Thread: HoundMouth

Question HoundMouth

This was more of a specific comment then a thread about the band but I noticed on one of their songs called “The Big Oil Spill” the first verse has two eagles lyrics, I’m pretty sure it has to be some sort of homage to the band but who knows, here are the lyrics “Road trips and rumble strips
    Sweet Lorraine she's got ruby red lips
    She drives about in her Plymouth lord
    She recently crashed her flatbed Ford”. Flatbed ford and Ruby lips seems to be a bit too much of a coincidence right? It is also on their debut album. I’d be interested to see your thoughts

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: HoundMouth

For a start you quoted 'ruby red lips' not 'ruby lips' which I would have thought was a commonly used term. I looked it up, and it is 'ruby red lips' and is therefore not directly quoting the Eagles. As for 'flatbed Ford' surely that is also a commonly used term.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    For a start you quoted 'ruby red lips' not 'ruby lips' which I would have thought was a commonly used term. I looked it up, and it is 'ruby red lips' and is therefore not directly quoting the Eagles. As for 'flatbed Ford' surely that is also a commonly used term.
    I considered that it could Be a coincidence, I thought both being in the same verse was a bit odd but you could be right. I haven’t heard those lyrics elsewhere, I’m sure you’re more well versed in other songs than I, so I trust your judgement

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by YoungEaglesFan View Post
    I considered that it could Be a coincidence, I thought both being in the same verse was a bit odd but you could be right. I haven’t heard those lyrics elsewhere, I’m sure you’re more well versed in other songs than I, so I trust your judgement
    I'm not saying that I know better, but as I said the first phrase is not a direct quote, and the second must surely be a commonplace in the United States at least. If the first phrase had actually been 'ruby lips' perhaps there might have been something in it. Who knows.

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

To prove that any song has been taken from or copied you need at least 16 bars of identical music - I'm not sure what the rule is for lyrics. Byr say the phrase 'I love you' I'm sure its in many many songs
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP