Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: The Beatles

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Default Re: The Beatles

My favorite George song is "If Not For You"! My husband and I sing it to each other whenever we hear it.

I tried to get my son and his wife play it at their wedding a couple years ago, but they chose a more recent Keith Urban one.

I've been listening to my new Beatles cds and am hearing some very different stuff! It will take a few more listens to decide on some of them whether I like them (the songs) or not!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Grego View Post
    I would just like to put in a plug for George Harrison. He was an extremely gifted song writer whose talents,in the Beatles early years, was mostly put on the back burner by the record companies. They wanted Lennon and McCartney churning out the hits because that's where the money was. In later years when given more of an opportunity Harrison composed songs that certainly rivaled Lennon and McCartney's contributions! Just to name a very few "Something", "Here Comes The Sun",and" While My Guitar Gently Weeps". Also while being an adequate, but not great, guitar player his contributions to the Beatles sound is undeniable. He had the ability to harmonize so well with either Lennon or McCartney when the other sang lead and his voice blended well when they sang in three part harmony.
    I agree with this, except that I think George was a great guitarist. He was not flamboyant or overly technical but he made those songs what they were.

Has anyone seen the Beatles LOVE show by Cirque Du Soleil in Las Vegas? If you are ever in LV do not miss this show at the Mirage Hotel!! George Martin, who produced the Beatles music and his son Giles, masterfully rearranged some of the tracks for certain songs and set the soundtrack to the most amazing sound system that I have ever heard. I get chills and goosebumps every time I hear the intro to Eleanor Rigby!! Both Paul McCartney and Ringo were very much hands on with this show! You will hear the Beatles in a way that you have never heard them before! Let me give just one example of how special this show is! One of the songs in the show is George Harrison's "While My Guitar Gently Weeps". The version that George Martin uses is the actual version that Harrison initially brought to him! George H. wanted George M.'s opinion of the song! Martin recorded while George sang and played the song for him on an acoustic guitar! It even has a verse that was not on the released album version. George Martin later added orchestra music and uses the song in the show!

The Cirque Du Soleil performers are giving their interpretations of each song's meaning. There is the usual incredible acrobatic talents of CDS with the visual spectacle of the show but it is the magnificent sound system that steals the show!! If you grew up with the Beatles, as I did, I can all but guarantee you that it will be a very pleasant emotional 90 minute experience!!

Stuck on the Border

Has anyone seen the Beatles LOVE show by Cirque Du Soleil in Las Vegas? If you are ever in LV do not miss this show at the Mirage Hotel!! George Martin, who produced the Beatles music and his son Giles, masterfully rearranged some of the tracks for certain songs and set the soundtrack to the most amazing sound system that I have ever heard. I get chills and goosebumps every time I hear the intro to Eleanor Rigby!! Both Paul McCartney and Ringo were very much hands on with this show! You will hear the Beatles in a way that you have never heard them before! Let me give just one example of how special this show is! One of the songs in the show is George Harrison's "While My Guitar Gently Weeps". The version that George Martin uses is the actual version that Harrison initially brought to him! George H. wanted George M.'s opinion of the song! Martin recorded while George sang and played the song for him on an acoustic guitar! It even has a verse that was not on the released album version. George Martin later added orchestra music and uses the song in the show!

The Cirque Du Soleil performers are giving their interpretations of each song's meaning. There is the usual incredible acrobatic talents of CDS with the visual spectacle of the show but it is the magnificent sound system that steals the show!! If you grew up with the Beatles, as I did, I can all but guarantee you that it will be a very pleasant emotional 90 minute experience!!
    The original version with the extra verse appears on the Anthology 3 CD.

Wow, when it comes to the Beatles, I can talk for ages. I first listened to them when I was 13, so it was... well, some time ago This was Help album and I fell immediatly in love with it, with this sweet and harsh, at the same time, voice of John, with their harmonies, melodies... This love continues up to this day, although, as some of you might have noticed, I've been going through a period of obsession with Timothy B. Schmit recently It is really difficult to say which LP or which song of theirs I like most; it seems that it depends on my mood. I used to love John the most, but when I got to know George better I definitely came to the conclusion that the two kings (Paul and John) didn't let him spread his wings in the band (Gee, do we know it from somwhere? Maybe this is too far an association, but in my opinion Timothy's story is very similar. Very talented, but always in the back, with maximum two songs on one CD). Look what happened when the Beatles broke - George published immediatly his own "All Things Must Past" (is this a great thing!), which is in fact a TRIPLE album! I wish Timothy would publish his next solo album soon! By the way, although I can't really name my best Beatles song, I do have my favourite one of George's. It's "Beware of Darkness".
    Last year was very particular for me - in April my close friend, also Beatles crazy, and me went to Liverpool to see and touch everything connected with the Fab Four. This was an absolutely fantastic journey, both educationally and emotionally. And in June Paul McCartney came to Warsaw with a fantastic concert. I was totally in heaven.
    Well, OK, this is still an Eagles message Board, so I'd better stop now. Anyways, I'd like to say that I'm glad I've found a place like this, where people are friendly and open and may speak about their music fascinations freely

