Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526 LastLast

Thread: Share the Music You Love

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Default Re: Share the Music You Love

I thought I'd bump this thread and give a list of some of my favourite albums by my favourite artists:

Bob Dylan - Bringing It All Back Home, Highway 61 Revisited, Blood On The Tracks
    Dire Straits - Dire Straits, Making Movies, Love Over Gold (I should also mention Mark Knopfler's excellent second solo album Sailing To Philadelphia)
    Eagles - All the '70s albums but especially Desperado, On The Border and Hotel California (I also really like Don's The End Of The Innocence)
    Fleetwood Mac - Fleetwood Mac (1975, aka 'The White Album') and Rumours
    Led Zeppelin - Everything from I through to Physical Graffiti but especially IV, II and PG.
    Lynyrd Skynyrd - Pronounced Leh-Nerd Skin-Nerd
    Neil Young (including with Crazy Horse) - After The Gold Rush, Harvest, Zuma, Rust Never Sleeps, Sleeps With Angels
    Pink Floyd - My personal top five are all from the 1970s, these being Meddle, The Dark Side Of The Moon, Wish You Were Here, Animals and The Wall
    Wishbone Ash - Argus

Hopefully this should show where I'm coming from musically, there were a few I didn't want to leave out but I wanted to keep it reasonably selective - I also have Second Helping and Pilgrimage by Skynyrd and Wishbone Ash respectively which I really like but the two in my list are my favourites, same with Pink Floyd where I enjoy Atom Heart Mother and The Division Bell a lot. I also considered including U2's The Joshua Tree in my list although that is the only album of theirs that I really like. I think it is an excellent record although I don't like much they've done since and am not exactly a fan of Mr Hewson.

I might come back later and pick personal favourite tracks. I wouldn't find it too easy to rank all of my favourite albums although I know Pink Floyd's Dark Side and Wish You Were Here would be somewhere near the top, with albums like Hotel California, Rumours, Led Zeppelin IV and Rust Never Sleeps also in the mix.

Welcome!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Welcome to the Border Johnny and Redstorm! And Redstorm, I have to say we have very similar taste in music - I love your list!

Having already listed a number of my favourite albums, I decided to take a different, rather mathematical approach to looking at my favourite music by creating a list which would hopefully provide a good representation of my favourite albums by ranking them in order of my own personal preference.

In order to do this, I gave every song on each album a rating of 10 according to the following scale:
    10 - Brilliant
    9 - Excellent
    8 - Very good
    7 - Good
    6 - Decent
    5 - Mediocre
    4 - Troubled
    3 - Poor
    2 - Very poor
    1 - Truly awful
    0 - Indescribably awful

I wanted to ensure that 10/10 ratings were relatively rare otherwise they lose their value. I don't think I own any 0/10 or 1/10 tracks in my collection - those never make it as far as my iTunes.

To get the average rating for a given album, I took the total from adding together the number out of ten I handed out to each song and dividing this by the total number of songs. A few exceptions were made to this rule in unusual cases. There are some songs which I grouped together, such as Wasted Time and the reprise, as well as Speak To Me and Breathe from Pink Floyd's Dark Side Of The Moon.

I haven't rated my full collection just yet, there are some albums which are too new (including LROOE) to hand out definitive ratings to just yet, and there are others which I haven't listened to in a long time, although I would not expect these to rate very highly. I've also ignored Best Of or Greatest Hits compilations - I don't think these should be compared to the main albums.

