Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Halloween movies

Border Rebel

Default Re: Favorite Halloween movies

Love your list, Delilah! I would add Rosemary's Baby, The Exorcist, and "It". I haven't seen the movie "It" yet, only the miniseries that I have recorded.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    I saw “The Others” again recently—great direction and acting, especially by the two children. I love the twist at the end. I’ll have to swap it out with “Psycho” or “The Ring” on my list. “The Others” just seems more Halloween-y.
    I initially misread your post and thought you were referring to "The Other," a 1972 film about creepy twins. I loved that film as a kid, and the book too.

But yes! The Nicole Kidman film, that was great.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    Halloween is in two weeks so my horror movie binge watching begins...here is my list of must-see films (original version unless otherwise noted):

1. The Shining
    2. The Thing (1982 but the 1951 version is good, too)
    3. Night of the Living Dead
    4. The Haunting
    5. Halloween
    6. Psycho
    7. The Ring
    8. Poltergeist
    9. The Omen
    10. Alien/Carrie (tie)
    Great list Delilah. I have to say The Omen was probably the scariest movie I ever saw. I remember being scared by NOTLD too. I also would add Rosemary's Baby and The Exorcist. I never saw The Haunting and The Ring. Gotta love the Rocky Horror Picture Show.

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    I initially misread your post and thought you were referring to "The Other," a 1972 film about creepy twins. I loved that film as a kid, and the book too.

But yes! The Nicole Kidman film, that was great.
    Oh yes, I remember “The Other”—that one creeped me out as a kid. I read the book as well as another by Thomas Tryon, “Harvest Home.” It was really good and was also made into a TV movie, with Bette Davis playing the sinister matriarch of a strange town with strange rituals.

Quote Originally Posted by My My View Post
    Love your list, Delilah! I would add Rosemary's Baby, The Exorcist, and "It". I haven't seen the movie "It" yet, only the miniseries that I have recorded.
    Quote Originally Posted by New Kid In Town View Post
    Great list Delilah. I have to say The Omen was probably the scariest movie I ever saw. I remember being scared by NOTLD too. I also would add Rosemary's Baby and The Exorcist. I never saw The Haunting and The Ring. Gotta love the Rocky Horror Picture Show.
    Thank you both. I agree about Rosemary’s Baby and The Exorcist too. Only so many to list! I saw “It” with my daughter a couple of weeks ago. I thought it was much better than the mini-series, although the timeline was different.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

I had to read Rosemary's Baby for my college's book club in the spring. As someone who has been pregnant and given birthed, the book creeped me the hell out. I'm not sure if I could stomach watching the movie.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I'm not big on scary movies and don't watch them, usually. I mustered up the courage a few years ago to watch The Shining on Halloween and have tried to watch it every year since.

I might have to try The Omen. Back in the 80's sometime on Halloween, I was working late one night in my neighboring small town. I stopped for gas before going home and while pumping it my nephew jumped out from behind my car with a "Jason" mask on (is that The Omen?) and carrying a stick and nearly scared me to death! I'll never forget that!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by AlreadyGone95 View Post
    I had to read Rosemary's Baby for my college's book club in the spring. As someone who has been pregnant and given birthed, the book creeped me the hell out. I'm not sure if I could stomach watching the movie.
    I haven’t read the book but I imagine it’s pretty graphic compared to the movie. A lot of it is left to the imagination in the film. I would say it’s more suspense than horror, except for the ending. But yeah, I probably wouldn’t be too keen on watching it if I were expecting at the time.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

The "It" miniseries that ya'll are referring to: are we talking about the old miniseries with Tim Curry as the evil clown? That rocked. It was a bit cheesy in the non-Tim parts, but well worth it for the epic performance by Mr. Curry.

Another autumn-flavored favorite for me is Johnny Depp in "Sleepy Hollow." Beautiful to look at, very atmospheric.

Border Rebel

Yes, NMB, that was the mini series I was referring to. Curry did do a great job in that. I preferred the beginning part with the kids and Pennywise to the later parts when they were adults!

Border Rebel

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    I'm not big on scary movies and don't watch them, usually. I mustered up the courage a few years ago to watch The Shining on Halloween and have tried to watch it every year since.

I might have to try The Omen. Back in the 80's sometime on Halloween, I was working late one night in my neighboring small town. I stopped for gas before going home and while pumping it my nephew jumped out from behind my car with a "Jason" mask on (is that The Omen?) and carrying a stick and nearly scared me to death! I'll never forget that!
    The Omen is a 1976 movie starring Gregory Peck. It is about he and his wife discovering that their son Damian is the antichrist. Very creepy and more along the lines of The Exorcist.

Jason is the character from the Friday the 13th series of movies. He wears the mask.