Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Celebration of "Strange Weather"

Default Re: Celebration of "Strange Weather"

"Part of Me, Part of You" is my favorite Glenn song of all-time. "River of Dreams" and "Brave New World" are my other two faves on the CD. Special mention to "Ain't It Love" - it's only on the Japanese version, but I adore it.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

It looks like being late with these celebrations is the new normal for me, but I can't let this one slip by ...

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY STRANGE WEATHER!!!

Many of you know how much I adore this album. It is not only my favorite Glenn solo album, it is my favorite of all Eagles solo albums - simply a superb piece of work IMHO!!! It'll definitely be playing in my CD player this week. The album is a sleeper, suffering from poor marketing and promotion when it was released. So, if we can play a small part in encouraging folks to give it a listen and in raising awareness, then I'm a happy camper. UTW, so glad you are enjoying it.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    "Part of Me, Part of You" is my favorite Glenn song of all-time. "River of Dreams" and "Brave New World" are my other two faves on the CD. Special mention to "Ain't It Love" - it's only on the Japanese version, but I adore it.

I SO love "Part of me, part of you"....and for the longest time I had no clue who sang it....

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

I got a chance to listen to this album in full tonight before bed. My thoughts on the songs:
    Ratings: (I use in between numbers if I'm torn)
    5 - love it
    4-great
    3-good
    2 - meh
    1- sucks

I didn't rate the short instrumentals number wise

Silent Springs- nice instrumental intro

Long Hot Summer 5, perfect song to describe summer here in Georgia. "Alot of Sweat and Misery"- my exact feelings right now. I don't have central A/C, and my bedroom is the hottest room in the house. Not comfortable in 95 F+ weather! I love the music, and the lyrics really hit home for me. Sometimes the heat makes me so agitated that I do want to kill someone! Possibly my favorite song on the album

Strange Weather 4.5 I love the beat, a great song to Follow Long Hot Summer. I love the chimes at the end

Agua Tranquillo cool Spanish instrumental, but a bit out of place, imo.

Love in the 21st Century - Note to anyone who has not heard this song, DO NOT make the mistake I made and watch the video first.... 5, I love it. Having watched several of my family members fail with the "online dating, thing, this song makes a whole lot of sense.This song has been stuck in my head since I watched my Live in Dublin dvd. The video really turned me off of the song at first.

He Took Advantage 4, I love the music, but since I wasn't around when Regan was president, the song doesn't mean much.

River of Dreams- 5, I'm not a romantic person, but this song gets me. I think that the video helps, seeing Glenn and Cindy being a regular couple with hopes, dreams, desires etc. I love the lines "People don't run out of dreams. People just run out of time"... so true! The intro is nice. It's not needed but, I do like it.

I've got Mine- 4.5, I know that some people see Glenn as a hypocrite in some ways for writing this song given how well off he is financially. I don't. Personally, I love the contrast of the poor people's line of thinking vs. a rich person's. I think that Glenn took a page out of Don's book for this one

Rising Sun my least favorite of the instrumentals

Brave New World- 4.5, sounds like my current struggle for independence and my own new world, though I'm by myself in my struggle. I need to find the strength to stand on my own.

Delicious- 3, I do not like the falsetto at all. He sounds like Michael Jackson, imo. The music is what saves this one. My least favorite song on the album, though

A Walk in the Dark 3.5, I love the atmosphere of this song, very r&b like, kind of ominous feel to it.

Before the Ship Goes Down- 4, I'd give it 4.5 if the tempo was a bit faster. That holds the song back, imo. I do like the "live today for tomorrow we might die" attitude. Live life to the fullest!

Big Life -3.5 I almost started singing Sympathy for the Devil because of the first verse! It's a fun comedic song, but nothing special. A definite contrast compared to most of the songs on this album!

POMPOY- 4.5, a choice for the album closer. Beautiful song

Overall, a great album, possibly my favorite of Glenn's solo albums. The worst song is still worthy of a "good" rating.

I'd write more, but it's 2:30 am, and I need sleep!
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Banned

Thanks for sharing your thoughts AlreadyGone95.

Interesting that you feel a little disengaged by He Took Advantage (Blues For Ronald Reagan). The Eagles are usually pretty universal. Living through the 80s, I was quite able to identify with He Took Advantage, despite being European. The two occasions, that I can recall, that I've felt a little excluded are; Joe's Anthology CD cover, where he's dressed in a stars and stripes suit, and Henley's, U.S. centric lyrics of Long Road Out Of Eden.

Your possibly, "favorite song on the album" Long Hot Summer was about the disenchantment and tensions of the Reagan/Bush era that culminated in the 1992 Los Angeles Riots, a couple of months after Strange Weather was released.

I think the lyrics to I've Got Mine are cringe-worthy. I don't know where Glenn gets the idea that poor people are morally less reprehensible than rich people. They're just the same but have less money/capital.

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts AlreadyGone95.

Interesting that you feel a little disengaged by He Took Advantage (Blues For Ronald Reagan). The Eagles are usually pretty universal. Living through the 80s, I was quite able to identify with He Took Advantage, despite being European. The two occasions, that I can recall, that I've felt a little excluded are; Joe's Anthology CD cover, where he's dressed in a stars and stripes suit, and Henley's, U.S. centric lyrics of Long Road Out Of Eden.

Your possibly, "favorite song on the album" Long Hot Summer was about the disenchantment and tensions of the Reagan/Bush era that culminated in the 1992 Los Angeles Riots, a couple of months after Strange Weather was released.

I think the lyrics to I've Got Mine are cringe-worthy. I don't know where Glenn gets the idea that poor people are morally less reprehensible than rich people. They're just the same but have less money/capital.
    Well, I didn't live through the 80s, so I can't understand the sentiment behind the song much. In some ways, I can liken the song to Bush Jr, which is easier for me to identify with.