As a result, here is my top twenty-five albums, with the rating obtained shown by each one. Albums by the Eagles are highlighted in bold.
    1. Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd - 9.6
    2. The Dark Side Of The Moon - Pink Floyd - 9.4
    3= Hotel California - 9.25
    3= Led Zeppelin IV - 9.25
    5. Blood On The Tracks - Bob Dylan - 9.2
    6. Love Over Gold - Dire Straits - 9.2
    7. Rumours - Fleetwood Mac - 9.17
    8. Argus - Wishbone Ash - 9.14
    9. Rust Never Sleeps - Neil Young - 9.11
    10. Desperado - 9.0
    11= Animals - Pink Floyd - 9.0
    11= Pronounced Leh-Nerd Skin-Nerd - Lynyrd Skynyrd - 9.0
    11= Highway 61 Revisited - Bob Dylan - 9.0
    11= Led Zeppelin II - 9.0
    15. Led Zeppelin I - 8.89
    16. Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere - Neil Young - 8.86
    17. Meddle - Pink Floyd - 8.8
    18. Bringing It All Back Home - Bob Dylan - 8.73
    19. Physical Graffiti - Led Zeppelin - 8.67
    20. Making Movies - Dire Straits - 8.57
    21. Dire Straits - 8.56
    22. After The Gold Rush - Neil Young - 8.55
    23. Houses of the Holy - Led Zeppelin - 8.5
    24. On The Border - 8.5
    25. Fleetwood Mac - 8.45

Selected others
    30= Eagles (tied with Led Zeppelin III) - 8.4
    34. The End Of The Innocence - Don Henley - 8.2
    38= One Of These Nights - Eagles (tied with Sailing To Philadelphia) - 8.0
    43. But Seriously, Folks... - Joe Walsh - 7.86
    44. The Long Run - Eagles - 7.8

If two albums have the same rating, then the album with the greater number of 10/10 songs is given the higher position. If they the same number of 10/10 songs, then they are tied although the. Oddly enough I genuinely couldn't split HC and LZ IV - both had three 10/10s from eight songs.

As you can see the Eagles have three in the top 25 with Hotel California standing in an impressive joint third alongside Led Zeppelin IV, behind the two Pink Floyd albums (which I previously identified as being very strong personal favourites). Desperado also makes the top ten.

I'm pretty happy with the top 25 overall, it seems right compared to my opinions although 3-4 albums required adjustments to their ratings. For instance, with Pink Floyd's Meddle giving the two minute throwaway joke song Seamus the same weight as the brilliant side-long Echoes, an easy 10/10, was ridiculous so I gave Echoes the same weight as the rest of the album put together. I was slightly surprised to see Neil Young's Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere above After The Gold Rush, although it makes sense when I think about it (both are very strong albums). Love Over Gold by Dire Straits is perhaps slightly too high - I probably wouldn't put it above Rust Never Sleeps or Rumours - but not too far out, and it does benefit slightly from having only five tracks.

The positions of some of those later albums I listed might not be that high in my ratings (I did this for 54 albums in total from my collection) but nonetheless their average ratings based on the quality of the songs are still fairly high. If I wanted to find some albums which didn't get high ratings I could rank the songs from my sister's Taylor Swift albums (which I have had to listen to a lot over the years...). We Are Never Getting Back Together would get a 1/10 from me! 2 if I was being very generous.

Stuck on the Border

Wow! What an exercise! I only have one comment.... Sailing To Philadelphia is a far superior album to One Of These Nights (runs & hides).

No need to run and hide (at least not from me!), in fact I'm happy to reveal the ratings I gave to each of the tracks from those two albums:

ONE OF THESE NIGHTS - Eagles
    One Of These Nights - 10
    Too Many Hands - 8
    Hollwood Waltz - 7
    Journey Of The Sorcerer - 8
    Lyin' Eyes - 10
    Take It To The Limit - 9
    Visions - 6
    After The Thrill Is Gone - 9
    I Wish You Peace - 5
    Av = 72/9 = 8.0

I think I got these ratings right as far as my own personal opinion is concerned. Others are entitled disagree of course!

