Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles Mentions in TV Shows

Border Desperado

Default Re: Eagles Mentions in TV Shows

The Seinfeld episode is great!

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

Cameron Crowe's show "Roadies" had an Eagles shoutout last night as Luke Wilson and Carla Gugino's characters Bill and Shelli were talking about how Gram Parsons brought about the rise of country music becoming what it is today and the reason Shelli's husband has a job working for Taylor Swift. Bill said without Gram getting popular country music would still be stuck in the traditional ways of the 50s and there would be no Eagles, Garth Brooks, Kenny Chesney, Tim McGraw, and Taylor Swift. I totally agree with this statement as I've been a country music fan my whole life too and while it's split into various subgenres now if it wasn't for the 70s country-rock artists we wouldn't have a lot of popular country artists in the 80s, 90s, 00s, and now.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

I was watching one of those Treehouse of Horror episodes (Part XVI episode) on the Simpson and they started to play New Kid IN Town.
    Last edited by shunlvswx; 08-03-2016 at 12:19 PM.

I finally got to watch the episodes of "Documentary Now!" where they parodied the "History of the Eagles" doc and it was hilarious!!!! LOL I cracked up so much during it. I saw it was posted before on here last year but it's first season is now on Netflix and I had been meaning to check out the whole show for awhile as I love Bill Hader and this was their season finale and it was so great. Bill and Fred Armisen from "Saturday Night Live" star in the show as it parodies famous documentaries and the finale was about their fictional 70s country-rock band Blue Jean Committee. You can tell they are totally based off the Eagles and this "doc" mainly focuses on the two founding members Gene and Clark, both from Chicago but having a California sound.

Bill's Clark character was totally based off Glenn mostly and it freaked me out so much seeing the shorter hair wig Bill used for older Clark as it looked like how Glenn had his hair these past couple years. LOL But Clark also looked a bit like Timothy with the 70s long hair wig and as he was the bass player, but at times has Glenn's mustache. Clark's voice was based off of Randy & Timothy as they kept having people talk about how high Clark sang and how some thought it was a girl and how the girls loved the high notes at the concerts, but then it reminded me of Don because Clark's speaking voice was so much lower than his singing voice. Gene (Fred) was a mix of Don, Felder, and Bernie as he was the co-founder but then the falling out and some of his interview segments looked exactly like theirs.

Irving even played their manager but went by the name Alvin Izoff and they even used footage from the "HOTE" doc of him, Cameron Crowe was in it in playing himself and said he went on tour with them in 1974 and it was nuts. LOL They even had other real life musicians and music writers do interview segments, and some of the performances and photos looked exactly like the Eagles ones from the 70s.

They even had a similar feud that broke up the band, a scene where they were singing harmonies backstage at the beginning, I heard actual versions of Eagles songs as the background music, their song titles were so fitting especially "Catalina Breeze", and Clark had an experience seeing seagulls fly by that he felt told him they needed to have a California sound but turned out they were just pigeons. LOL

It was so funny but also really sad because of how it ended. I also just thought it was odd how Bill's played Lindsay Buckingham on "SNL" and now played a Glenn/Timothy/Randy mash up character as I love all five. And I'm really looking forward to their 2nd season which starts on IFC in September and what they parody next.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Buffyfan145, your recap of that episode made me chuckle a bit. Thanks for sharing. I'll check it out soon.

I recorded an episode called, "What's Goin' On" from the CNN documentary series, The Seventies. I was hoping they would feature the Eagles more but nope. They mention the Troubadour and J.D. Souther is one of the interviewees as well as Mick Fleetwood when they talk about Fleetwood Mac. When referring to the Eagles, only Henley and Frey are mentioned and that's it. Nothing else is said and it's just their name drop. They featured Linda Ronstadt singing "Faithless Love" in a clip from back in the day. The show features clips of performances of "Rhiannon" and "Go Your Own Way."

I was disappointed in the lack of Eagles coverage but the doc was done in 2015. I don't blame them for not doing much because of the existence of HOTE.
    Last edited by RudieCantFail; 08-03-2016 at 03:57 AM.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by buffyfan145 View Post
    Gene (Fred) was a mix of Don, Felder, and Bernie as he was the co-founder but then the falling out and some of his interview segments looked exactly like theirs.
    I also thought the Gene character had a bit of Randy in him, as "the nice guy who finishes last" archetype. Gene goes back to working in a sausage factory while Clark lives in opulent Malibu splendor.

The animal rights concert/fight scene was directly based on the Eagles' Long Beach show, and it was a hoot. It's all so exaggerated, one can't get offended.

Stuck on the Border

I was disappointed in the music chapter of the CNN 70s. It seemed odd that a documentary about the US in the 70s should all but ignore the most successful american band of that decade. Perhaps they felt that Fleetwood Mac filled that spot.

I'm still looking for Documentary Now! Netflix only has it for the US.

You're welcome Redstorm.

NMB, I totally agree I didn't find it offensive either and it was so funny. Felt like an almost hour long "SNL" sketch. I didn't even realize that Randy connection with Gene. Plus, turns out the Blue Jean Committee originally was an "SNL" sketch and they "performed" on the show in 2011 but were from Massachusetts instead of Chicago like in the doc. Besides Fred, Jason Sudeikis was the drummer, Keenan Thompson the bass player before Bill, as Jason Segel who hosted was their keyboard player, and a random appearance of Paul Rudd, Bill, and the Muppets as fans. I also read an article about it too and turns out Fred's a huge Eagles fan but Bill not so much but he loves "HOTE". LOL
    ~*Amanda*~

https://youtu.be/U5R2pPqHbZg?t=3m35s

I remember this clip from Conan w/ Harrison Ford from 2013, and Andy refers to Glenn in a comment about Ford's picture with a mustache from some time ago. He says, "That's when he was Glenn Frey's food taster." The link is already set to the pertaining part at 3:35.

I was really into Ford's films two years ago, so I knew about this clip. I didn't get the joke back then until I saw pictures of Glenn from the 1970s and photos from Let's Get Harry.
    Last edited by RudieCantFail; 08-04-2016 at 06:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by buffyfan145 View Post
    You're welcome Redstorm.

NMB, I totally agree I didn't find it offensive either and it was so funny. Felt like an almost hour long "SNL" sketch. I didn't even realize that Randy connection with Gene. Plus, turns out the Blue Jean Committee originally was an "SNL" sketch and they "performed" on the show in 2011 but were from Massachusetts instead of Chicago like in the doc. Besides Fred, Jason Sudeikis was the drummer, Keenan Thompson the bass player before Bill, as Jason Segel who hosted was their keyboard player, and a random appearance of Paul Rudd, Bill, and the Muppets as fans. I also read an article about it too and turns out Fred's a huge Eagles fan but Bill not so much but he loves "HOTE". LOL
    Fred wore a leather jacket in the ''doc' just like Felder and did you notice the bear thing lol.

Bill is so blatantly Glenn.