Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: The "Eagles giving each other compliments" Thread

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: The "Eagles giving each other compliments" Thread

Quote Originally Posted by MaryCalifornia View Post
    I think that by anyone's standard, Glenn is a fantastic singer/songwriter and musician, even if he refuses to refer to himself as such. I believe that his experience being in the Eagles 1971-1980 was so intense emotionally, physically, psychologically for lots of different reasons that he seriously just doesn't care about things like his legacy or how people view him, and definitely doesn't feel the need to toot his own horn. His success was so all encompassing and overwhelming during that time period that he elects to let the output stand on its own and speak for itself.
    Well said, MC. I pretty much agree with everything you said, and to some extent feel that the same may apply to the other band members as well. However, even though I believe Glenn is not overly concerned about his individual legacy, I do believe he is protective about the legacy of the band.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    They had Glenn Frey too. I'm sorry, but that part annoys me every time. He has every right to praise Don's talent but he sold himself short. Their albums were the poorer when he reduced his vocal leads. Every time this comes up I feel I have to say something in Glenn's defence, even if he won't himself. I will stick to my other line, which is that the songs he DID sing were in fact the best tracks on those albums, at least where I was concerned.
    I agree with you FP. I thought Glenn had a great voice in the band and I was sorry to see him not sing as much. I like Henley's voice, but it was always one of the special things about the Eagles music is that you got to hear all their voices. Some of my fav's too were song by Glenn. But I've listened to After Hours and love Glenn's take on those tunes. Although I must say I still love Randy's voice the best.

So Put Me On A Highway And Show Me A Sign
    And Take It To The Limit One More Time..............

Stuck on the Border

Resurrecting this thread because Don Henley has some praise for Glenn's playing in the RS special.
    Glenn became an avid student of the rhythm guitar style of Chuck Berry and, with the possible exception of Keith Richards (also a Berry disciple) and a couple of others, Glenn was one of the best rhythm guitar players I ever heard... His rhythm playing was chunky and funky; his leads, if not the most technically proficient, were always imaginative, melodic. They were souful and memorable.
    I want to tell Don that if he's using "one of", he doesn't need to list exceptions - either "the best except for..." or just "one of the best" but not both.

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

Great thread - thanks for resurrecting it.

BTW: Early on someone said that Randy gave Glenn a bit of a back-handed compliment by saying that Glenn originally didn't always sing in tune, but he (Glenn) worked on it until he didn't. I don't interpret this as a back-handed compliment, but as a unqualified compliment that Glenn was prepared to put the work in and get where he needed to go.

Border Desperado

I like hearing good things they say about one another.

** Everybody had to look good - check, everybody had to play good - check, everybody had to sing good - check, and everybody had to write good - check!

"We gone through three albums and the only people who ever sang on hit records were Don and Myself and Randy thought he was a Lead Singer too and I thought that as well I liked his voice so he brought in the beginning to Take It To The Limit and that became the Eagles first number 1 single"

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

[whispers] Though Glenn meant to say TITTL was the band's first million-selling single. BOML was actually their first #1 song. We all understood.

Timothy had some nice things to say about Bernie in the recent Rockcellar interview posted in his thread. I thought I'd include that part here (about performing together on the HOTE tour):

Standing next to him and playing those earlier songs and hearing him play those guitar parts that he made up really showed me how influential he was as a member. I didn’t fully get that until I was playing those songs and listening to him onstage. He was playing the parts that he made up.
    http://www.rockcellarmagazine.com/20....Nxc66Rus.dpuf

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Stuck on the Border

It's also worth including Timothy's comment on Glenn in the same interview:
    Glenn worked everything out. We used to call him “The Lone Arranger.” He was so good at that, so good at figuring out parts and what should lay there. When you were comparing Poco and the Eagles earlier, that’s the difference.
    http://www.rockcellarmagazine.com/20....7FFk5Ym9.dpuf

Here are some Randy quotes from the Rockcellar article NightMistBlue posted on his thread. The interview is from "a few years ago" (i.e. when he was performing with the World Classic Rockers).

Bernie: "Bernie’s acoustic playing was just incredible, still is. And his banjo playing too." "He was a master acoustic player."

Glenn and Don H: "Don and Glenn wrote such great songs. They’d work on a song until it was finished and you knew it was gonna be real good. They had in mind what they wanted to do and wouldn’t stop until they achieved it...Glenn’s a really good lyricist too but Henley always had the fine little details in his lyric writing. They were a great team and that's been proven over and over again."

Don F: "what do you say, great guitar player. He’s such a precise player, you can tell he studied Clapton, I think."

Joe: "He was really talented, he could do lots of different things. He was also a really fun person to work with. I had a lot of fun times with him, maybe too much fun (laughs)."
    Also, "Getting Joe Walsh in that band and on [Hotel California] was great. It was a great combo between him and Felder. Between the two of them that’s what I think really enhanced the sound of the record. Walsh gave us some new blood. His guitar playing and great ideas really helped."

See more at: http://www.rockcellarmagazine.com/20....T34S7pBp.dpuf