Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Henley Says Eagles Reunion Possible with Glenn Frey's Son

Stuck on the Border Witchy Woman's Avatar

Default Re: Henley Says Eagles Reunion Possible with Glenn Frey's Son

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I find it hard to respond to Funk 50 when he makes post like the above.

I don't know what happened to Funk 50 in the last few months. Ever since Glenn's death, he's made cruel comments about how the band would be better off without him, starting when Glenn was barely cold in his grave.

I don't understand it. Funk 50 has always stirred crap up before and he was often rude, but he was never cruel. I don't know what changed. Death usually makes people more sensitive to others, but Glenn's death has only made Funk 50 go from occasionally obnoxious to downright sadistic whenever the topic arises, taking pleasure in causing other fans pain.

At any rate, as I've said before, this is another tempest in a teapot. I wish people would check out the context of a quote before they spread around distorted "facts."
    It's called being a shit starter. He just wants to get a rise out of people and cause conflict. I'll never understand how someone can be on a message board dedicated to a group and blatantly disrespect one of its founding members. And I fully agree that people are taking Don's comments and twisting them to serve their own purposes. I have zero interest in seeing The Eagles without Glenn. I would have zero interest in seeing The Eagles without Don.

WOW!

I cannot believe the cold callousedness of F50. That's just beyond rude, it's cruelly twisting the knife and doing so with intent. It is very troubling to me.

Trolling and stirring the pot is one thing, and he's done it a lot, but this goes even further into just outright cruelty. I don't understand why you continue to do this.

The dig at Deacon was uncalled for. Of course he's not at is what his dad's level of experience was. He's a young guy. The remark about a capable amateur was just not needed. He from everything I've seen of him is a very good musician who will get better the more he does it. He made his dad proud just by what I've seen.

The comment about Glenn's "soft country hits" and the Eagles being better without them (basically saying without Glenn) was really what upset me, and I'm not as much of a Glenn fan as some here, so I can't imagine how even more offended they are than I already am. I sympathize with them totally.

First off, even if that was all Glenn had, it still would have been very cruel and inappropriate. Even moreso when the man has recently passed. I wasn't his biggest fan but I would never "go there" with that nor do I support some of the things certain DF fans are saying on his FB page. I'm a hardcore Felder fan, but I cannot condone their comments even though I think he should be honored. I think Felder paints himself in a bad light when he lets his fans make vile remarks.

But the fact is, Glenn has almost as much if not as much variety in his lead vocal Eagles tunes as Henley. Sure, he had a lot of soft country-rock songs, which I admittedly don't care for as much, but he had rockin' uptempo songs, smooth RNB songs, and yes twangier country songs. So the man was made of a lot more than just the Take It Easy/Peaceful Easy Feeling type of songs and it's unfair to say his soft country songs bring the set down. Henley has plenty of softer songs too that aren't all out rockers. I'm not going to name them all. Think about it.

And that is coming from the guy who isn't into soft country rock, so it's not like I'm in love with those songs and defending them. It's just not true. What about Already Gone and James Dean and Heartache Tonight? Those are rock songs. To say all the man had were soft country songs is not only incorrect but selling him short, which was your very intention I'm sure. I'm not sure why you get such grandiose pleasure out of doing this, but if you are that miserable in your own life that you need to target people cruelly for your own entertainment, I suggest you get professional help. And I don't mean that in a demeaning way. I truly wish the best for you and that you become happier and healthier. Some when they say "get help" that mean it negatively as a put down, and I mean it honestly and positively in effort to try to help you. I just feel like it's not normal to do.

Also, your comments about them not playing "ancient hits" was also meant to be inflammatory. You want them to play solo music with the 3 guys under the Eagles name. Do you realize how silly that would be? How it would tarnish their name? I campaigned for each member to have solo songs on the HOTE tour but no way would I go see the Eagles and not hear any Eagles music. That'd be like going to the gas station parking lot to watch a movie in my car. It makes no sense at all. Those "ancient hits" MADE them who they are today and are why they are still remember as one of the best bands of all time. They had to play the hits. Otherwise nobody would show up. They might as well went to see the 3 guys solo if they were only doing solo music. Now I could see the three touring together, doing solo hits and coming out to do a number together, but that's as a tour, not as a band and they three would be under their own names and have their own bands. It's the only way that makes sense to me. So yeah, I think that's silly.

Again, I'm not a GF super fan or a "soft country" fan, but even I can admit how cold and inconsiderate your post was, I can only imagine how Glenn's fans felt. And that's coming from someone who has no bias to either of those things. It's just called respect and having a heart, man. I'm no angel but even I wouldn't say those things, and I'm very opinionated. You need to learn where to draw the line. It's one thing to make statements most will be in disagreement with OR miffed at, it's another to be outright cruel and mean. I sincerely hope you will apologize to the members here, not to me, but to the others who have been hurt by this who may or may not have said something about it or may have stayed quiet.

If you are going to stir the pot with inflammatory comments, that's one thing and while I think it's inconsiderate, whatever. But the comments you've made that are purposely intending to not only rile up Glenn fans but to also hurt their feelings is just plain wrong IMO. I've learned to mostly ignore your comments and I felt like leaving a few times but ultimately I learned not to feed the troll. This is more than just trolling. This is targeting people who will be upset, and being mean.

I hope that you understand where I'm coming from even if you don't, I had to say something. I'm sure you'll be surprised and say as usual that you weren't meaning to be offensive and upsetting, but that really is just a lie at this point. You know that this would be very upsetting and you'd get some kind of response.

My only advice to everyone else is that to not show emotions or let him know you are upset. It's hard to do, and I'm doing it right now, but like most bullies if you quit letting them see your reaction, they will get bored and move elsewhere.

