Page 28 of 56 FirstFirst ... 1824252627282930313238 ... LastLast

Thread: Little things that remind you of the Eagles

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Default Re: Little things that remind you of the Eagles

Yup, a lot of these modern build (post-1990) stadia are named in deference to their sponsors, and some periodically change their names as sponsorship deals come to their end. The John Smith's Stadium is as a great example as the lager company gives its name to the third official title in the 22-year history of Huddersfield's new stadium (it was initially named the Alfred McAlpine after its builders and was then called the Galpharm Stadium, in deference to a medical company).

Some of these names make odd reading alongside the traditional names like Anfield, Villa Park and Old Trafford, and the names often give an idea as to which level the club plays at. At the very highest level, Arsenal and Manchester City's new stadia are named after the Emirates and Etihad airlines respectively, but as you move down the league ladder the names become less glamorous and in some cases a lot more silly. Cheltenham Town, for instance, play at the ridiculously titled 'World Of Smile Stadium' - not dentists, sadly! They make conservatories, apparently!

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

It's the same in the U.S. unfortunately. The Dolphins Stadium where the Miami Dolphins play has gone through many name changes. People were annoyed when it was called Landshark Stadium for a time, after the beer co-owned by Eagles pal Jimmy Buffett. Many people thought it was silly and refused to use the name. At least it wasn't called Parrothead or Margaritaville Stadium.

Stuck on the Border

Here, I saw the Eagles at what was once Allianz Arena, then Allphones Arena, now the Qudos Bank Arena. The old Entertainment Centre was called the Qantas Credit Union Arena when I saw them there for the last time.

The most famous example of a failed name change in the UK was when Newcastle United attempted to change the name of their iconic St James Park to Sports Direct Arena. The fans wouldn't have a bar of it.

A lot of people are disappointed with the corporate names stadiums now get. How many Verizon Wireless Arenas do you need?? And I refuse to call the New Orleans Arena "The Smoothie King Center."

That's the way it is, unfortunately. At least Azoff kept the traditional names of "The Forum" and "Madison Square Garden" on the venues he owns with Dolan.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

One of the chapters in the book I'm reading is called Grab Life By the (Golden) Throat, which reminded by of David Geffen's nickname for Don Henley.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

I like a lot of indie films and the Toronto International Film Festival announced their line up and some of the films' titles stood out to me as they're song titles like "The Edge of Seventeen" (which I watched the trailer and it looks good), "American Honey", but one reminded me of Glenn and it's called "Strange Weather". They're also going to debut "The Magnificent Seven" remake there too.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Out on the Border TequilaSunrise82's Avatar

There is a guy at my new job who looks like a slightly less handsome version of young Glenn. The best part, he's from Michigan!

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Yesterday, on an episode of Green Acres I watched, Mr. Douglas made a remark about it being a long hot summer.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Was surprised to see a young lass, maybe 13 or 14 years old, at the mall wearing a Hotel California t-shirt. Maybe she was wearing it ironically. I live in a place where many/most people are not rock music fans. The demographics are against it.

Drove again past the little village of Eagleville, MO a few days ago.
    I've got to stop there sometime.

It's all in your smile that brings
    All of the special things about you