Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Thing you do NOT like about the Eagles?

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Default Re: Thing you do NOT like about the Eagles?

I know they have always said there was nothing saved in the vaults, but I bet there was. Concerts were nearly always recorded. Sure wish they would release some more of it.

And their inability to just get along and make new music. Back in the early 2000s LROOE was waited on forever. I know it was due to the lawsuits, but still.....and that we don't really know much about who did what on that album besides the vocals.

Agree too about social media. They are missing the boat!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Border Troubadour

Quote Originally Posted by redstorm1968 View Post
    Lord, please let this be true! Old concert footage would be great. I swear that I would push my momma down the stairs while she was wearing roller skates just to get a peek into that vault.

Maybe their kids will release it one day. I hope I'm still alive when they do.
    Well they sat on the Capital Center material that came with HOTE for the best part of 40 years without the slightest inkling of its existence, and certain bits and pieces in the same documentary I've never seen before or since (the Long Run tour clips for example). I suspect it fell foul of the Henley perfectionism criteria in many cases (for example only releasing less than half of the Capital Center gig), but I cannot believe for a second there was no financial incentive to record the LROOE or HOTE tours for live release. Such a glaring omission from their legacy!

Well I LOVE this band but I can name a few things, not all of them their fault.

First of all, I don't "hate" anything about the band. I do have issues with things.

Now OP decided to say something about Joe Walsh's guitar playing, so I'm going to start mine off in a similar light. Not to "get back at them" but it's something I felt anyway and fair is fair. This isn't being created to say something in retaliation but things I've thought for years. I just feel this is the thread to say it.

I've never been a fan of Bernie Leadon. Again, I think he was an important person in the band's history and is an accomplished player but for me it's like nails on a chalkboard. I'm a rock guy, and a improv bluesy non-technical guitar player. I don't like technicality, as it's very un-rock and roll to me so I'll always take a "sloppy" Jimmy Page over a Steve Vai shredfest any damn day. Now Bernie isn't like that, but the whole country style and the fact that he tried to hold back the rockier side of the Eagles is a sore spot for me. I've always said getting Joe Walsh is the best thing they ever did and that IMO the output with Felder, and even moreso Felder and Walsh was so much better for me than the first two Eagles albums. They are a AOR classic rock band to me and I just appreciate the later Eagles more. It's just my thing. I think Joe Walsh is a great fit for the band and to me they were always better as a rock n' roll supergroup.

Secondly, I am not a fan of the drama this band carries with it, not always at fault of their own. Be it Eagles haters, the polarizing Felder issue, etc. All bands have controversy and drama but it is my opinion after a lot of research and experience that the Eagles top just about every other band in this area. Again, not all at their feet. It's mostly the workings of other people. It just seems like someone has something to say negatively about the band, one or more members, and certainly about the Don Felder situation. It would have been nice to enjoy the band without all of that conflict and having to censor yourself when it comes to sides, favorites, on and on. But baggage is baggage, and I'll still take them even with baggage. But it is a bit tiring and especially online. Gets a lil' old.

Lastly, I never cared for the hierarchy of the band. Obviously Frey/Henley overtook the band's control and especially Glenn. To me I kinda wish they all had kept the Eagles Ltd thing and when Joe and Tim came on, had them join it rather than being glorified sideman, despite calling them Eagles. I wish the other guys had more say in songs, band decisions, and weren't at times treated like they were sidemen to the Frey/Henley show. I'm an idealist, fully admitted, but I think it should be a "band band" (to quote Azoff on HOTE) and be a bunch of brothers rather than it being the way it was. I feel fairness is important and I think the hierarchy probably drove them apart at times, although some here have said and believe it kept them together. I just wish everyone had gotten a fair shake at what the band did and song input. Obviously this itself is a very polarizing take, but it is ultimately my belief. Nothing towards anyone here tho. It reminds me of the Black Crowes. It got to be so big of a business with conflicts, that brothers in BLOOD no longer speak, Chris and Rich Robinson no longer speak and probably don't have family get togethers. That's wrong IMO.

Border Desperado

I agree with everything Walshfan said, except I really like Bernie and their early sound.

Other thing that I have mixed feelings about is HOTE. At first I thought it was fascinating. I love documentaries. But after watching it a few times and hearing what some not so die hard Eagles fans had to say about it, it kind of left me with an uneasy feeling. Even Bill Hader, the comedian, said it was just like watching bullies.

I wish I had never seen it as it does kind of remind me of Mean Girls, and I wonder how many people would be okay with some of the things said by members if they weren't devoted Eagles fans.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    I know they have always said there was nothing saved in the vaults, but I bet there was. Concerts were nearly always recorded.
    Also, studio engineers are notorious for having private collections - tapes that they've brought home of everyone they've worked with.

