Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Phil Collins / Genesis

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Default Re: Phil Collins / Genesis

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    You can get the documentary,Together & Apart, on amazon.com.

They couldn't mention every song. No Son Of Mine is a favourite of mine too.

As I said above I am really loving Genesis at the moment. The self titled album is extraordinary. I could listen to Home By The Sea all day. One thing I should say is that there is a cliché that once Peter left, they went all poppy and commerical. They started having hit singles, yes. But anyone who has heard some of the long album tracks knows that they were still 'prog' at heart.
    I'll have to order as soon as I can!
    Imo, the self titled album is their best. It's the perfect combination of pop and prog. They always retained a bit of their prog roots in all of their albums. While the hit singles might have been more poppy, tge overall albums are still proggy. Mama and Illegal Alien are my favorite songs on that album.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Banned

I have fond memories of both Mama and Illegal Alien live. The drums were so loud for Mama that I blinked every time they were hit and they doing some serious action at the end of the song.

Illegal Alien had a great introduction from Phil featuring a ghetto blaster and the whole band donning shades. It has a very good video too with wigs and fake moustaches. .

It's very difficult not to enjoy a Genesis show and Phil does have a fun relationship with the audience. His tambourine solo during I Know What I Like is always worth seeing even now he's old;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3O1ZAjbang

Stuck on the Border

Mama is one of the most extraordinary songs I have ever heard, and anyone who has only heard songs like Another Day In Paradise & Easy Lover should listen to it. Having said that, the same people should listen to In The Air Tonight.

I'm discovering the early stuff on the R-Kive triple CD. The Musical Box - at the end Peter's screams of 'why don't you touch me? NOW! NOW!'

I love the music video for Easy Lover (it's a great song,too!)
    I forgot to mention That's All. Imo, that song is one of the best pop songs ever written! I love No Son of Mine for very personal reasons.

My 2 favorite Gabriel era songs are The Musical Box and Dancing in the Moonlit Knight. ( I love the dark middle part of this song)
    -Kim-

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by AlreadyGone95 View Post
    I love the music video for Easy Lover (it's a great song,too!)
    I forgot to mention That's All. Imo, that song is one of the best pop songs ever written! I love No Son of Mine for very personal reasons.

My 2 favorite Gabriel era songs are The Musical Box and Dancing in the Moonlit Knight. ( I love the dark middle part of this song)
    If I start writing about That's All I will be here all day. Then I will start about Home By The Sea.

If anyone is wondering if I have forgotten Dire Straits the answer is no. But I don't write a lot about them here because for the most part I'm talking to myself (except for JCL). But I'm really discovering some of the Genesis stuff, or appreciating it, for the first time.

If I start writing about That's All I will be here all day. Then I will start about Home By The Sea.

If anyone is wondering if I have forgotten Dire Straits the answer is no. But I don't write a lot about them here because for the most part I'm talking to myself (except for JCL). But I'm really discovering some of the Genesis stuff, or appreciating it, for the first time.
    Hey, that's not a bad thing lol.
    I'm a casual fan of Dire Straits. I own Brothers in Arms on cd, but I'm a much bigger Genesis fan!
    -Kim-

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

I am no Genesis expert, I'd like to have a look into their work, I've meant to for a while but never got round to it - although as a Floyd fan I'll probably want to explore the more progressive Gabriel era first.

AG95, have you heard Dire Straits' Making Movies album? My personal favourite DS album is actually Love Over Gold (I absolutely love Telegraph Road) but it isn't for everyone, Making Movies on the other hand is highly rated throughout the DS fanbase. I am not a fan of the closing track Les Boys but the rest of the album is pretty flawless, with side one consisting of three top-notch songs (Tunnel Of Love, Romeo And Juliet and Skateaway).

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Come Lately View Post

AG95, have you heard Dire Straits' Making Movies album? My personal favourite DS album is actually Love Over Gold (I absolutely love Telegraph Road) but it isn't for everyone, Making Movies on the other hand is highly rated throughout the DS fanbase. I am not a fan of the closing track Les Boys but the rest of the album is pretty flawless, with side one consisting of three top-notch songs (Tunnel Of Love, Romeo And Juliet and Skateaway).
    No I haven't. DS is a band, that here in the states, only have 3 songs that get airplay, Money for Nothing, Sultans of Swing, and Walk of Life, so I haven't been exposed to them much. I love the Brothers in Arms album, but it's the only one I've heard in full. I guess that I need to change that!
    -Kim-

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by AlreadyGone95 View Post
    No I haven't. DS is a band, that here in the states, only have 3 songs that get airplay, Money for Nothing, Sultans of Swing, and Walk of Life, so I haven't been exposed to them much. I love the Brothers in Arms album, but it's the only one I've heard in full. I guess that I need to change that!
    There is a separate DS topic in the forum if you would like to read it. To quote Phil Collins Don't Get Me Started.

There is a separate DS topic in the forum if you would like to read it. To quote Phil Collins Don't Get Me Started.
    Lol, I'll start reading it then!
    -Kim-