had amazing times!

Talking Re: Jackson Browne

Me and Jackson last year. Hope to see him again in August here in So Cal. too. Tickets go on sale next week. Wish me luck.

Carol Lynn
    SoCaGal
    Last edited by carol7lynn; 08-04-2009 at 12:55 PM.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Nice pic! Good luck CL!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten