Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast

Thread: The Rolling Stones

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: The Rolling Stones

Well, I did have a great time, although the venue was hot & overcrowded with insufficient services to cater to 15000 people.

Jumpin' Jack Flash
    It's Only Rock'n'Roll
    You Got Me Rocking
    Tumbling Dice
    Silver Train (with Mick Taylor)
    Bitch
    Paint It, Black
    Honky Tonk Women
    You Got The Silver
    Before They Make Me Run
    Happy
    Midnight Rambler (with Mick Taylor)
    Miss You
    Gimme Shelter
    Start Me Up
    Sympathy For The Devil
    Brown Sugar

You Can't Always Get What You Want
    (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction (with Mick Taylor)

I will get the criticisms out of the way first. They were slow to start; the groove just wasn't there on the first four songs & I thought the mix was too loud; the guitars sometimes overwhelmed the vocals. Mick was somewhat slow to get going & got some of the earlier lyrics wrong. It's a mark against the Stones that none of the members do backing vocals; they rely on others. Unfortunately Lisa Fischer shrieked, not sang, Merry Clayton's part in Gimme Shelter & she & Bernard Fowler had more time down the front than they should have near the end. Also I like it when Mick plays guitar but he only played a Strat for one verse of Miss You & an acoustic for You Can't Always (which had a local choir helping out). Miss You relied too much on the audience singing along. The iconic sax in Bitch was barely audible.

I had voted for Respectable in the fan vote for what song people wanted them to play. Silver Train won & apparently this is only the second time they have played it since 1973. It isn't bad but it's too repetitive. And try as they might with You Can't Always.... I can't warm to it.

However, once they got to the magnificent Paint It, Black. for the most part they delivered. Honky Tonk Women was a joyous singalong (as were Start Me Up & Satisfaction). Keith's three songs were excellent, including my favourite of his, You Got The Silver, the closest they came to a ballad all night. Ronnie played pedal steel on Happy with a cigarette dangling from his fingers!

In terms of musicianship & watching them play, Midnight Rambler was the standout. Sir Mick rocked the harp & Taylor rocked the solo (Les Paul). It gave me a new appreciation for the song. Sympathy, their greatest song in my view, was excellent. Mick started it wearing a feather cape. The only problem is he leaves out the 'who killed the Kennedys' verse these days.

Most of the guitars were Teles & Les Pauls. I can't be more specific.

Mick ran round the huge ramp at top speed & occasionally Keith & Ronnie joined him. I was on the side in the circle & the occasional glimpse over towards my section was worth the wait. Mick is a phenomenon; he doesn't have an ounce of extra fat on him. He made a couple of jokes about our beloved () Prime Minister & what a fool he made of himself at the G20 summit which finished just before the Stones arrived. Charlie was Charlie. I can't believe what he does with such a small drumkit.

Great show, and if it wasn't perfect, that's the Stones for you. I like it, like it, yes I do!

Last edited by Freypower; 11-19-2014 at 05:47 PM.

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Thanks, FP! Glad you had a good time.

I love You Got the Silver! and Before They Make Me Run!

In my opinion, Lisa has never done justice to her part on Gimme Shelter, not even 20 years ago. I don't expect it to sound EXACTLY like Merrie, but it could definitely be better than this version.

Yes, I always think of Timothy as skinny, and then there's Mick (and Ronnie's legs) - in another class of skinny altogether!

Maybe there'll be some upgrades in guest comfort in time for the Eagles show.

How long was the show, FP? With 19 songs, even some with extended jams or whatever, it doesn't seem like it could have been much more than 90 minutes?

Edit: Just came back to comment on this - "Mick was somewhat slow to get going & got some of the earlier lyrics wrong" - got lyrics wrong??! I mean, I can see forgetting what verse you're on a time or two, but this makes me think maybe at this stage of their careers, maybe they've done away with the whole "rehearsing" thing!
    Last edited by MaryCalifornia; 11-19-2014 at 02:04 AM.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Fp, sounds awesome! And your pictures are to die for! Obviously you had a good seat!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Thanks for the review FP. Sounds like it was a great show.
    I am drying to see them again, & I hope to if possible this year. Last time they were in NYC, the tickets were just beyond expensive, where the cheapest seat you could get was about $800, & that was upstairs, not even a good seat.
    I last saw them sometime in the 90's.
    Glad you enjoyed it & got to see Mick Taylor too!

Oh, & LOVE THE PICS!!!

Stuck on the Border

Folks, no way did I take those photos. They came from the live blog on the Stones FB page. But they were so good I felt I had to include them.

I say Mick 'got lyrics wrong'... I thought in It's Only Rock'n'Roll & Tumbling Dice he got a couple of the lines out of order. I know the songs too well perhaps & he may prefer it the way he does it now.

It was two & a half hours. Remember a couple of the songs are long anyway (Rambler, Sympathy, Can't) and some songs with all the singing along went much longer than they do on the records.
    Last edited by Freypower; 11-19-2014 at 06:23 PM.

I don't mind if they change it up a little & I love when they extend the songs & make them longer. They usually do that for shows,
    They don't do an exact same show every time like the Eagles do & they are loose about some stuff but ...Mick is in good shape for his age. I mean isn't he over 70 & a great grandfather! They are all pretty old LOL To still rock out for 3 hours, you gotta give them credit!

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Yeah, I don't mind if they change it up a bit either!

Rock on Stones!!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

So the Stones have new album coming out of the blues covers they all started on back in the day.

The first one from the album is on iTunes and streaming, called "Just Your Fool".

I LOVE this song. They did a great job and the echo on the vocals and the analog sound shines through. They did it justice!

The album "Blue and Lonesome" comes out December 2nd.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

On my leatherette looking through pictures...

Here's a topic I've wanted to revive. Have been reading a biography of founding member Brian Jones, and it really does pull the curtain back on some of the sordid goings on within the Stones camp. In particular, Mick Jagger comes off as a total scumbag in the way he dealt with both Brian and people who had any appearance of loyalty to him.

Have always preferred the Beatles to the over-rated Stones, but when you listen to the 60's and early 70's period of the band's music, you can easily see why they were so beloved.

Top 5 favourite Stones songs:

1. Jumpin' Jack Flash
    2. Let it Bleed
    3. Street Fighting Man
    4. Honky Tonk Women
    5. You Got the Silver
    All carrot, no stick.

"He's just another power junkie, just another silk scarf monkey. You'd know it if you saw his stuff. The man just isn't big enough."--Glenn Frey/Don Henley

"You think you know me, but you haven't got a clue."--John Lennon/Paul McCartney

Stuck on the Border

Here they are doing Come Together!!!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsv27YNj904[/ame]