Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516

Thread: Remembering 9/11

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Remembering 9/11

So true Brooke. But the number of those types of storied people told the days after 9/11 were amazing.

Stuck on the Border Houston Baby's Avatar

I wanted to bring this thread forward for 2019 as I noticed we did not post to it in 2018. I know we will never forget and I hope we remember to move this thread forward every year. I encourage our newest members to share their feelings and memories.

Memories of that day on September 11, 2001 returned to me this morning. The confusion, the anxiety and the pain of watching what was happening to our brothers and sisters was overwhelming that day. My heart broke for the family members on the planes and inside the buildings and all of our brave first responders. The aftermath was horrific but I also remember people came together like I had never seen before. There was no race, no religion and no politics. It was just us. People from all over the world helped not because they had to but because their hearts were broken too. But our will was strong. I pray today that we remember again that we are all on the same team. We should be cheering for one another, praying for one another and helping one another.

Lest we forget......

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Amen, HB. I couldn't have said it better.

Every year I remember where I was and what I was doing and my husband and kids too. Time stood still for a while. Watching some of the clips of it all this morning brought tears again. It's hard to believe it's been 18 years. Prayers again for everyone that lost loved ones.

NEVER FORGET.

https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

I remember that day so clearly, and I remember it because of those who aren't here any more.

I work at a family business, but I worked at a different company during and right after college. I remember we were all watching on the television at my company. One of the guys working for us was an airplane mechanic for the National Guard. He was telling us that the hole in the first building was not made by a small plane. I called my husband to make sure he was watching (he is from New York and actually lived in the city for a while). We watched the second plane hit. I was on the phone with him when the towers fell.

I don't remember the order of events, but after the plane hit the Pentagon, I got a call from my Mom. I worked with my uncle (her brother) at my previous job. Mom called because my Grandmother called her; Grandma was sure my uncle was in Washington DC. And since he worked "for the military", she was sure he was at the Pentagon. I couldn't tell them, but I was pretty sure he wasn't (even though I never made it to DC while I worked there, I knew our contact wasn't at the Pentagon). But, I promised to call his company and find out where he was.

It had been a while since I worked there, so it took me some time to find his secretary. (I did talk to a couple of people I hadn't talked to in a long time.) By the time all the phone calls had been made, it was probably a couple of hours after the Pentagon hit. I have to hand it to her, the secretary wasn't working there when I was there, but she confirmed who I was with a couple of other people when I called. She assured me that he was safe. In fact, he was scheduled to leave DC that day. By that time, all the airports were closed. The second time I called, she said she was actually on the phone with him then, and he and the other guy who was there, too, were going to rent a car and drive home. I told her to relay to him that I was going to let Grandma know he was fine. She said something I couldn't understand, then came back and replied his thanks. I thanked her, hung up, and called my Mom. I asked her if she wanted me to call Grandma since I had made the call. So, I also called Grandma. Grandma was a worrier; she could convince herself that a trip anywhere would result in tragedy. I talked to her, assured her that my uncle was fine, and would be on his way home as soon as possible in a car.

Besides the horrors of the day, the memory is most bittersweet. Grandma died in November of 2002. My Mom died the next July. After my Grandpa's death in 2011, things happened and we no longer talk to my uncle.

And... that story turned out to be a lot longer than I anticipated. Sorry.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Thanks for your heartfelt posts HB and CA.

Like everyone else, my thoughts and prayers continuously remain with all those impacted by the events of that tragic day. That day did leave a permanent hole in the world. But, on this day I'm also always reminded of Don's song New York Minute because that day more than any other shows us that in a New York minute everything truly can change. As painful as it still is to relive those events every year, I believe it is important that we do so.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

September 11th is a very sad day for all Americans, especially those of us in the NY/NJ Metro area. My sister lost a close family friend that day. 12 people died from my town and 22 from the town where one of my sisters lived. All bridges and tunnels into and out of NYC were closed. I had a family friend stranded in the city who had to take a boat back home to NJ. Private boats, ferries and tug boats ferried over 500,000 people home to NJ, Long Island, Brooklyn and Staten Island. I could see the smoke every day from Ground Zero on my way home from work. They show the memorial ceremony here every year on tv. It still brings tears to my eyes. The pain of the victim's families is still so raw. I remember how united the whole country was. Sad it is not like that anymore.

HB & CA -Thank You for your heart felt thoughts.