Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Favourite Christmas Songs.

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Default Favourite Christmas Songs.

We were doing a few Christmas songs in guitar class tonight, and I was just wondering if you guys have a favourite Christmas song or Christmas carol. Or perhaps one with a particular significance or story attached to it that they'd like to share. If so let us know.

For the record, my favourite song is the 'Fairytale of New York' by The Pogues and Kirsty McColl. I just love the rhythms, the way the different sections of the song are sung at different tempo's and the earlier sentiments of the song
    "You're handsome, you're pretty, Queen of NY city"
    "This Years for me and You"
    "I can see a better time when all our dreams come true"
    to mention a few

And the chorus is very uplifting. You can see the NYPD choir singing and nearly hear the bells.

It was also one a lot of Irish people could relate to at the time. It was a very cold winter that year
    "The wind goes right through you..."
    And also a time when there was a deep recession. Emigration (to the States) was high and people could relate to the hope of a better time when all their dreams came true.

Its also poignant in that Kirsty McColl is no longer with us.

My favourite carol is 'Oh Holy Night'. Quite simply I remember it being sung at Christmas church and carol services from a time when I was very young and anytime I hear it it brings back all that old magic and helps remind me of what Christmas is about.

But they're just mine! I'm dying to hear everyone elses. Hope I didn't bore anyone!
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

As some of you might have guessed, lol, I love the Christmas season - and I love Christmas music!

"O Holy Night" is my all-time favorite. It brings tears to my eyes when it's done right. Such a powerful, moving song.

"I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day" also moves me, especially in a time of war. It gives me hope. The best version I ever heard of it took a bit beyond the normal hymn structure by taking the last verse up a notch - it was so uplifting. The singer of that version was Kate Smith.

"Do You Hear What I Hear" also is very dramatic and powerful, I think. As you can see, I love the carols that build to a crescendo!

"Sleigh Ride" always makes me smile really big, as does "Winter Wonderland." "Let It Snow" is also lots of fun.

Those standards "White Christmas" and "I'll Be Home for Christmas" are also lovely.

And, as a child of the eighties, I have to admit that I love Wham's "Last Christmas"!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I love Christmas carols too!

I love Please Come Home for Christmas (naturally!), The Carpenters' Merry Christmas Darling, Jingle Bell Rock, Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree, Little Saint Nick by the Beach Boys, Blue Christmas by Elvis, and Bing Crosby's White Christmas. I also like a new one by Harry Connick Jr called It Must Have Been Ol' Santa Claus that ends with Harry singing "Happy Ho-Ho-Ho to you!"

Classic favorites: Do You Hear What I Hear, and Hark the Herald Angels Sing.

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Thanks DF! Even listening to the names of some of those songs and carols brings back great memories and bring a smile to my face. And 'O Holy Night' done well is one of the most moving carols ever to listen to in my opinion.
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Stuck on the Border EasyFeeling's Avatar

I can't say much to this because I guess you're not familiar with the classic German Christmas songs. But we have Silent Night, in German of course.

I have to say I don't like our songs very much my favourites are the English songs like Wham's Last Christmas, Driving Home For Christmas by Chris Rea (I love that song), All I Want For Christmas Is You by Mariah Carey.
    As for the classics my favourites are Santa Claus Is Coming To Town, Winter Wonderland, Rudolph, The Rednosed Reindeer, Let It Snow.

What a lovely topic, GA!

Well, I've never really thought about my favourite Christmas songs before, as I tend to haul out my Christmas albums during this time and generally enjoy everything.

"Blue Christmas" by Elvis Presley would probably rank as my favourite, as it's the one I tend to sing and play more than any others. After that, I love "Happy Xmas (War Is Over)" by John Lennon, three more Elvis songs in "Here Comes Santa Claus", "Santa Claus Is Back In Town" (a real raucous rocker!) and "I'll Be Home For Christmas", and Bing Crosby's "White Christmas" (love Elvis' version, too, surprise, surprise ).

I've just purchased The Eagles' "Very Best Of" double CD, and heard "Please Come Home For Christmas" for the first time. I love it, and I already rank it as a favourite. Don's vocal is fantastic!

As for traditional Christmas carols, I love "Silent Night" (it's the first song I ever learnt to play on the guitar), and "O Holy Night" is beautiful. I love the French version as done by the Belgian singer Helmut Lotti.

I've got a peaceful, easy feeling
    And I know Glenn won't let me down

Stuck on the Border tbs fanatic's Avatar

GA - I love The Pogues Are they still together?

I'm not sure what my fav Christmas song is. I REALLY have to be in the mood to listen to a Christmas song. I suppose the classic White Christmas would be among the top ones - sort of cheesy and cool at the same time - Ha!

Default Christmas favorites

One of my favorites is Please Come Home for Christmas of course. But my very favorite is It Came Upon a Midnight Clear because my Dad used to sing it to me when I was a little girl. Now I sing it to my granddaughter along with Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer and Up on the House Top. She just loves them, so they always bring a smile to my face, especially since I sang them with my daughters and son when they were growing up too. I can still remember those little voices going "ho ho ho" and the huge smiles on their faces. To be able to pass it on through 4 generations has made them special for all us.
    I possess the silver bullets to slay the demons from my past. How do I know? Because I survived them-and I am already stronger than I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Frey
    I've just purchased The Eagles' "Very Best Of" double CD, and heard "Please Come Home For Christmas" for the first time. I love it, and I already rank it as a favourite. Don's vocal is fantastic!
    You just heard this for the first time? Wow.
    The Christmas season doesn't really begin for me until I have heard that familiar Bong-Bong-Bong-Bong and Don's voice croons "Bells will be ringing...."
    My favorite classic rock station played that song just yesterday while I was running errands, and it brought a giant smile to my face as I listened!

While we are on this topic, you really should listen to the Eagles' song Funky New Year, too. It's not a classic like Please Come Home for Christmas , but it is worth it to me to hear Don's groans at the beginning of the song and then to hear him say, "My hair hurts," and "Nurse, I'm worse," and "Whose shoes are these?"

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Great idea, Ga! I love most all the Christmas songs, but there are a few at the top of my list.

Of course, Please Come Home For Christmas by you know who reigns as most favorite! I do love it. It was great hearing it in a store a couple weeks ago and instantly made me smile.

I also love White Christmas by Bing Crosby, Go Tell It On The Mountain and Do You Hear What I Hear by our own church choir (they are really good and it's a small country church-attendance around 90).

I always think of my beloved Grandma when I hear Silent Night. It was her favorite and she passed away the day before Christmas Eve 12 years ago and I still miss her lots.

My Mom always said Silver Bells was her favorite and it's one of mine, too.

The Christmas Song (chestnuts roasting on an open fire) by Dean Martin or Karen Carpenter ranks way up there and also, Elvis' Blue Christmas.

Whenever I hear We Three Kings it makes me remember my 2nd grade Christmas program at school. During rehearsal me and 3 friends were swaying back and forth rather energetically during the "ooooh oooh, star of wonder, star of night, star of royal beauty bright" and our teacher came up and tapped each of us on the top of the head with her pen and said "Girls, straighten up!" We were having way too much fun!

And one more, when my kids were small we played a John Denver Christmas album that had a song on it called Please Daddy, Don't Get Drunk This Christmas! They thought it was hilarious and just loved it and laughed while singing along!

And who can forget The Chipmunks Christmas Song and Elmer Fudd's?!

Uh oh, you've set me off! As you can tell, I love Christmas!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten