Page 8 of 68 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858 ... LastLast

Thread: The Border Book Club

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Default Re: The Border Book Club

I was wondering if anyone could give me a bit of advice. Does anyone here use a wireless reading device such as the Kindle from Amazon or know anything about them? I looked into them a few years back and have recently seen a couple books that you can only get via download and was wondering if I should perhaps look into them again. I don't know anything about them other than the Kindle is $300 which seems like quite a bit. Books are so expensive and from what I understand, the downloads for these devices are cheaper so I could possible save $$ in the long run. Is there a good variety? Is there a brand that is better than the other? Are they pretty much universal?

Any advice anyone could give me would be appreciated.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

I have yesterday the book Portrait Of A Killer: Jack The Ripper -- Case Closed from Patricia Cornwell finished.
    This book explores the question of who was Jack the Ripper.
    Jack the Ripper was renowned artist Walter Sickert (1860-1942 he was born in Germany) according to Cornwell, the book is quite interesting, sometimes a bit boring, when any DNA tests to be described!
    The book describes among others the travel itinerary by Walter Sickert and he actually comes in my area, only a few miles from my hometown!
    It is strangely to read in a book concerning Jack the Ripper suddenly very well-known cities, where I am from time to time!
    Finally, I never brought before JtR with Germany in connection!
    "For the record, we never broke up, we just took a 14-year vacation!"
    (Glenn Frey)

That sounds interesting, Koala. I have always been facinated by the story, I guess it's because it was never really proven who he actually was. It certainly isn't because of the gory details of his crimes! I have been to London & seen the areas where he commited the murders. I even saw a play there about him. Believe it or not, it was a musical! All I remember of the songs is one line, "The Ripper's gonna getcha if you don't watch out!" I must look for the book that you read.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Koala View Post
    I have yesterday the book Portrait Of A Killer: Jack The Ripper -- Case Closed from Patricia Cornwell finished.
    Jack the Ripper was renowned artist Walter Sickert (1860-1942 he was born in Germany) according to Cornwell, the book is quite interesting, sometimes a bit boring, when any DNA tests to be described!
    The book describes among others the travel itinerary by Walter Sickert and he actually comes in my area, only a few miles from my hometown!
    It is strangely to read in a book concerning Jack the Ripper suddenly very well-known cities, where I am from time to time!
    It has never been proven who he was. Sickert is one of many candidates. I would take this with a very large grain of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    It has never been proven who he was. Sickert is one of many candidates. I would take this with a very large grain of salt.
    Yeah, I know that Sickert is just one of many possible candidate and it will certainly never come out who was Jack the Ripper really but it was still strange to read in this context, something about my home area!

GF, I was always been facinated by the story, too. WOW a musical about Jack the Ripper this sounds interesting!
    (Glenn Frey)

Quote Originally Posted by Koala View Post
    I haven't read that particular book but I've read a few of Patricia Cornwell's books and have found them to be really interesting. I like the crime/drama type of stories. Her writing kind of reminds me of the show C.S.I. If you liked the Jack The Ripper book by her, I recommend checking out some of her other books too.
    ~Jess~

Stranded "on a corner in Winslow, Arizona
    Such a fine sight to see."

Quote Originally Posted by Peekaboo View Post
    I haven't read that particular book but I've read a few of Patricia Cornwell's books and have found them to be really interesting. I like the crime/drama type of stories. Her writing kind of reminds me of the show C.S.I. If you liked the Jack The Ripper book by her, I recommend checking out some of her other books too.
    I do like that kind of book. I must look them up. I like CSI too. I guess that I enjoy mysteries.
    Last edited by GlennLover; 11-02-2009 at 08:55 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Peekaboo View Post
    Yeah, I agree with you her books a really good, I have read already a many of Patricia Cornwell´s books and all the books are always exciting and interesting to the end!
    (Glenn Frey)

I've just finished a book called 'A Quiet Belief In Angels' by RJ Ellory. It's not really a quick-read thriller, but I finished it as if it was one! I just couldn't put it down. It was very sad and quite harrowing in parts, but it was also wonderfully written and incredibly suspenseful. It's about life and the things that shape you - told by a guy named Joseph Vaughan, who takes us from when he was a child up to adulthood. It's based around a series of murders that take place in his small Georgia town. He and his schoolfriends form a group named 'The Guardians', which aims to protect the people of Augusta Falls from whomever is committing these crimes. Of course they're only kids, and there's nothing really they can do. When something happens to one of the girls Joseph swore to protect, he carries that guilt with him and makes it his life purpose to find the killer...

That's a very brief outline! It's about so much more. Family relations, prejudice, small-town life, the way writing becomes a way of coping for Joseph and how his teacher encourages him to make writing his life... As I said, some might find it too harrowing or a bit depressing, but I think it's well worth the read. Beautifully written. I'll definitely be looking out for more of RJ Ellory's books.

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--

Thanks Louise, I'll put it on my list. Sounds like a good one.

I picked up the new Stephen King book today after reading an excerpt in Entertainment Weekly....hubby "gifted" me with Just After Sunset last Christmas, and he's "gifting" me with Under the Dome this year. I love getting what I really want.....

Slogging through the Dark Tower series again...I'm about 3/4 way through book 3 (Wastelands).

And working through a book of Kurt Vonnegut short stories. I love Vonnegut. In a strange way, he makes me chuckle.
    You better put it all behind you baby, ‘cause life goes on,
    You keep carryin’ that anger, it’ll eat you up inside…
    Heart of the Matter