"I gotta get up, get out, get on that road and go one more mile "

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by irga View Post
    Wow, when it comes to the Beatles, I can talk for ages. I first listened to them when I was 13, so it was... well, some time ago This was Help album and I fell immediatly in love with it, with this sweet and harsh, at the same time, voice of John, with their harmonies, melodies... This love continues up to this day, although, as some of you might have noticed, I've been going through a period of obsession with Timothy B. Schmit recently It is really difficult to say which LP or which song of theirs I like most; it seems that it depends on my mood. I used to love John the most, but when I got to know George better I definitely came to the conclusion that the two kings (Paul and John) didn't let him spread his wings in the band (Gee, do we know it from somwhere? Maybe this is too far an association, but in my opinion Timothy's story is very similar. Very talented, but always in the back, with maximum two songs on one CD). Look what happened when the Beatles broke - George published immediatly his own "All Things Must Past" (is this a great thing!), which is in fact a TRIPLE album! I wish Timothy would publish his next solo album soon!
    Last year was very particular for me - in April my close friend, also Beatles crazy, and me went to Liverpool to see and touch everything connected with the Fab Four. This was an absolutely fantastic journey, both educationally and emotionally. And in June Paul McCartney came to Warsaw with a fantastic concert. I was totally in heaven.
    Well, OK, this is still an Eagles message Board, so I'd better stop now. Anyways, I'd like to say that I'm glad I've found a place like this, where people are friendly and open and may speak about their music fascinations freely
    No need to stop; yes, this is an Eagles message board, but this is a topic about the greatest band of all, the Beatles. Say as much as you like & then you will prompt me to do the same. Not enough can be said about them. I did the Beatles tour on my last visit to Liverpool.

I heard This Boy yesterday - those perfect, passionate harmonies send me into overdrive every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    The original version with the extra verse appears on the Anthology 3 CD.
    Yes, the song does appear on Anthology 3 but that version is of George Harrison playing and singing the song acoustically with Paul McCartney playing organ! Anthology wasn't released until the 1990's. '96 I think. What I meant was that when the song was released on the white album it did not have a verse that George Martin recorded when Harrison first performed the song solo for him. That version is the one used in the LOVE show with the addition of the orchestra and not McCartney's organ. The version in the LOVE show is on the LOVE The Beatles DVD.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I did the Beatles tour on my last visit to Liverpool.
    Fantastic!
    Did you take the National Trust tour and see the Beatles Childhood homes? I was so tearful standing there, in John's room, imagining him playing this old guitar... I also liked the Fab Four Taxi ride, the driver was so knowledgeable and nice, and kind... must say, in awe of our familiarity with the Beatles facts

I heard This Boy yesterday - those perfect, passionate harmonies send me into overdrive every time.
    Oh, this is a perfect example of their harmonies! I guess this is why I like the Eagles, too: the Beatles harmonies got imprinted in my heart and mind at an early age and now I am very sensitive to them. Gosh, all of the Eagles do it so fine!
    By the way, have you noticed the ending of Desperado on HFO?

"I gotta get up, get out, get on that road and go one more mile "

Stuck on the Border

Yes, the song does appear on Anthology 3 but that version is of George Harrison playing and singing the song acoustically with Paul McCartney playing organ! Anthology wasn't released until the 1990's. '96 I think. What I meant was that when the song was released on the white album it did not have a verse that George Martin recorded when Harrison first performed the song solo for him. That version is the one used in the LOVE show with the addition of the orchestra and not McCartney's organ. The version in the LOVE show is on the LOVE The Beatles DVD.
    I wasn't implying the version in Love is the one on Anthology 3. I was just mentioning that the A3 version does have the extra verse.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by irga View Post
    Fantastic!
    Did you take the National Trust tour and see the Beatles Childhood homes? I was so tearful standing there, in John's room, imagining him playing this old guitar... I also liked the Fab Four Taxi ride, the driver was so knowledgeable and nice, and kind... must say, in awe of our familiarity with the Beatles facts

Oh, this is a perfect example of their harmonies! I guess this is why I like the Eagles, too: the Beatles harmonies got imprinted in my heart and mind at an early age and now I am very sensitive to them. Gosh, all of the Eagles do it so fine!
    By the way, have you noticed the ending of Desperado on HFO?
    When I did it the tour wasn't run by the National Trust - I did the Magical History Tour where you saw the childhood homes from the bus.

It's not Desperado that has the Day Tripper riff in HFO - it's either In The City or Life In The Fast Lane, I think.