Page 6 of 165 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656106 ... LastLast

Thread: Rock N Roll Birthdays

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Default Re: Rock N Roll Birthdays

Me too PM---I am so star struck all the time when I see someone like that.

Some people can just go right up to anyone, celebrity or not. For example, Dillon graduated with Sean Astin's (Rudy, Lord Of The Rings etc) sister in law and his wife was a graduate of the our high school so she did the commencement speech this year. He of course was there also with their family. We occasionally see him in the area when they're here visiting etc but my niece last Sunday marched right up to him with pen and program and had him sign it. I would never have that nerve! Same thing with Oprah Winfrey who use to have a home over near here, she'd be spotted around all the time and you'd hear people say they got her autograph or talked to her. Not me for sure! My daughter's dance group use to occasionally practice in the park and one day a stretch limo pulled up and the back window went down and there she sat watching the girls. When they were done she yelled "you go girls!" and they drove off. I guess they are regular people also but still, I wouldn't bother them.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Most people are "just people". There are exceptions. Tiger Woods for example is probably the most recognizable person on the planet. He is VERY unapproachable. Saw him when I went to the US Open in Tulsa in 2001. I pull for him in every tournament but am not impressed by the way he has to conduct his public appearances even when they are not supposed to be "public". Security guards everywhere.

Don Henley on the other hand, when living in Dallas could be seen at the farmer's mart and other places around town and didn't seem to be too bothered by his own notoriety. In fact, before Hotel California, it was pretty well known that while everyone had heard of the Eagles, they weren't "recognizable". Not a lot of up close appearances on TV and stuff like that and it's hard to recognize someone who performs on stage when even the close seats are pretty far back relatively speaking.

Plus, I think that most of the performers have to have a "second sense" about encountering people who are going to make a scene and make them uncomfortable. There is nothing intimidating about me and not too many have intimidated me. Not as far as being famous or rich or anything like that.

I respect their need for a certain amount of privacy when spotted in public. If Gibons and Hill had wanted to put on the "star" act at the table, I'd have gone along with it. But they didn't give any impression of wanting anyone to be impressed with them. I just enjoyed playing BJ with them. I would have like to have talked with Billy about his car collection though.

When I was a kid in Benton, Arkansas (1963, 1964 somewhere along in there), I worked at a Safeway grocery store. There was a really famous country singer who lived in Benton. Charlie Rich (The Silver Fox) was his name. He'd come in to the store every couple of weeks and buy a couple of carts of food. Back then, the sackers (those of us who sacked up groceries in paper sacks) hauled the groceries out and loaded them in the back seats or trunks of the shopper's vehicles. Most of the customers would tip us a dime or quarter if we were really lucky. Not Rich! I never got so much as a "thank you" from him. I got the impression that he though he was better than everyone else.

Good thing I was never a country fan or I'd have quit being a fan of his <LOL>

And to keep this on-topic....Joe Walsh: One of the most comfortable people to be around that I have ever met. When I met him, I felt that where he was was exactly where he wanted to be and he had a genuine interest in what was important to those he was meeting. Joe is "for real" unless he's going into that comedy persona he developed to allow him to sidestep things he didn't want to talk about.
    Last edited by MikeA; 06-11-2009 at 03:45 PM.

MikeA

It's too bad that so many 'celebrities' let their notoriety go to their heads. The way I see it, they're just plain people doing a JOB and earning a living like everyone else. Only difference is their jobs put their faces out there where people can recognize them. I'll bet Don, Glenn, Joe and Timothy put their pants on like everyone else in the world -- one leg at a time -- and they're entitled to their privacy when they aren't on stage. How many of you have heard the interview where Timothy talks about 'taking out the garbage' when he's at home?!?
    I just need a little downtime.........

Thanks for that, Mike. Interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by cynd1231 View Post
    I'll bet Don, Glenn, Joe and Timothy put their pants on like everyone else in the world -- one leg at a time --
    I really think we need some strong, visual proof of this before we can make such assumptions...

Rhonda, you really need to resurrect The Long Story. "One Leg At A Time" is there for the taking!

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Quote Originally Posted by Troubadour View Post
    I really think we need some strong, visual proof of this before we can make such assumptions...
    Mike, I'm sorry but I think troub is absolutely right here. Some things need to be thoroughly researched - I mean we just can't take your word for it on something this important!!!

Now, as far as approaching celebrities, I am reluctant to do it most of the time. But I'm not saying I never would. However, I would assess the situation before I did it to see if I felt like it was an appropriate time.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Troubadour View Post
    Thanks for that, Mike. Interesting!

Rhonda, you really need to resurrect The Long Story. "One Leg At A Time" is there for the taking!
    Isn't that an old gospel song?
    One leg at a time, Sweet Jesus...
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Cathy you crack me up

Today Paul McCartney turns 67.

Please see the beautiful tribute Mrs. Frey has made to him in the Paul McCartney thread.

Happy Birthday to Ann Wilson of Heart who is 59 today!

I can't tell you how talented and beautiful I think this woman is!! Love Love Love Heart!!!!!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5PKULglde8[/ame]

My daughter's favorite Heart song
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uvr3dmptvg[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQ6K7eUEpj8[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxfdDrKO8uM[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQcQnDFhjxo&feature=related[/ame]

And boy can she ever belt out the Zeppelin!
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8pwfw9LY6o[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uhfzVEc5Nw&feature=related[/ame]

Thanks TBF. I love Heart too. Ann Wilson is a great, great vocalist. You've already posted the cream of the crop. Here's one of the softer songs, Dog and Butterfly. Just shows you what control she has! Very beautiful song.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RDGnXEHUO4[/ame]
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.