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

Returning to the topic of the thread, I still think that if anything happens it's not likely to be directly credited as Eagles. E.g. there could be a Henley / Schmit / Walsh / Leadon tour. Perhaps with additional performers, e.g. perhaps Henley / Schmit / Walsh / Leadon / Browne.

Stuck on the Border Houston Baby's Avatar

WF88(Austin)
    I could not have said it better except I am a devoted Glenn Frey fan.
    Thank you for your thoughtful response. As a huge GF fan, I could not even come up with words to express my feelings on that totally unnecessary post.

Stuck on the Border

Personally I love those "soft country rock" songs (or whatever you choose to call them), but like them or not, they are a huge part of what the Eagles are. I wouldn't find any sense in changing what the band is about at this point (they have solo careers to help them express themselves). If Keith Richards happens to die before Mick Jagger, does it mean that the band should forget about the rock stuff it has been doing since the beginning and concentrate on the trends of the day (Mick's speciality more than Keith's) to please a certain part of the audience? I don't think so.

Well, that was a bad example, because Glenn wasn't the only Eagle who was into the "soft country whatever" stuff. He just happened to have a fantastic voice for that stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    Well, that was a bad example, because Glenn wasn't the only Eagle who was into the "soft country whatever" stuff. He just happened to have a fantastic voice for that stuff.
    My point exactly. They both had all kinds of songs in Eagles work and those softer songs were a big part of what made them who they are. And as I said, I'm a rock guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Baby View Post
    WF88(Austin)
    I could not have said it better except I am a devoted Glenn Frey fan.
    Thank you for your thoughtful response. As a huge GF fan, I could not even come up with words to express my feelings on that totally unnecessary post.
    I just don't get it. Sometimes I wonder if he himself even believes the things he says. I think he knows how inflammatory those words are and does it for his fun at our expense.
    Last edited by WalshFan88; 10-18-2016 at 08:24 PM.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying Twit View Post
    Returning to the topic of the thread, I still think that if anything happens it's not likely to be directly credited as Eagles. E.g. there could be a Henley / Schmit / Walsh / Leadon tour. Perhaps with additional performers, e.g. perhaps Henley / Schmit / Walsh / Leadon / Browne.
    And I don't think that will happen either. There might be one tribute show. I fail to understand why these men would even consider touring without Glenn no matter how they billed themselves. What would be the point of it? Without Glenn's songs, contrary to what was so rudely stated, a great deal of what they had as a band is gone. Henley does't want to sing his songs even in solo shows. Walsh doesn't have the voice for it & I doubt the other two would wish to either. An 'Eagles' show without Glenn & without his songs. I don't even begin to understand why some think this could occur. Unless you want Browne or Souther to sing Glenn's songs. While this would be predictable, it would also be pointless in my view.

As for the post now being discussed, I had my response to it, which may have been too emotional, so thanks to Austin & Soda for giving it the treatment it deserved (or didn't deserve).

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I fail to understand why these men would even consider touring without Glenn no matter how they billed themselves. What would be the point of it? Without Glenn's songs, contrary to what was so rudely stated, a great deal of what they had as a band is gone. Henley does't want to sing his songs even in solo shows. Walsh doesn't have the voice for it & I doubt the other two would wish to either. An 'Eagles' show without Glenn & without his songs. I don't even begin to understand why some think this could occur. Unless you want Browne or Souther to sing Glenn's songs. While this would be predictable, it would also be pointless in my view.

As for the post now being discussed, I had my response to it, which may have been too emotional, so thanks to Austin & Soda for giving it the treatment it deserved (or didn't deserve).

FP, with all due respect during this time of sadness, these men have played music together for over 40 years, and are still active. Just consider the concept that they may wish to continue to do so. They have earned the right to do whatever the heck they want. Perform what they want, with whom they want. Nothing that they do can detract from Glenn's contribution, talent, or legacy. In fact, it highlights how good of a singer he was.

No song should be precious. I hope lots of people continue to perform Glenn's songs in lots of settings, even various combinations of Don and TBS, Don and Joe, Joe and TBS and whoever else. It is a tribute to him, and I don't think fans should presume to tell them that there isn't a point to them playing together or performing Glenn's songs.

Having said all of that, I highly doubt they'll "tour," (and playing with JD or Jackson just sounds like a horrible idea) but I also don't see them not performing together again and not including Eagles songs, for goodness sake. In grieving Glenn's loss, I don't think you realize how disrespectful your posts are to Don, Joe and Tim. I would think you would want to support them in whatever they decide to do going forward.

And no, my thought process in no way, shape or form aligns with Funk's.

Do you think its bad form for Timothy to sing PEF as a tribute to Glenn? I don't, and I don't think anybody cares if he doesn't sound as good.
    Last edited by MaryCalifornia; 10-18-2016 at 11:28 PM.

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

I think what I am trying to say but neglected to do above is this: It is apparent that Timothy and Don have a sweet relationship, that stayed solid during the 14 years the Eagles were apart. Don has been loyal to Timothy in so many instances over the years, and they seem to genuinely like each other. I also think that Timothy and Joe have a bond and have been through things together, due to their unique situation (the surviving non-Glenn & Don Eagles), that nobody but them could ever understand. I'm not sure about Don and Joe's relationship with each other, but I do believe that these three guys' relationship with each other is more than the Eagles.

Though Glenn's death obviously has a huge impact on the guys, it does not diminish their bonds with each other. That's why I will not second guess if they want to perform together again. Henley has never done anything impulsively. Whatever they decide to do will be tasteful, considered and well thought out, no doubt with Cindy and Irving's approval and endorsement.