Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Least favourite Eagles song?

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Least favourite Eagles song?

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Mine is I Wish You Peace but Love Will Keep Us Alive is up there. It is one of two Eagles songs which ISN'T on my iPod. The other is Please Come Home For Christmas, which I have never liked.

In terms of songs you can't understand why they are adored...I suppose I have two, Best Of My Love & The Long Run.

I have never felt the antipathy to The Disco Strangler that others do except I suppose that it is relentlessly negative & that it has no backing vocals. I like that they ditched the syrupy strings that were such a big feature of the prevous album. I like how direct it is. It is a superior song to Greeks & Teenage Jail.
    Love Will Keep Us Alive is definitely another one that does nothing for me.

On a general note (nothing to do with Freypower's post) , I realize that it's a common practice to write just the first letter of each word in a song title, but I wish that people would write whole the song titles. The LWKUA's, TGDWNF's and PCHFC's say nothing to me and I have to go through the whole discography in my head. Or is there a list somewhere where all the abbreviations can be found??

Quote Originally Posted by MaryCalifornia View Post
    The church and Jesus references in TLR don't bother me. It's the totality of the preachiness and political self-righteousness. It's like a caricature of an environmentalist. It's just too earnest and serious and pompous and cynical. I'm surprised critics like it.

No More Walks in the Woods is a hokey concept, but I could listen to the four of them singing in harmony all day, no matter what the lyrics are, so I don't mind that one as much as if it were only one of the guys singing it.
    MC you hit the nail right on the head - this is what bothers me about TLR as well. Especially the part about political self righteousness. I know that some artists (like Don) see themselves as using art to promote their views and to change peoples minds. That's his prerogative. And it's my prerogative to skip that song when it comes on! I listen to their music to enjoy it, not be told what an awful person I am. A while back people got mad and walked out of a Linda Ronstadt concert in Vegas because she started talking about Michael Moore and what a great person he was, etc. I would have walked out too. You pay money to hear them perform, not preach. I do have to say that the Eagles don't do that, and only have a couple of songs that preach their beliefs.

Chaim: it took me a while to get them all figured out as well

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Thanks! I actually had this very very very vague memory of seeing such a list somewhere at some point in my life...and an even more vague memory that it could've actually possible been an Eagles song list.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thelastresort View Post
    Agree with you on everything re: TLR. Also, as far as I know none of the guys were / are staunch atheists or anti-religion so I wouldn't necessarily believe they said what they did maliciously - I expect at times they also had some kind of relationship or connection with Christianity. The way I kinda read it is he's saying that people go to church on Sunday and thank God for his mercy and blessings yet they either as individuals or a collective watch or partake in the destruction of the life sources and beauty they have been given. (My apologies if that offends any Christians on here, it's genuinely not meant to and is just the way I read it and I think Henley would come down on it.)
    I think your take is what they were saying. I'll agree that as a group, Christians can be as hypocritical as anyone else, we're human after all. However, we were singled out in the song and others weren't. I could say that there've been non-Christians who have destroyed life sources, I assume there have been, but it's not up to me to judge who's Christian and who isn't.

I thought of this song when I first posted and erased the post because I've never been quite sure if I'm being fair to them by being offended by the song. Like Dreamer said, the performance of it, the backgrounds, the rest of it is a top-notch song. That's why I went with Funky New Year, I don't care for any parts of it.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

I enjoy TLResort, but it's not on my top ten list. I think it is a message for mankind, not just for Christians. I don't take the song personally & I am a Christian. Read both Glenn & Don's comments about the meaning of the song in 'Conversation With Don Henley & Glenn Frey' in the booklet with Eagles - The Very Best Of . They both say 'we' & not 'they' have done the destruction. I believe they are talking about mankind, not just Christians. I think that Christians are used as an example of the hypocracy of man. Glenn is a Christian & I get the indication that Don is too (although I'm not positive on that). I know he believes in God.

All this being said, I don't like the 'Jesus, people bought 'em' line. It is quite evident in the HFO performance of the song that there is a comma after 'Jesus'.

Mine is Doolin' Dalton. Even the title is cringe worthy. I like to call it Droolin' Dalton. Everything on the Deperado album that isn't Outlaw Man is fairly cringe worthy to me. "They made a f'n cowboy album!!" My feelings exactly.

Wintertime is a razor blade that the devil made
    It's the price we pay for the summertime - J.W. '69

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Visitor View Post
    Mine is Doolin' Dalton. Even the title is cringe worthy. I like to call it Droolin' Dalton. Everything on the Deperado album that isn't Outlaw Man is fairly cringe worthy to me. "They made a f'n cowboy album!!" My feelings exactly.

Oh so sorry for you. I beleive this is the best album! Can't beat the harmonies or music. Sorry MV gotta disagree.

Desperado is my favorite album too and I adore the DD / D Reprise... funny how tastes vary!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I agree with ya, Soda except Desperado is a very close second only to Hotel California as my favorite album.

This thread reminded me of another thread from a few years ago about the weakest Eagles songs, which is a little different from least favorite. The non-scientific results at that time were that Borderers thought the five weakest Eagles songs were as follows ...

1) Disco Stranger
    2) Teenage Jail
    3) I Wish You Peace
    4) Most of Us Are Sad
    5) Take the Devil

There was some interesting discussion in the thread, so if anyone is interested in reading it, here is the link ...

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/...ead.php?t=1637

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016