As for Long Hot Summer, it still rings true. With the Trayvon Martin shooting, Michael Brown shooting, the guy being choked to death in NYC for selling loose cigarettes etc. Most of those events took place in the summertime, and have brung alot of discontent even down here in Georgia, which makes an already hot summer even worse. Heck, even local events do that!

Imo, from my life experiences, less well off people tend to have their priorities more straight. Could Glenn have not been so straightforward with the song? Yes, but the straightforward-ness is part of why I like the song.

ETA: All in all, I'm glad that Glenn tackled some serious issues on this album.
    Last edited by AlreadyGone95; 06-15-2015 at 04:03 PM.
    -Kim-

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    F50, I'm surprised you came up with that. I've never given it much thought. I do know that many are taught to believe that the more you are given, more that is expected from you. "To whom much is given, much is expected." (Luke 12:48 ). Whether one studies the Bible or not, it's one of those concepts that has pervaded our culture. However, I do agree that there are reprehensible poor people (as well as in the group in between).

I imagine that when this was written, Glenn had more contact with the wealthy people, and I can just imagine the things he saw and heard. Of course, he also, towards the end of the song, admitted that he could do better himself. I imagine we all can.

ETA: I thought about this on the way home. I heard this stat recently, so it wasn't around when the song was written, but I imagine things weren't that different back then. I can't remember the exact percentage and the exact buckets, because my mind was so completely blown by the end of it. The 'poor' in the US donate a lot more, I can't remember the %, but it was over 5%. Wealthy people in this country average a whopping 1% donation to charity/helping others. Reading that blew everything that preceded it out of my mind. It's an average and of course there are wealthy people who donate a lot more, there are poor people who donate less, but it's an idea of the moral malnutrition Glenn sang about.
    Last edited by VAisForEagleLovers; 06-15-2015 at 05:24 PM.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

I want to expand on my earlier post now that I have more time to do so. Here's a personal anecdote my childhood:

I grew up in a very poor, rural area (still live here, actually). I went to the local public school. I was looked down upon my the more wealthier people around because of that. "She's white... why is she going to the poor "black" school?". I heard that so much. The school was 99% black. Truth be told, my parents couldn't afford to send me out of county for school. Even some of the kids and adults at my church did this. I would mention my school and it would be like I'd taken the Lord's name in vain.

The point that I'm trying to make is that because I went to public schools, some of the white people who know my family, treated us like we were inferior to them. I was one of the best students in my class, but my accomplishments didn't mean anything because my school was poor and subpar. They would stick their noses up at usm. My dad worked his butt off to support his family, and it wasn't good enough for those people. We were never in danger of starvation or homelessness(my parents inherited our land). My mom has several times "you want Kim to go to a better school? You pay for it cause I can't".

Now here's the catch. Those same people who couldn't stand the fact that I wasn't sent to "a good school", refused to do anything to help out the poor school. They thought "oh well, my daughter's going to a nice private school. That's what matters". Anytime we'd have a fundraiser for my school, no one cared, except for the parents whose kids went to my school. It was like 80% of the county completely turned their backs on us. Most of them complained " why the heck is some of my tax money(property tax) going to that school?" It never ceased to amaze me at how someone could complain about the school, but also complain about their taxes going to help the school. (Really, the taxes are what keeps the school running )

Money isn't the only charitable thing. You can donate your time, for example.
    One time the elementary school decided to have a clothing drive to help the parents out who couldn't afford school uniforms(only the elementary school had uniforms, polos/khaki or navy shorts/pants). Again, it was almost failure. Very few people cared.

Ok, now on the flip side, most (not all) of the poorer people of the county gave whatever they could. If it wasn't money, it was time or clothing or school supplies (which were always needed).

Experiences like my schooling are what I based my above opinion on.
    I hope that I made sense and that my point was pretty clear. I'm not feeling too well at the moment.
    -Kim-

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Glad you like this album, AG. I'm one that also happens to think even the weakest songs are really good - in other words, there ain't no weak ones, IMHO.u

With regard to I've Got Mine, I agree with with you and VA. I think it is a really good commentary on social injustice, which truly does exist, at least it does in this country. I think it's safe to say Glenn has been around a lot more rich people than I have, so I believe he's commenting on what he's observed in general. I am copying some comments he has previously made regarding the song from one of Soda's earlier posts in this thread ...

"I'll be the first person to tell you that it's a lot easier to think about the world's problems when you've got money in the bank, can put food on the table and you're not worried about where your next paycheck is comin' from. [...] It just became apparent to me that, although I know a lot of people who are committed to many charitable causes, there are also really a lot of people out there who are committed more to running their personal empires and don't really care enough about other people." (Los Angeles Times 1992)

"People thought I was hypocritical for writing a song about the haves & have nots. Hey - it's just a song." (San Diego 1992)

"Rich people don't give a damn. Nine out of ten don't care - and it bugs the shit out of us. [...] It's amazing how the world is such a wonderful place once you get your first million." (Washington DC 1993)

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Thanks for posting those comments, Dreamer! I agree that Glenn has been around more rich people than we "commoners" ever will.

I came across an interview last night that Glenn did for the Chicago Tribune back in 1992. He was talking about being a counselor for the project where they took inner city kids and took them to Aspen for a week (I forget the name). He really sounded like he enjoyed doing it, giving back and helping others, particularly kids. (Here's the article in case anyone wants to read it ( http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1...er-eagle-lands)

I'm glad that Glenn went a little out there and didn't play it safe on this album. I wish that he would've done that more often!
    -Kim-