SAILING TO PHILADELPHIA - Mark Knopfler
    What It Is - 10
    Sailing To Philadelphia - 10
    Who's Your Baby Now - 8
    Baloney Again - 8
    The Last Laugh - 7
    Do America - 7
    Silvertown Blues - 9
    El Macho - 6
    Prairie Wedding - 9
    Wanderlust - 7
    Speedway At Nazareth - 9
    Junkie Doll - 7
    Sands Of Nevada - 6
    One More Matinee - 9
    Average rating = 112/14 = 8.0

Looking at these ratings again, I don't think I did quite such a good job here. I had a listen to all of the tracks which I gave a 7 or lower another listen and these are my thoughts in retrospect:
    - The Last Laugh - It's a very good duet and I'm not sure why I gave it 7 now. My bad.
    - Do America - I like it but the melody and sound is a bit too generic for my liking. 7 is about right I feel.
    - El Macho - I don't really dig the reggae sound. The only reggae-type song I like is D'yer Mak'er and that's really a parody of the genre. Hence, a 6.
    - Wanderlust - Like it but not a favourite, so gets a 7.
    - Sands Of Nevada - It had never really clicked with me until now but I definitely like it better than I used to and I certainly justify upping this to a 7.

I also think Baloney Again deserves a 9 rather than a 8, it has some really nice lyrics and some excellent guitar parts. Therefore I can amend Sailing To Philadelphia's average to 115/14 = 8.21. This puts it in 34th place, just above The End Of The Innocence (and above One Of These Nights). I can't give myself better than 5/10 for my original ratings for the album!

Freypower, you might also be interested to know that while Making Movies already has the honour of making my top 20, this is with all seven tracks included, and if my least favourite track Les Boys (which I gave a 5/10 rating) is ignored, the album gets an average of 9.17, which would put it 8th on the list.

I don't plan on revealing all of my songs ratings for the albums in my list, but if anyone's interested in any more specific details I would be happy to provide them, feel free to ask by all means.

Stuck on the Border

I thought El Macho was supposed to have a slightly Spanish feel because of the title.

You are probably correct about El Macho - I have seen it being described as reggae before (on another forum I think) and didn't really know any better so went along it. Either way the song isn't one of my favourites by Mark, unfortunately.

Looking back at my list I notice I forgot to include Junkie Doll - my opinion on that song varies a bit, I think it's got a memorable chorus but at other times I find the lyrics slightly uncomfortable to listen to. I'd say I do like it overall though.

One thing I must point out is that no song on Sailing To Philadelphia gets a rating below 6 - songs which I rate as a 5 or lower, such as I Wish You Peace, are the ones that I consider skipping when listening to an album in full.

Having done a couple of lists for my favourite albums, I thought maybe it would be a good idea to show you some of my favourite songs.

For this list I decided to exclude most of my big personal favourite artists as I tend to have too many songs I love by them to narrow down just to one and in any case I thought I would make for a more interesting exercise by leaving out Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Neil Young and co (and, of course, the Eagles). The one exception to this is Fleetwood Mac, where because Rumours has always been my favourite album by them and I know exactly which song is my favourite I felt they were worth including.

I first heard some of these songs back in my childhood and bring back quite a lot of personal memories, others which I've discovered more recently are just songs that I think are top notch. I'd be more than happy to elaborate on this if there is any interest.

Blue Oyster Cult - (Don't Fear) The Reaper
    Jackson Browne - Sky Blue And Black
    Chris Rea - The Road To Hell
    Coldplay - Don't Panic
    Deep Purple - Highway Star
    Fleetwood Mac - The Chain
    Jimi Hendrix Experience - All Along The Watchtower (though I love Bob's original too)
    Lynyrd Skynyrd - Simple Man / Free Bird (sorry... couldn't separate these two stone cold classics!)
    Steely Dan - Reelin' In The Years
    R.E.M. - Man On The Moon
    James Taylor - Fire And Rain
    Wishbone Ash - Throw Down The Sword

This probably also wouldn't be a bad time to establish my favourite Don Henley and Joe Walsh solo songs. My three Don favourites are BOS, The End Of The Innocence and The Heart Of Matter, from Joe (whose solo works I've only started to discover more recently - I'd heard of Don before I heard of the Eagles, but not Joe) I'm not quite as sure but RMW and LBG would definitely be up there, from the less obvious songs I really love Second Hand Store and Theme From Boat Weirdos.

Stuck on the Border

Those are good. Nice to find someone who loves Man On The Moon as much as I do.