Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Music Streaming - good or bad?

Default Re: Music Streaming - good or bad?

My students, who are 18-22, use spotify and YouTube for the most part... But VA's nephews probably think they're old, too. That's the way of the world! In my own case, as I trudge through my 30s and head towards 40, I know I can't pretend to be young and hip anymore.

In the case of VA's nephews, if they are watching YouTube, then they are "paying" in a sense. Youtube generates revenue for artists if they put up their own videos via ads. Therefore, even though viewers aren't paying per se, the ads they see do the paying for them. Of course, some artists don't put their own music up on YouTube and thus make no money off of it. Their mistake, IMHO.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

I told my nephews that it wouldn't be long before someone looked at them and thought they were too old to be cool. They don't believe me...
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

I pay for Spotify premium. I can find most music I want there, and i have discovered some new artists by listening to other people's playlists posted there. I usually go through iTunes to buy new stuff for my library, which is nice because you can just buy the single.

I will say that my kids (19, 21, and 23) keep me up to date. They set me up to be able to convert YouTube to mp3 files, and now I often use youtube to find the music I want.

I can remember being able to buy a 45 for a dollar, and albums were less than $10. The first CD I bought was the soundtrack to Les Miserables. It was a double, and I think I paid about $35 for it - quite an investment!

I think another huge impact on the music industry was MTV. I heard/saw all kinds of new artists, but if I didn't want to buy their music, I could just listen to them for free (except for the cable bill - ha!)

I think that streaming is good for artists, as is youtube. Especially when artists without a record deal can be heard and gain a following.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Well, I guess I will show my age here because I really don't get what you're even talking about! I've heard of Spotify and Pandora, but have no clue what you do with them or where you get them! I guess what you don't know, you don't miss!

I do know I love my ipod! I buy a lot of singles on itunes, but if i am a big fan of an artist I will buy their cd and put it on my ipod. I'm one of those that loves to listen to whole albums at a time rather than a single here and there. This brings up a question...will artists quit making albums because it seems most of you just want a song or two from them?
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    This brings up a question...will artists quit making albums because it seems most of you just want a song or two from them?
    I hope not.

Even though I do stream for convenience, when it comes to buying music I'm a completest and want the whole album and listen to the whole album.

I mainly listen to old stuff on spotify and hits radio on pandora.

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    I hope not.

Even though I do stream for convenience, when it comes to buying music I'm a completest and want the whole album and listen to the whole album.

I mainly listen to old stuff on spotify and hits radio on pandora.
    Agree 100% with you Austin. I want the whole CD. I have found more songs, that had never had public play, that I love so I fork out the dough for the the whole enchilada!!

So Put Me On A Highway And Show Me A Sign
    And Take It To The Limit One More Time..............

that's a good question. In an era where you don't even have to have a physical product and can release as many or as few songs at a time as you like, the notion of an album could become antiquated.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Wouldn't you miss the extra tracks though? I know I would, but I enjoy listening to whole albums. My husband argues with me and only wants to hear the hits. He says the rest is just filler for the album and is a waste of time.

I so don't agree. Thinking about the Eagles and how they struggled to make albums especially in their latter days. What if we'd never gotten Chug All Night or Train from the Eagles, for example? Or Doolin Dalton or Out of Control? I love those songs, but they weren't hits. Just sayin'!

So, I hope they continue making albums with 10 or so songs on them. Time will tell!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

I much prefer Carrying an Ipod or Listening to an album online, Its easier and I don't have to waste money.

The thing with albums is bands like the Eagles, where all of the songs are quality with only a few exceptions, are rare. Most bands do have mediocre crap on the album along with the good stuff. It's so much easier just to burn the good stuff (not necessarily just the hits, but just the stuff I like) onto my iPod and shelve the album, never to be listened to in its entirety again - and much more cost-effective to only buy those songs online in the first place - they're still on my iPod, but no money wasted on a shelved album. The only drawback is that you don't "grow to love" things using that method; you either like them after a few listens or that's it - they're on the chopping block!