Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles Self-Titled LP Survivor

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: Eagles Self-Titled LP Survivor

That is a lovely post, Soda. While I'm not as passionate as you are about MOUAS, I have gained a better appreciation for it over the years. I used to consider it mundane and boring, but I have come to believe it is a very pretty song, both lyrically and vocally. It's probably moved up a few notches on my ranking lists, which doesn't happen that often with me. I also like Nightingale and Train Leaves Here This Morning at lot. And I REALLY love the raw, sexy, rockin' Chug All Night.

Now, unfortunately, one song that hasn't grown on me is Take the Devil. I like it okay, but it really just doesn't do much for me. There is something about Randy's vocals in the song that I just don't care for - they sound shrill and forced. I'm also not crazy about the melody. Anyway, I know some don't agree, but like GL said, it's just the way I am.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    That is a lovely post, Soda.

Now, unfortunately, one song that hasn't grown on me is Take the Devil. I like it okay, but it really just doesn't do much for me. There is something about Randy's vocals in the song that I just don't care for - they sound shrill and forced. I'm also not crazy about the melody. Anyway, I know some don't agree, but like GL said, it's just the way I am.
    Dreamer, I couldn't put into words what bothered me about this song, but your description of the vocals expresses the way I feel about the song too.

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Now it's time for me to mount my defense of "Most of Us Are Sad"!

I feel this song is so underrated. I blame the title, which makes it sound very simplistic. However, if you listen closely to the song, it has such depth, and is actually quite moving.

Randy's vocal is so genuine and vulnerable, so earnest; he sings of sadness and of comfort, of perservering in the face of pain. What really moves me is the most encouraging verse. Before he had been singing essentially alone with subtle backing, but here, he's joined by swelling harmonies as he gets to that final piece of encouragement: Love was here today - oh, the sun was bright. I will sing you far away... love is here tonight.

The beauty, the comfort one can derive from music singing you far away... I have actually teared up at that part. The respite from pain may not be permanent, but it's there and it's real, and it's why I'm so passionate about these guys that I would spend ridiculous amounts of time and money on building and maintaining a fansite. It's my way of thanking them.

I adore this song.

Soda, this is beautiful.

I am especially enamoured of the point made concerning the comfort found in music. Thank goodness you chose to thank our guys with The Border. Win/win.
    ----------------------------

I'm going to vote for Chug All Night.
    Last edited by LuvTim; 07-09-2016 at 09:59 PM.

It's all in your smile that brings
    All of the special things about you

Border Desperado SoaringRockyMountainWay's Avatar

I vote for Chug All Night. It's a jammin' song but when I was trying to decide between it and Tryin' I thought that Tryin' has some confidence boosting lyrics.
    People talking about us they got nothing else to do. When it all comes down we will still come through in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by SoaringRockyMountainWay View Post
    I vote for Chug All Night. It's a jammin' song but when I was trying to decide between it and Tryin' I thought that Tryin' has some confidence boosting lyrics.
    same here

Border Desperado

My vote is for Take the Devil.

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

I'm going to go with my heart this time around and vote for Nightingale - quite simply out of these ten songs it is the one that does least me for me.

From my point of view I'm kind of sorry to lose Earlybird in the first round, I like that one a lot. However, it was very close in the end between it and Tryin' and I am glad the first song to go wasn't Take The Devil or Train Leaves Here This Morning (my two favourite non-hits from this album).

My vote is for Most of us are sad - I like the music but I just find it extremely depressing and I'm really sad after listening to it!!
    "The more I know, the less I understand...."

Don't crack up, bend your brain, see both sides, throw off your mental chains"

I'm voting for Tryin'.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Some of my family members and I just decided to check out a new restaurant for dinner tonight, so the results of this round may be a little late in getting posted. As usual, please do not proceed to the next round until Soda or I post the official results. I shouldn't be too late, so I'll get them posted ASAP.

I cast my vote for Tryin'.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016