View Poll Results: Do you agree with the Eagles policy on standing at concerts?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. It's rude for people to stand when most folks are sitting - it blocks their view.

10 21.28%
  • No. I should be allowed to stand and dance whenever I want. That's part of the fun!

8 17.02%
  • Maybe. It depends on whether one of the few people standing is in front of me!

5 10.64%
  • I don't care. Whatever the Eagles want is cool with me. It's their show.

3 6.38%
  • I think the Eagles should just take it easy, let what happens happen, and not try to dictate when people can or cannot stand.

21 44.68%
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Standing or Sitting?

Default Standing or Sitting?

So guys, here's the Eagles' policy on standing at concerts, according to inquiries made by a reporter at the Winnipeg Free Press:

"If most people were seated -- say, during a slow number like Peaceful Easy Feeling -- the 'stragglers' who were still standing would be asked to sit like everyone else.

But if the majority of people stood for an up-tempo song like Life In The Fast Lane, security was instructed to let them stay standing."

What do you think of this policy?

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Portland, Oregon (the only rain forest in the Northern Hemisphere)

Default Re: Standing or Sitting?

I had to vote for their policy at this point, not because I have a problem with people dancing and standing at concerts. I love to see people having a great time and dancing, But personally, I have some physical limitations that mean I need to sit occasionally and I hate the idea of having to sit and NOT see a thing when everyone around me is up and dancing. At that concert Cami and I went to, they had a designated area that everyone was welcome to go to and stand in front of the stage and dance, they didnt block anyone's view and it was a lot of fun to see. I know that's probably not possible for a huge venue but even if you just make your way to the aisles, then feel free to boogy-oogy-oogy till ya just caint boogy no mo! I'll join ya when I can!!!!!

I feel I should be able to stand and dance and enjoy myself, it is after all, a concert

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I voted for the last one. I think the Eagles should take it easy and let people do what they want. Good grief, it's a concert that you paid big bucks for.

But, of course, be considerate of people behind you.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Here is exactly what I just put in the Winnipeg thread where I just read this article before I saw this thread....

This really upsets me. As much as I didn't want to believe it- I was afraid all this being made to sit down was "Eagle Policy". It was just to much of a coincidence that it was happening in so many of the arenas. I also fear that it is fast becoming a big joke that the Eagles are insisting people sit for most of the concert. I'm afraid I would be one irate lady if I was told to sit down by an Eagle or one of security. I am capable of common courtesy and I know better than to stand when no one else is and not be disruptive. I don't need to be told to sit in my seat like a preschooler. After paying $200.00 a ticket, I think the fans deserve to have some fun and dance the night away if they want~~~~ as long as it's at the appropriate time.

And just my opinion here--but after paying that kinda $$ to sit in the first 10 rows--if I had been handed one of those flyers--I would have been pretty tempted to act like a preschooler and fold it into a paper airplane and aim it right at an Eagle on stage. Geez!!! It's a freakin' concert that us fans pay huge $$ to enjoy!! I'm almost scared to go to another Eagles concert for fear of being repremended and sent to my room!!

Lighten up while you still can boys!!!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

"If most people were seated -- say, during a slow number like Peaceful Easy Feeling -- the 'stragglers' who were still standing would be asked to sit like everyone else.

But if the majority of people stood for an up-tempo song like Life In The Fast Lane, security was instructed to let them stay standing."
    Okay, I haven't voted in the poll yet. I have to write my thoughts before I can decide how to vote. Sorry, Soda, but I think the way you have the poll questions worded is a bit convoluted here. I'm also probably going to be in a minority on this question because I am actually going to defend the band's policy here.

The way I read this is that the band is not dictating the 'sit or stand' decision. They are letting the audience decide if they want to sit or stand - majority rules. I see nothing wrong with this and think it is actually the fairest way to decide the issue.

Having said this, in my opinion and from my experience, it is the way that the venue's security interprets and enforces the policy that is usually the problem. I had brought this up previously in the Hampton thread. Before the concert, the security folks were coming around announcing to us that there would be absolutely no standing at any time during the concert. Now show me where it says that in the band's guidelines. Of course, I just laughed and shook my head. I knew there was no way they would be able to enforce this in the end. I personally think people should be left alone for the most part, but if 'stragglers' are obstructing others view, then I see no problem with asking them to sit. Most reasonable people do not intentionally try to be rude, and would probably not want to interfere with some else's ability to enjoy the show. But there are also the obnoxious and/or intoxicated people that really don't give a damn. Sorry, but I don't subscribe to the theory that I bought my ticket, therefore, I can do whatever I want in a public venue. I am one of those who believe that one person's rights end where another's begin.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Let me throw this out here also...

Why does there have to be a policy at all?

I have been to tons and tons of concerts--I don't remember there ever being a policy. I think common sense on the part of the fans and the security should be sufficient!! JMHO---again!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

At bottom, I have nothing against it if somebody would like to dance or to stand up but I am not big,
    it disturbs me sometimes if before me people dance and stand up and I nothing more can see.
    However, I can understand it well if some people have the need to stand up or to dance by some songs !
    I want that sometimes too!
    "For the record, we never broke up, we just took a 14-year vacation!"
    (Glenn Frey)

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan View Post
    Let me throw this out here also...

Why does there have to be a policy at all?

I have been to tons and tons of concerts--I don't remember there ever being a policy. I think common sense on the part of the fans and the security should be sufficient!! JMHO---again!
    TBF - in theory I agree with you that there shouldn't be any need for any policy. Actually, again, I think this is the intention of the band. What they are saying in my mind is to let the majority of the audience dictate whether or not they want to stand.

As far as common sense on the part of fans and security, as I said in my post, this is where the problem is. Unfortunately, the fans and security don't always use common sense. I guess the band feels that the majority of the audience has common sense, and therefore, leaves it to their discretion rather than a few individuals who are on a power kick or either don't care about anyone else. Obviously, the band's intention isn't being enforced real well based on my experience in Hampton.

And as far as the poll, I can't vote because none of the options really reflects my opinion.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

I voted for the last option.

I think the band's hearts are in the right place, but to try and control this is not only futile, it's backfiring.

I imagine that the band saw some people being disruptive early on in the tour, and decided to create a "policy" to curb the behavior. However, this only creates bad feelings. When someone is being terribly obnoxious, security is called by the people around them. There is no need for the band to intervene.

By creating this "policy," they have opened the door for the security people to interpret it however way they want and blame it on the band. In Hampton, Dreamer was told that all people were to sit down at all times. In Jacksonville, overzealous security yelled at Jags and ruined her concert experience. In Winnipeg, they were bad enough to garner the band negative press. Inconsistency is inevitable in such situations - not only between venues, but even between sections within the venue; the guards by F3 might be more aggressive than those by F1 for instance, causing even more confusion.

In trying to control the audience's behavior, the Eagles have simply transferred the problem from the audience to the security, and in doing so have generated ill will against themselves with no tangible benefit. There are STILL "stragglers" standing regardless of "Eagle policy." There always will be.

When I read this, I just shook my head, because I knew they were coming off badly and for what? For nothing. The enforcement of the policy is at best ineffective, at worst damaging. Sorry guys, this policy is EPIC FAIL!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten