Page 69 of 145 FirstFirst ... 195965666768697071727379119 ... LastLast

Thread: For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

Default Re: For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
    Setlist for March 6, 1995. Note: This concert replaced the September 17, 1994 concert that was cancelled due to Glenn's illness.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/eagle...-13dbd50d.html

Looks like they took out Silent Spring (a Glenn Frey song) from Set 2

Archive of LA Times news article announcing cancellation of HFO tour

https://news.google.com/newspapers?n...,1039001&hl=en
    Thanks for posting, Dawn. The setlists were interesting..I thought Silent Spring was an instrumental? Also..Get Over It in the encore...interesting...I have the 1995 Christchurch bootleg and they were no longer doing the song.

I have the HFO 2nd night bootleg. I've wondered too why half of Glenn's songs were omitted from the DVD and official CD. I'm sure this was Glenn's decision; perhaps he didn't feel, for whatever reason, that the performances were good enough. I've also wondered why The Heart of the Matter was not on the official CD, their harmonies are gorgeous.

I've thought about their cancellation and rescheduling of concerts when Glenn had his surgery in 1994, and to me, this suggests Glenn would not have wanted them to continue without him. Many bands have someone else fill in if a band member is sick or unable to attend. They didn't, and I doubt any of them would have even suggested it. Glenn certainly wouldn't have permitted it if they had.

Default Re: For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

Yes, I do remember how shocked you were. I also question when the discussions began about reforming and hiring Vince Gill and Deacon Frey in order to capitalize on co-headlining Azoff's Classic East West concerts. The concerts happened in summer 2017.
    I was also shocked at reading Tim's interview that New Kid was referring to. I have a feeling that discussions began when Deacon performed at the private memorial service they had back in February 2016, and it gave Henley and/or Irving the idea.

Stuck on the Border

Setlist for March 6, 1995. Note: This concert replaced the September 17, 1994 concert that was cancelled due to Glenn's illness.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/eagle...-13dbd50d.html
    Looks like they took out Silent Spring (a Glenn Frey song) from Set 2
    Archive of LA Times news article announcing cancellation of HFO tour
    https://news.google.com/newspapers?n...,1039001&hl=en
    I was at that March 6th concert at the Spectrum in Philly ! They had no opening band and played for nearly three hours. I remember Glenn singing a lot that night. It was a great show. We(my friends and I) paid $75.00 for our tickets which were the seconds highest price(the highest was $100). If I remember right, Glenn thanked the crowd for their understanding for the Sept. show being cancelled. we had an awesome time !

Quote Originally Posted by New Kid In Town View Post
    I was at that March 6th concert at the Spectrum in Philly ! They had no opening band and played for nearly three hours. I remember Glenn singing a lot that night. It was a great show. We(my friends and I) paid $75.00 for our tickets which were the seconds highest price(the highest was $100). If I remember right, Glenn thanked the crowd for their understanding for the Sept. show being cancelled. we had an awesome time !
    Wow!! Thanks NKIT!

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by BillBailey1976 View Post
    But, he really did sing more than 3 songs though. He actually sang 6 songs. We know that from the 2nd night bootleg. The big question is why he had 3 of his cut from the video. Who made that decision? That's the real question. It looks like the set was fairly close to the sets they'd perform in live concerts, with some notable exceptions being a lot of the solo stuff.
    The thing that's really puzzling to me is why does Glenn get 3 or 6 depending on how you view the set (DVD vs. Actual), and Don get to do 2 solo songs? I understand it somewhat in concert. You are filling out a 2 1/2 hour set list. But in this controlled DVD setting, why not add a couple more Glenn songs? Already Gone, and Peaceful Easy Feeling would have fit in great. PEF in the first part on the stools, and AG in the last few around LITFL.
    I'm sorry but given that three of Glenn's songs were cut from the DVD I can't look at them as part of it, when they are not available.

The excuse for the Henley solo songs was that he was the big solo star & therefore more people would have been more familiar with his work. At least that is what I presume; it was never explained. But, as has been said on this board many times, they also performed some band songs in which Henley was utterly dominant - Wasted TIme, Desperado & most notoriously The Last Resort during which the rest of the band may as well have left the stage.

If it was Glenn who insisted that some of the songs he did be dropped while Don was pushed forward to the point of absurdity, it is yet another example of how Glenn put the 'band' ahead of himself. His altruism & selflessness was one of the most admirable parts of his character, something which his detractors consistently ignore. Don, on the other hand, is never criticised for his prominence in the HFO DVD. People seem to take it as read that he's the star. Couldn't he have been uneasy at it? Couldn't he have said 'hey, Glenn, man, this is the Eagles. Don't you think you deserve a bit more screen time'? He may have done, of course. Who am I to assume he didn't.

The HFO tour at least corrected the balance. It was the only tour when Glenn did two solo songs - SB as well as YBTTC. This eventually dwindled to none, of course. To be fair there were no Henley solo songs in HOTE either. But Walsh songs... God yes. On & on they went (that is how I felt; I am well aware that many people saw those songs as crowd pleasers).

