Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The "Eagles giving each other compliments" Thread

Default Re: The "Eagles giving each other compliments" Thread

Agree, MaryC! They seemed to be polar opposites, but the chemistry was there, and we're all the better for it.

In the HOTE doc, Glenn, on Don as the lead vocal: "“If you look at my vocal participation over the course of the ’70s, I sang less and less. It was intentional. We had Don Henley.”

Ah, the "Golden Throat," indeed!
    "You thought you would be satisfied, but you never will learn to be still."

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by NOLA View Post
    Agree, MaryC! They seemed to be polar opposites, but the chemistry was there, and we're all the better for it.

In the HOTE doc, Glenn, on Don as the lead vocal: "“If you look at my vocal participation over the course of the ’70s, I sang less and less. It was intentional. We had Don Henley.”

Ah, the "Golden Throat," indeed!
    They had Glenn Frey too. I'm sorry, but that part annoys me every time. He has every right to praise Don's talent but he sold himself short. Their albums were the poorer when he reduced his vocal leads. Every time this comes up I feel I have to say something in Glenn's defence, even if he won't himself. I will stick to my other line, which is that the songs he DID sing were in fact the best tracks on those albums, at least where I was concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    They had Glenn Frey too. I'm sorry, but that part annoys me every time. He has every right to praise Don's talent but he sold himself short. Their albums were the poorer when he reduced his vocal leads. Every time this comes up I feel I have to say something in Glenn's defence, even if he won't himself. I will stick to my other line, which is that the songs he DID sing were in fact the best tracks on those albums, at least where I was concerned.
    I agree, FP, that Glenn greatly underestimates his talent & it's value to the band.

Border Rebel

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I don't agree that their albums got poorer, but I will agree to disagree. I also admit that GF was underplaying his abilities, and it says something about him that he was willing to step back and give Don more of the leads.

Now, to get back on topic. This is a quote from Don that comes from an interview with Don and Danny Kortchmar that's been playing in the back of my mind since this thread first started:

Kootch is a lot like what Glenn was, in a way. Glenn never thought of himself as a great lead player, he was sort of intimidated by Joe Walsh and Don Felder, even though he hired them. But Glenn was like the glue, he was like what Keith Richards is to the Rolling Stones- he was a great rhythm player; he understood the importance of Chuck Berry and of great rhythm guitar. He understood how to play in his place and stay in his place and make everybody else look good, not have to step out in the spotlight and take a solo and be a virtuoso. And Danny is that way, too. He plays all the great rhythm parts and arranges all the stuff, and can play lead when he wants to. Danny's a little more avant-garde and crazy and more modern than Glenn, but they're both walking encyclopedias of the history of rock 'n' roll. You can name a song title and he or Glenn could tell you who did it, what label it was on, what year it came out. It's such a new art form anyway-if you want to call it art.
    Last edited by maryc2130; 10-17-2015 at 08:55 PM.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I really like reading this thread - some good stuff here!

And while I agree that Glenn does have a tendency to diminish his contributions, it seems to me that he has come to realize in recent years that the Eagles greatness is best realized when there is a collaborative effort from all of the band members ... yep - the sum is greater than the parts.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

If this has been posted in this thread before, I apologise. I was looking for the quote on HC, but realised it was a rare compliment.
    Nobody likes a know-it-all, Don.

Don Henley: That’s true. But what I learned about lyrics, and rejecting lyrics, I learned from Glenn and (early Eagles collaborators) J.D. Souther and Jackson Browne. So it’s just coming back to haunt them. They made me the opinionated prick that I am today! Now Glenn’s pretty good at policing lyrics himself. Sometimes I will defer. We all get too close to things to see them sometimes, and it’s great to have him come in, if I get stuck he’s great at unsticking. He wrote some of the best parts of Hotel California and Desperado too. I get credit for a lot of that, but the fact is that he wrote some of the pivotal lines that I wouldn’t have thought of in a million years. He’s a great at arranging too – his nickname is The Lone Arranger.
    http://classicrock.teamrock.com/feat...gles-interview

Great quote. Thanks for that!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I thought the same, why is Glenn talking about Don Henley like he was a God? Each singer of the band has a few songs that I think are magnificent. "One Of These Nights" might be my favorite song (it's Glenn's), and I love when Don (though seldom) sings falsetto, adding vibrato, trills, etc.

I like Glenn's calming voice ala "New Kid In Town" which is probably my #2, and then again, Timothy sounds great on "I Can't tell You Why" - and let's not forget Randy sang their first #1, Bernie was also a heck of a singer, I just listened to some of his sollo stuff, some which is real good though if I had to criticize, there are parts where his voice sounds a bit dull, like he's not trying.

There's also another interview where Glenn is asked what he does. I'll paraphrase: He says something like "I'm the arranger, piano player" - doesn't even mention playing guitar, and some friends who are fans don't know he played that great solo on ICTYW - usually the best solos are easy to play; it has the emotion.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by MortSahlFan View Post
    I thought the same, why is Glenn talking about Don Henley like he was a God? Each singer of the band has a few songs that I think are magnificent. "One Of These Nights" might be my favorite song (it's Glenn's), and I love when Don (though seldom) sings falsetto, adding vibrato, trills, etc.

I like Glenn's calming voice ala "New Kid In Town" which is probably my #2, and then again, Timothy sounds great on "I Can't tell You Why" - and let's not forget Randy sang their first #1, Bernie was also a heck of a singer, I just listened to some of his sollo stuff, some which is real good though if I had to criticize, there are parts where his voice sounds a bit dull, like he's not trying.

There's also another interview where Glenn is asked what he does. I'll paraphrase: He says something like "I'm the arranger, piano player" - doesn't even mention playing guitar, and some friends who are fans don't know he played that great solo on ICTYW - usually the best solos are easy to play; it has the emotion.
    In relation to this on the last TV interview Glenn did he referred to himself as a 'songwriter'. He had to be coaxed into putting the word 'singer' in front of songwriter. Forgive me for being cynical but he has shown no evidence of being a songwriter since LROOE was released. I love After Hours but he didn't write the majority of it & the one track he did write was old. When AH was released he did talk a lot about his vocal capabilities, which I loved.

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

I think that by anyone's standard, Glenn is a fantastic singer/songwriter and musician, even if he refuses to refer to himself as such. I believe that his experience being in the Eagles 1971-1980 was so intense emotionally, physically, psychologically for lots of different reasons that he seriously just doesn't care about things like his legacy or how people view him, and definitely doesn't feel the need to toot his own horn. His success was so all encompassing and overwhelming during that time period that he elects to let the output stand on its own and speak for itself.