Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: The Beatles

Default Re: The Beatles

Quote Originally Posted by Annabel View Post
    As a child in the 60's with 3 older sisters, I grew up listening to the Beatles and loved everything they did. One of my sisters still has every 7" single and all the albums. I have a few of my own.

I was lucky enough to see Wings in concert in Brighton on my 18th Birthday. Amazing. Best family birthday party I have ever missed lol.

In the last year at her Junior school, (year 6) my oldest daughter got to study the Beatles as part of the National Curriculum. She grew to love them too and bought a greatest hits CD of her own that she still has and plays on her i-pod. Sadly they didn't repeat those school lessons 2 years later when her little sister was in year 6, and she still hasn't discovered the magic of them yet.
    Wow, Annabel, I can imagine how exciting it was for you to be attending a Wings concert! I'm

Gosh, I wish The Beatles were part of my school studies!! Well, at least I got to share my obsession with my teachers and classmates: in Grades 10 and 12 I did orals on John Lennon, and in Grade 11 I did orals on Paul McCartney and George Harrison.

I've got a peaceful, easy feeling
    And I know Glenn won't let me down

Quote Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
    The sad thing about growing old is that inevitably, I find myself longing for the years that I got only glimpsed as a result of the way I was raised. Oh, I knew what was going on, but I wanted to be a part of it instead of a spectator! On the other hand, I was privileged to be there when it was happening and I wouldn't trade those memories for anything!
    Mike, spare a thought for me who was born in 1976 - I missed out on all my favourite eras of music while they were happening!

The Beatles were a big part of that period of Jr and Sr School for me. They were, well, different! I didn't really care much for anything other than Blues back before the Beatles. And I didn't win any popularity contests because of my infatuation with Blues Music....you can imagine what it was called by the kids I was in school with....kids are NASTY creatures and our school was no exception.
    I hear you, Mike - my high (or senior) school years were at times nightmarish because of my passion for Elvis and The Beatles. I even got teased and made fun of when I sang and played guitar. It was only when I reached my final year that I started garnering some respect from my peers.

I cannot make any adverse comment about anything Mrs Frey documented.

Brilliant.
    Thank you, Mike! That means a lot coming from you.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    I also agree that Lennon and McCartney that are in a league all by themselves in terms of the quanity and quality of their body of work and definitely set the bar for all who followed.

Now, as far as Henley and Frey - while they were not that prolific in terms of the quantity of work they produced, the quality of their overall body of work is almost unsurpassed, IMHO.
    I was a bit harsh on them. They are a superb songwriting team, as we all know; the very best Eagles songs are by them or with one extra collaborator.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Frey View Post
    Thank you, PM! Yes, John was in a creative resurgence when he was murdered. After his 5-year hiatus (when he spent time as a "househusband", raising his second son, Sean), he put out "Double Fantasy", which features wonderful songs like the aforementioned "Woman", "(Just Like) Starting Over" as well as "Watching The Wheels". The irony of this album is that it didn't sell as well as it could have before his death, due to the number of Yoko Ono songs on it as well (with apologies to all Yoko fans). The posthumous album, "Milk And Honey", also features songs that John recorded during that period.

I must say, I'm not really a fan of some of the work John put out just after The Beatles split. In my opinion, he was losing his musicality and becoming too focused on politics, which also landed him in some hot water. "Imagine" is the only album of his from the early '70s that I own.

Paul was the more commercially minded of the two, and reaped the benefits thereof. I'm also not a fan of everything Paul put out as a solo artist, but I think he pipped John to the post regarding commercial success, if we are to measure such things. Paul wrote some wonderful, tuneful songs post-Beatles, both with Wings and solo. "Maybe I'm Amazed" is just one example of such material.
    I agree with this; I have struggled with the apparent orthodox line John = good; Paul = bad. The best solo Beatles album is Band On The Run; it is far more enjoyable than the sacred but didactic Imagine.

(There is a solo Eagles parallel here but I'm not going into that).

Stuck on the Border

Favourite Beatles Vocals (I will restrict myself to five each):

John

Come Together
    I Am The Walrus
    Money (That's What I Want)
    Strawberry Fields Forever
    Help!

Paul

Hey Jude
    Eleanor Rigby
    I'm Down
    Back In The USSR
    Let It Be

George

Something
    Here Comes The Sun
    While My Guitar Gently Weeps
    Taxman
    Love You To

Ringo

With A Little Help From My Friends
    Don't Pass Me By
    What Goes On
    Octopus's Garden
    Boys

That's what I call scraping the surface!

Interesting, FP! I'm not even going to attempt lists like this - I love so much of their vocals, it is just too difficult!

(chronological order)

John:

No Reply
    I Don't Want To Spoil The Party
    You've Got To Hide Your Love Away
    Strawberry Fields Forever
    Baby You're A Rich Man

Paul:

What You're Doing
    Tell Me What You See
    Here There And Everywhere
    Lovely Rita
    Two Of Us

George:

I'm Happy Just To Dance With You
    I Need You
    It's All Too Much
    Long Long Long
    Here Comes The Sun

Ringo:

Boys
    Honey Don't
    With A Little Help From My Friends
    Good Night
    Octopus's Garden

Stuck on the Border

SS, of your list, No Reply is an absolute stormer as is You've Got To Hide Your Love Away. I considered Long Long Long but I wanted to acknowledge George's work on Revolver, my favourite album (I also strongly considered I Want To Tell You). Interesting that I haven't included one of John's Revolver vocals. They are all so brilliant; Tomorrow Never Knows, And Your Bird Can Sing, She Said She Said, Doctor Robert.

And Your Bird Can Sing could easily have made my list. In fact, there are very few Beatles songs I consider weak. Surprisingly, one of them made your list! Can you guess which one it is?

Stuck on the Border

Don't Pass Me By?