Thread: Compilation album - From fans to newcomers

Out on the Border
    Some sort of inn.. A monkey wearing a fancy scarf above me.. I’ll just order some wine I guess

Default Compilation album - From fans to newcomers

I got into the Eagles first by watching the Farewell Tour DVD (sorry, there’s probably a better place on the forum for this, but it serves as an introduction). My father showed me, because he was a long-time fan. I liked the band upon my first impression. They had a serious side (they wear suits during the first couple of songs) and a playful side (Joe is fooling around with Glenn and wears pyjamas on stage). Plus, they had a soft spot, which was Timothy. The concert setting just oozed quality and class as well, with all members alternately in the spotlight and behind them the horn section in black… And above all, the stuff they were playing just sounded better than most of what I had heard from other artists.

But the moment that really made me fall in love with the guys was during Life’s Been Good. The interaction with the crowd via Joe’s helmet cam was just phenomenal and I must have enjoyed it as much as the people who were actually there.

It’s fun to compare the first impression you had of the band with what you came to know about them further down the line. Because the first song plus the only song I knew back then, HC, were both sung by Don Henley, I assumed that he, together with Joe (I must have been sleeping while Glenn introduced everyone) was the leader of the band in favor of Glenn. I also used to think back then that, for example, Dirty Laundry was a way bigger hit of theirs than Take It Easy.

So my question to the other borderers is: What would you want someone else’s first impression to be like? Or, rephrased, which songs would you recommend someone who wants to know more about the Eagles to listen to?

This would be my list:
    How long
    One of these nights
    Hotel California
    Learn to be still (I just can’t imagine someone not liking this song upon first hearing it)
    The boys of summer
    Life in the fast lane
    The end of the innocence
    You belong to the city
    You don't know me at all
    Those shoes (showing their darker side)
    Try and love again (I feel this would have been a hit, had Randy not left the band and had it been promoted like it needed to be)
    No more cloudy days
    Waiting in the weeds
    King of Hollywood (this would serve as a slow fade-out after one of the many highlights on this album)

Deluxe:
    Somebody
    In the city
    Tequila sunrise (showing their more country side)
    Get over it
    The last resort
    Hole in the world
    Dirty laundry
    My man
    Walk away (even though it’s technically a whole other band, but written by Joe)
    I can't tell you why
    The sad café
    And I would show them some of my favorite sections from the Farewell 1 Tour DVD.

I remember Don saying that he doesn’t see the point of making a new album, because even if they would write the best song ever, people wouldn’t care much, or something alike, just because they wouldn’t get the same attention as the 70s hits. And I think that How Long, WITW, NMCD and even Somebody would have been massive hits had they been released in the 70s. That’s another thing: this compilation album is not just about those hits, but about all the best songs (+ some solo stuff if you like) that could turn someone into an Eagles fan upon first listen, so think outside the Eagles canon. And as a side note it can be a thread about your own (wrong) first impressions.

Glenn: Good evening, we're the Eagles from Los Angeles...
    Joe: Hey tell you what, if you got firecrackers, save 'em until you get home, lock yourself in the closet and light everything you got okay?
    Glenn: ... Thank you Joe!

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Compilation album - From fans to newcomers

Thank you for that SSM.

You have included four Henley songs & one Walsh song. I think the band should be covered first.

As I have been a fan since 1975 I find it very hard to remember my own first impressions. I also don't really know any more which songs newcomers should hear. I don't think I would start them with songs like The Last Resort or King Of Hollywood or Those Shoes.

In chronological order I would probably go with:

Take It Easy
    Tequila Sunrise
    Desperado
    Outlaw Man
    Already Gone
    Best Of My Love
    One Of These Nights
    Lyin' Eyes
    Take It To The Limit
    Hotel California
    New Kid In Town
    Heartache Tonight
    Get Over It
    How Long
    Somebody
    Waiting In The Weeds
    It's Your World Now

I think IYNW should be included for its historical significance. Most of the songs I have listed were hits. There is only one song not sung by Frey or Henley. It's meant to be introductory.

For me I am a newer fan but a hardcore nontheless. I always enjoy making my own complation playlists. I often do them to start of strong then slow down for a bit and end on a High Note.

Disc 1
    Hotel California
    Seven Bridges Road.
    Victim Of Love
    Take It To The Limit
    I Can't Tell You Why
    Doolin Dalton
    Desperado.
    Tequila Sunrise
    Peaceful Easy Feeling
    Best Of My Love
    Already Gone
    Train Leaves Here This Morning
    Witchy Woman.
    James Dean
    Waiting In The Weeds.
    Wasted Time

Disc 2
    How Long
    Life In The Fast Lane
    In The City
    Heartache Tonight.
    Certian Kind Of Fool
    No More Walks In The Woods
    Learn To Be Still
    Love Will Keep Us Alive
    New Kid In Town
    Pretty Maides Al In a Row
    Last Resort
    Lyin Eyes
    One Of These Nights
    Long Run
    Get Over It
    Those shoes
    Long Road Out Of Eden
    Take It Easy

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    In chronological order I would probably go with:

Take It Easy
    Tequila Sunrise
    Desperado
    Outlaw Man
    Already Gone
    Best Of My Love
    One Of These Nights
    Lyin' Eyes
    Take It To The Limit
    Hotel California
    New Kid In Town
    Heartache Tonight
    Get Over It
    How Long
    Somebody
    Waiting In The Weeds
    It's Your World Now
    Nice list. I like that it is chronological as it gives it a structure. I also like that you included Best of My Love which is often overlooked despite being their first US #1.

Stuck on the Border

BOML has never been a favourite of mine particularly but it may be the classic Eagles 'country rock ballad with lots of harmonies'. I tried to include songs that covered all the styles of music they played.

Banned

I put together an Eagles compilation tape when I only had Hotel California, The Long Run and Eagles Live. I updated it a little when I bought the Greatest Hits 1972-75 album but listeners would invariably be won over by the first handful of tracks. Would have preferred NKIT to be track 2 but never found a satisfactory track 1.

1 New Kid In Town
    2. I Can't Tell You Why
    3. The Last Resort
    4. Hotel California
    5. King Of Hollywood
    6. Wasted Time (live)
    7. Saturday Night (live)
    8. Lying Eyes
    9. Take It To The Limit (Live)
    10 Tequila Sunrise
    11. The Best Of My Love

All the rockers were saved for a different disc. Desperado somehow missed the cut.