Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: KISS

Stuck on the Border Tiffanny Twisted's Avatar

Default Re: KISS

sorry never was really into this badn but they did look/sound good on david letterman the other night

Stuck on the Border Grey Sadler's Avatar

Yep, I finally got to see it (no DVR here )...
    IMO, the boys looked great, but I just don't know how I feel about the status of Paul's voice (post-surgery)...gonna have to compare what's on YT with the actual recording from Monster...

But yes, I do love me some Paul...and Bruce Kulick (favorite former member, now with Grand Funk)

Stuck on the Border

If people discuss KISS's music, I don't see the relevancy of the way they look. It's like saying "Randy Newman sucks, because he's doesn't look good at all". If the famous portrait is to be trusted, J. S. Bach was one ugly son of a gun. So I guess his music isn't that great. I realize that KISS has sold a lot of stuff that doesn't have anyhing to do with music, and they wore silly clothes and makeup, but how does that make the songs worse???

Quote Originally Posted by Topkat View Post
    Kiss is one band that I could never get into. I could never get past the ridiculous outfits & the persona of the band. Some of the songs are OK, but once when I worked downtown in the 90's they were making an appearance at a record shop (yeah, remember them?) I saw them outside in the street. People were stopping them for autographs, but I couldn't help thinking how ridiculous they looked, & that they were just some band totally in it for the money & promoting themselves on any piece of plastic junk they could. They made millions off just the junky stuff they sold with their likeness. To me this band was not about the music at all & that they were a kids band..Are they deserving of all the accolades? To me, No they aren't!
    I know I will be howled down, too, but I can see where TK is coming from.
    I have never knowingly listened to a Kiss song. Never will.
    Why? Because the way they dress doesn't make me want to listen to them or know more about them.

And I refuse to believe that other people don't like other singers/bands for equally illogical reasons.
    Sometimes, you can't even give a reason. If you ask me why I don't like the Rolling Stones, I can't explain why; it's simply that I don't.
    Um, make that 'I just don't like their music'. Does that sound more logical?
    Last edited by UK TimFan; 11-26-2012 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Amended last three words to two.

Its ridiculous to Judge them based on Costumes.

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    If people discuss KISS's music, I don't see the relevancy of the way they look. It's like saying "Randy Newman sucks, because he's doesn't look good at all". If the famous portrait is to be trusted, J. S. Bach was one ugly son of a gun. So I guess his music isn't that great. I realize that KISS has sold a lot of stuff that doesn't have anyhing to do with music, and they wore silly clothes and makeup, but how does that make the songs worse???
    I don't base them on the "ugly" factor. I base it on the persona of the band, the fact that to me they looked like kiddy cartoon characters, & they were presented that way. I can only say that a few of their songs are decent, but they are never a band I could get serious about...That is just my opinion. I know that some people love this band, but I would have absolutely zero interst in seeing them at a live show. They are tv entertainment at best. JMHO

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Count me among the non Kiss fans. Never really got the whole Kiss Army thing and it really hasn't got much to do with the way they dress. I simply don't like the whole package and that includes their music. I've been known to say if their music is so good, why do they need the costumes but I don't know if that's fair because even without the makeup, etc... I don't like them. I can think of only a couple of their songs I've ever really liked and that was Beth and Detroit Rock City. I will say that I think Gene Simmons must be a genius with the way he's marketed them. And I really like watching Family Jewels--I get a kick out of his kids and wife and the way they pretty much laugh some of his antics off. And I do own Ace Frehley's album (from when they each put out a solo album way back when) because I do love the song New York Groove.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Quote Originally Posted by Topkat View Post
    I don't base them on the "ugly" factor. I base it on the persona of the band, the fact that to me they looked like kiddy cartoon characters, & they were presented that way. I can only say that a few of their songs are decent, but they are never a band I could get serious about...That is just my opinion. I know that some people love this band, but I would have absolutely zero interst in seeing them at a live show. They are tv entertainment at best. JMHO

How are they Just "Tv Entertainment" You are being WAY Too Judgmental, JMO!

Quote Originally Posted by EagleLady View Post
    Its ridiculous to Judge them based on Costumes.
    It's one of the reasons why the word 'illogical' is in the dictionary.

Stuck on the Border

One thing that we should remember about KISS, I think, is that all of their first album and some of the second and third had been written before they even came up with the makeup concept. And in the studio they certainly never wore makeup. So personally I see the the makeup and music as two separate things. In fact I feel that they may even somewhat contradict each other. With the except of The Elder, and possibly a bit of Destroyer, (and occasional pieces like Almost Human) their music is a lot more rock'n'roll than what their superhero image would suggest.
    Anyway, I enjoy most of their 80's music too; and my favourites from that era seem to be the tunes that aren't well known.
    My apologies to Topkat if I was a bit harsh. I guess I'm just a desperate KISS fanatic who sees red whenever his heroes are being talked down, even when that person makes it clear that it's his/her opinion. To me personally that "TV entertainment at best" definition is way beyond silly, but your opinion is just as important as mine.