So I finally got to see the great Bernie Leadon play with the Eagles and I must tell you I am completely gobsmacked. There have been many lineups of the Eagles but this one is especially unique and special for several reasons.

I know a lot of fans lament that Don Felder is not in the band, but to me the guitarist I always missed in the lineup was Bernie. Felder was and is amazing but, perhaps because I'm a purist, I wanted the guy who played and sang on all those early records. The other night I got to see that. Bernie played all his old solos, "Take It Easy", "Tequila Sunrise", "Peaceful Easy Feeling", "witchy Woman", "Already Gone", "Lyin' Eyes" etc. And his harmony vocals, such a key part to those early records, really anchored the band, "doolin' dalton", "desperado" & "reprise" were especially sublime.

The best part about it was seeing him share the stage and interact with his replacement Joe Walsh, who I worship as much as any musician. You put Tim Schmit, Glenn Frey and Don Henley on top of that, my God what an incredible Eagles lineup. The only place I might have missed Felder was on Hotel California and the solo for OOTN. But truth be told, Steuart Smith does more than a stellar job handling those solos.

I understand Bernie is only a "special guest" this tour, I doubt he would want full membership anyway. He's not really into being a rock star, never has been. But his being on this tour is a brilliant stroke by Glenn. Basically, it helps bring the band full circle and gives fans one of the finest Eagles lineups ever! My only hope is that Bernie doesn't go surfing at the end of this tour. Please stay Bernie!!