And now what have we got: Because now there is no Glenn at all, the others think it's OK to go on without him, just having others sing his songs, because it doesn't matter. And the point is, with sad irony, perhaps he paved the way for this himself.
    Last edited by Freypower; 01-31-2018 at 07:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I'm sorry but given that three of Glenn's songs were cut from the DVD I can't look at them as part of it, when they are not available.

The excuse for the Henley solo songs was that he was the big solo star & therefore more people would have been more familiar with his work. At least that is what I presume; it was never explained. But, as has been said on this board many times, they also performed some band songs in which Henley was utterly dominant - Wasted TIme, Desperado & most notoriously The Last Resort during which the rest of the band may as well have left the stage.

If it was Glenn who insisted that some of the songs he did be dropped while Don was pushed forward to the point of absurdity, it is yet another example of how Glenn put the 'band' ahead of himself. His altruism & selflessness was one of the most admirable parts of his character, something which his detractors consistently ignore. Don, on the other hand, is never criticised for his prominence in the HFO DVD. People seem to take it as read that he's the star. Couldn't he have been uneasy at it? Couldn't he have said 'hey, Glenn, man, this is the Eagles. Don't you think you deserve a bit more screen time'? He may have done, of course. Who am I to assume he didn't.

The HFO tour at least corrected the balance. It was the only tour when Glenn did two solo songs - SB as well as YBTTC. This eventually dwindled to none, of course. To be fair there were no Henley solo songs in HOTE either. But Walsh songs... God yes. On & on they went (that is how I felt; I am well aware that many people saw those songs as crowd pleasers).

And now what have we got: Because now there is no Glenn at all, the others think it's OK to go on without him, just having others sing his songs, because it doesn't matter. And the point is, with sad irony, perhaps he paved the way for this himself.
    I agree with you, I think Glenn sadly paved the way for this himself. He stepped back so much to let Henley take center stage that now many people think they can continue without him. It greatly upset me when, after he died, other famous musicians who died in 2016 (David Bowie, Prince, George Michael, to name a few) were front page stories and Glenn got a brief mention, if he was mentioned at all. (This actually still upsets me).

Of course we'll never know, but somehow I don't think Henley suggested to Glenn that he get more screen time in HFO. I could be totally wrong, of course, that is just my feeling about it. The Last Resort seemed like an odd choice to include to me - the rest of the band is practically offstage for half of it, Glenn is even sitting down in the back for a while.

Border Desperado

If I were the HFO decision maker, here's how my set list would have came down. Holding to the number of songs in the original:
    1. Hotel California
    2. Lyin Eyes
    3. The Heart of the Matter
    4. Love Will Keep Us Alive
    5. Learn to Be Still
    6. Pretty Maids All In a Row
    7. Wasted Time
    8. I Can't Tell You Why
    9. The Girl From Yesterday
    10. Desperado
    11. New Kid In Town
    12. Life In The Fast Lane
    13. Heartache Tonight
    14. In The City
    15. Already Gone
    16. Get Over It
    17. Take It Easy

Glenn was the leader of the band. Everyone knew this, including Henley. What amazes me is Glenn Frey had very high standards and pushed himself as hard as he pushed others .. perhaps even harder ... to ensure the band met or exceeded his expectations and/or demands. Putting on a quality concert and giving fans what they came to see & hear mattered alot to Glenn. On a personal note, I can say each and every time I ever saw him in concert Glenn Frey connected with the audience in ways that left no doubt in my mind how much he respected and appreciated the fans. In the end, I think Glenn gave his all because he would have it no other way.

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

Banned

Default Re: Eagles.... 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoStrangler View Post
    That being said, I was surprised to hear that they're doing a full-blown tour, teaming up with Jimmy Buffet, no less. Buffet has a huge fanbase, but his stuff all sounds the same to me. I just never understood the love for Buffet, I guess. This combination seems weird to me.
    Sorry to go off topic but I totally agree with this. "Come Monday" Is my favorite song that he does and the rest? Meh.

PS I agree that "ghost harmonies" was a poor choice of words and I can see why it's upsetting, but I also had no idea that it was a widely used term. That makes it sting just a little less, IMO. I am not in the "should have quit" camp but I have complete sympathy for those who are hurting. I totally get it and I'm genuinely sorry that it is causing you guys so much pain. Now I will go back to my lurking.

Banned

Default Re: Eagles.... 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by BlanketMan View Post
    A question for those of you who are opposed to the "Eagles" name being used for this current iteration of the band: If Felder, Leadon, or, by some miracle, Meisner, rejoined them for the 2018 tour, would you still feel like they shouldn't call themselves the Eagles? Are the "Eagles" Henley/Frey only (cannot be Eagles without Glenn Frey), or would having a higher percentage of the "classic lineup" make it more acceptable?

Genuinely curious, no judging.
    You just described my dream scenario. LOL