Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: KISS

Default Re: KISS

And now Paul has apologizes on Gene's behalf. Then, Gene's wife Shannon didn't like that Paul did that to Gene after they've been partners for 40 years. Too bad Shannon, your husband is a liability when he opens his mouth and can do more harm than good for KISS's image, which is why Paul needed to say something. It's called cover your @ss. Paul has always seemed like a stand up guy to me and I'm way more of a fan of him than Gene. He wouldn't have been dumb enough to think that way, let alone say that. That said, KISS to me lives and dies with the Alive era early music. I never cared for much of their stuff other than Alive and Destroyer and maybe Love Gun. I just am not a superfan.

As far as the whole "I speak the truth thing when everyone is PC" stuff sounds like something he'd say and also Donald Trump, who is also a buffoon. I'll take political correctness and oversensitivity in America any day over absolute narcissistic rudeness like Simmons, Trump or Nugent for that matter. They all need to vacation together on a land far, far away lol.

Perhaps a part of Gene is a down to earth guy but he sure doesn't show it by saying things like this. Addiction is a real problem affecting real people and he should show more sympathy. Same for people who don't get depression or mental illness and brush it off heartlessly. People aren't always in as much control of that stuff as some would think. It's saddening that in 2016 it still happens.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border

Gene is an interesting character, because in public he makes himself easy to hate. And he probably even loves that. On the other hand he has some qualities I respect very much that are not that common among celebrities. One of these qualities is that Gene is the kind of person who does charity work and doesn't tell anyone - whereas some celebrities want everyone to know when they've "done something good". I'm sure Gene would be embarrassed to read something like "Gene Simmons: A musician, a philanthropist" (which seems to be a sought-after title these days) on Wikipedia. I respect that as much as I hate his big mouth on some issues.

Another quality I like about him is that when another celebrity slams KISS or Gene in the media or social media, it doesn't change the way Gene sees them, and he doesn't slam them back (at least if he respects them). Radiohead, Eddie Vedder and Sylvester Stallone come to mind. Gene can dish it out, but he can also take it. (one of the many areas where Gene and Paul are very different)
    Last edited by chaim; 05-22-2016 at 05:49 PM.

Gene is quite the conundrum, he can be quite gracious then say really dumb things but you know he's a good person and I feel he was more responsible for Kiss's image then Paul in terms of characters he had sketched out when he met Eddie Kramer for the demos sometime in 73. His grandiose ideas is what has kept Kiss alive and relevant in the 70s when musically they weren't the best; ultimately they were a fun band and Gene needs to be more fun IMO
    Same Dancers in the Same Old Shoes

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by OntheBorder74 View Post
    Gene is quite the conundrum, he can be quite gracious then say really dumb things but you know he's a good person and I feel he was more responsible for Kiss's image then Paul in terms of characters he had sketched out when he met Eddie Kramer for the demos sometime in 73. His grandiose ideas is what has kept Kiss alive and relevant in the 70s when musically they weren't the best; ultimately they were a fun band and Gene needs to be more fun IMO
    I think Gene is often very funny, but people decide to throw their sense of humor out the window and take him seriously. He also makes fun of himself. One of my favorite Gene quotes, where he made fun of himself, is from when he went to see Paul Stanley's solo band backstage and said "Aren't you all glad to see me?". Another one is "I forgot your question because I was fascinated by what I was saying". The guy can really laugh at himself, and he can also laugh along when someone makes a good joke about him.

Stuck on the Border

The thought had never crossed my mind, but I just listened to a more "recent" live version of one of Peter Criss's KISS songs, and I went "this would sound cool with Don Henley singing".

This is the original KSS version; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbxQhjaZDBo

(Too fast to work for Don IMO)

A slightly slower live version from Peter's solo show (from 1995): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXx9IotHsE4

I think it's the way Peter sings it in that live version (with totally different lyrics) that made me think of Don. You know, the first phrase ends on a high note and the second on a low note.
    Last edited by chaim; 07-28-2016 at 10:42 PM.

Stuck on the Border

I hate Tommy Thayer in Ace Frehley's makeup (otherwise I like him), but he seems to have good taste in music.

ATP: If you were alone on a desert island, what 3 key songs would you bring with you?

Tommy Thayer: “Definitely I would have a Beatles song. I am a Beatles freak; I think they are the best band of all time. Maybe, even though it’s a little dark, I think Eleanor Rigby is one of the most amazing song ever written; it would that one.

Then I would go with something from the Eagles because I love them, so Tequila Sunrise fits the bill. And, in the spirit of rock and roll, I admire Alice Cooper, he’s always been a rebel and so I would bring “School’s Out.”

http://www.atimelyperspective.com/bl...-and-more.html