Plus there's negligence. Didn't someone on these forums tell us about all the old master tapes that were thrown out in the street (literally) when Olympic Studios in London closed down?

Quote Originally Posted by VillageGirl View Post
    I agree with everything Walshfan said, except I really like Bernie and their early sound.

Other thing that I have mixed feelings about is HOTE. At first I thought it was fascinating. I love documentaries. But after watching it a few times and hearing what some not so die hard Eagles fans had to say about it, it kind of left me with an uneasy feeling. Even Bill Hader, the comedian, said it was just like watching bullies.

I wish I had never seen it as it does kind of remind me of Mean Girls, and I wonder how many people would be okay with some of the things said by members if they weren't devoted Eagles fans.

That is one of the main themes of the thread I started on this very subject. Prior to the HOE, I didn't know much about the bands history, and certainly little to nothing about the individual personalities/conflicts. But the documentary caused me to go on a journey to find out how accurate it was. Thus far, I have not liked much of what I have found out, especially about Frey & Henley.

I keep hoping something will soften my view, and had hoped the Kennedy Honors would be just such an opportunity.
    Yet, it is not to be I guess.
    `

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    I know they have always said there was nothing saved in the vaults, but I bet there was. Concerts were nearly always recorded.
    Also, studio engineers are notorious for having private collections - tapes that they've brought home of everyone they've worked with.

Plus there's negligence. Didn't someone on these forums tell us about all the old master tapes that were thrown out in the street (literally) when Olympic Studios in London closed down?
    When it comes to making stuff freely available to their fans, Genesis are the complete opposite of Eagles. Every tour they did was broadcast live on the radio or even on TV. Phil Collins would routinely leave every band concert or session with a soundboard copy of the performance for his own critical perusal and he ended up with an extensive archive of material.

In the early days of CD Bootlegs, Phil said he was concerned that fans were paying extortionate fees for lousy sounding bootleg recordings. I guess the fact that, soundboard recordings of practically every Genesis (and Collins solo) show, are now, easily available on the internet, even advertised on the Genesis fan site, suggests that Phil has quietly made his archive freely available to the fans.

When Genesis dug deep to find rarities to put on their first box set they were surprised at the amount of stuff that they heard about, after they'd released it. Many people had Genesis obscurities stored away without realising how rare they were, until the rarities box set came out.

As far as I know, The Eagles don't have an archivist. Henley is strongly against this type of material being made public at all . He's not even keen on Live Recordings so I can understand any one, with illicit Eagles recordings, fearing litigation and excommunication, staying very quiet about it.

I thought the Bill Halverson recordings would be the start of obscure Eagles material surfacing (How great would they have been on Eagles Selected Works) but it hasn't happened. I can't believe that Halverson was the only guy who ignored the Eagles request to destroy everything.

I'm still confident that I'll hear something, previously unreleased from the Eagles in future, even if it was actually recorded decades ago, it's just a case of being extraordinarily patient.

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    When it comes to making stuff freely available to their fans, Genesis are the complete opposite of Eagles. Every tour they did was broadcast live on the radio or even on TV. Phil Collins would routinely leave every band concert or session with a soundboard copy of the performance for his own critical perusal and he ended up with an extensive archive of material.

In the early days of CD Bootlegs, Phil said he was concerned that fans were paying extortionate fees for lousy sounding bootleg recordings. I guess the fact that, soundboard recordings of practically every Genesis (and Collins solo) show, are now, easily available on the internet, even advertised on the Genesis fan site, suggests that Phil has quietly made his archive freely available to the fans.

When Genesis dug deep to find rarities to put on their first box set they were surprised at the amount of stuff that they heard about, after they'd released it. Many people had Genesis obscurities stored away without realising how rare they were, until the rarities box set came out.

As far as I know, The Eagles don't have an archivist. Henley is strongly against this type of material being made public at all . He's not even keen on Live Recordings so I can understand any one, with illicit Eagles recordings, fearing litigation and excommunication, staying very quiet about it.

I thought the Bill Halverson recordings would be the start of obscure Eagles material surfacing (How great would they have been on Eagles Selected Works) but it hasn't happened. I can't believe that Halverson was the only guy who ignored the Eagles request to destroy everything.

I'm still confident that I'll hear something, previously unreleased from the Eagles in future, even if it was actually recorded decades ago, it's just a case of being extraordinarily patient.
    Indeed
    Save
    Save

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

We need patience *and* longevity. I hope I'm still around on the earth plane when the Eagles vault(s) are pried open at last.

OT: actually, this can go on my motivational list, "Reasons to Quit Smoking"

that don henley doesnt have twitter