Page 63 of 68 FirstFirst ... 1353596061626364656667 ... LastLast

Thread: The Border Book Club

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Default Re: The Border Book Club

I'm currently reading the Diary of Anne Frank. I've seen parts of the movie, but I've never read the book. It's amazing how upbeat she managed to stay despite the situation her and her family were in.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

I had been listening to the audio version of Carl Hiaasen's "Bad Monkey," - narrated by Arte Johnson of all people (of Laugh In; who knew he was still alive?!). It was amusing and typical Hiaasen, but it simply overstayed its welcome and I finally gave up with a little less than 2 discs to go, which I almost never do. Hiaasen's "Tourist Season" is one of my all-time favorite novels, but he does have a rather narrow range.

I'm now well into Brian Wilson's autobiography. It's not chronological; the narrative ranges freely across time, which may be off-putting to some, particularly those who aren't familiar with his life and career. But it's very interesting to get Brian's perspective on things, after reading so many other biographer's analysis of him.

Stuck on the Border

Phil Collins' autobiography Not Dead Yet. My copy is signed.

Far too much about his personal life & virtually nothing about his relationships with the members of Genesis except for what appeared to be a general group wide feeling of resentment towards Peter Gabriel's 1) costumes; 2) insistence on writing all the lyrics of The Lamb 3) ' Star treatment' on the Lamb tour before he left. I am enjoying it but I would have preferred more information on the music. I didn't know that he isn't the biological father of Joely.

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

I saw Phil's autobiography at Books-a-Million last week. I didn't have $30 for it (gotta save up for Scotland), but I want to get it. Maybe for Christmas.

I'm about to read 2 William Faulkner books, The Unvanquished and Reviers: A Reminiscence. I've only read one of his short stories, but since he's a southern author, I think I'll enjoy these books.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

I started on the audiobook of Emma Cline's "The Girls," a fictionalized story based on the Manson Family. My brother recommended it, and I've read good reviews. So far, it's incredibly depressing.*

*Not that you'd expect a laff riot on this particular topic, but my bro told me there was a Dennis Wilson-type character who gets involved with the cult, and I thought it would be ... I dunno, at least exciting or something. But so far, it's just examining the psychology of a 14-year old suburban girl from a broken family. She's lost her one friend and is excruciatingly self-conscious, unloved and unnoticed. Not too hard to see that this vulnerable kid is going to walk right into the lion's den.

AG, how did you get on with Faulkner? I liked "Absalom, Absalom" (aka The Wild Palms) even though I wasn't sure what was going on, ever. Had a real frustrating experience with "The Sound and the Fury;" it just took me to the edge of patience but I grimly held on and finished it.
    Last edited by NightMistBlue; 12-12-2016 at 04:06 PM.

Been trying to get around to Bruce Springsteen's Born To Run. My son and daughter-in-law gave the book and the companion album to me last month on my birthday, but I'm having a little trouble lately getting enough downtime to get into it. Anybody else have that problem lately? LOL...

It's all in your smile that brings
    All of the special things about you

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

I loved Lauren Graham's memoir!!! Had some great advice in it too about life and also writing as she herself is becoming more of an author of novels and screenplays/shows. Also really liked Anna Kendrick's memoir and some funny stories with her. Just finished reading the 4th book in one of my fav PI series by Ingrid Thoft, about a young female PI named Fina Ludlow in Boston who also has a really messed up family.

Now I'm waiting for Neil Gaiman's novelization of the Norse mythologies to come out in a few weeks and to get my copy of the novel version of the "Victoria" TV series by Daisy Goodwin, but currently reading more of the original "Sherlock Holmes" books between.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

I'm currently listening to Stephen King' "Revival." It's not nearly as good as the Mr. Mercedes trilogy, which was very suspenseful and quite ingenious. It's amazing that King is writing at such a high level again, after almost retiring after his accident.

One thing I found delightful in Revival is that the working ranch/recording studio in Nederland, Colorado that the main character eventually works for is so obviously based on the legendary Caribou recording studio. King even says Joe Walsh recorded there.

In a bit of poetic license though, King says the owner was briefly part of a one-hit wonder band that was popular for "sounding exactly like the Eagles."

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

That's a cool Eagles/Joe shoutout Stephen did NMB. I'm hoping to read the "Mr. Mercedes" trilogy soon, especially since there's going to be a TV show version of it later this year on DirecTV's audience network.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

I definitely recommend it. I listened to the audiobooks because I have a very long commute. The actor who narrates it, Will Patton, is excellent.