Page 197 of 301 FirstFirst ... 97147187193194195196197198199200201207247297 ... LastLast
Results 1,961 to 1,970 of 3010

Thread: Eagles Mentions in the Press (2006 - 2017)

Default Re: Eagles Mentions in the Press

Oh my freaking gosh, I am SO PISSED OFF at Irving Azoff telling the guys not to write or perform new material.

Yeah, they can make their own decisions, but he should be encouraging them, not telling them to "not bother." He should be giving them reasons TO write, not giving them reasons to bow out.

I didn't exactly see swaths of empty seats during the LROOE tour. Did I imagine the fact that the album was #1 on the charts as well? So much for there being no demand.

Oh, sure, LROOE didn't sell as much as their old albums, but that's the way it is in today's climate. Just because you can't match the Hotel California numbers that were reached FOUR DECADES ago doesn't mean you should just give up your art.

I've heard Stevie Nicks say the same thing about nobody wanting to hear her new material, so she doesn't perform more than a couple new songs per tour. At least she has two up on the Eagles there, who currently perform a big fat ZERO songs from their latest album. I love the guys so much, but that is just WRONG. The "History of the Eagles" did not end 20 years ago in 1994.

And before anyone says "Well, their shows sell out so they must be right not to play new songs" remember that they sold out shows for their prior tours where they DID play new songs. They sell great regardless, because they're the EAGLES and people love them.

While I hope Irving Azoff was just talking about telling them to "not bother" to perform new songs (although that's bad enough), what really horrifies me is the notion that he is discouraging them from WRITING new songs. God forbid an artist stops songwriting for purely commercial reasons. If you have the kind of gift these guys have, to throw it away because it will only sell a few million (GASP HORROR) is downright CRIMINAL.

Not to be vulgar, but I hope these guys still have the balls to go forward with new music regardless of what anyone else, including Irving Azoff, may say.

I haven't written a fan letter in years, but I might do so to tell these guys that there are people out there who want new material.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Not to be vulgar, but I hope these guys still have the balls to go forward with new music regardless of what anyone else, including Irving Azoff, may say.

I haven't written a fan letter in years, but I might do so to tell these guys that there are people out there who want new material.
    You go, sista!

Given how long it took the guys to get motivated and get LROOE out (and consider the state of Don's new album), I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Irving is using reverse psychology. It often works on men, and perhaps Irving has figured that out? Probably the hard way?
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    You go, sista!

Given how long it took the guys to get motivated and get LROOE out (and consider the state of Don's new album), I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Irving is using reverse psychology. It often works on men, and perhaps Irving has figured that out? Probably the hard way?

Totally agree with you VA, reverse psychology. I hope that's what he is doing.

Stuck on the Border

I saw them lose confidence in LROOE songs in 2010. I saw them play BBF & GOTC on the first night in Sydney. Both songs were then dropped. I saw Somebody on three nights & then it was dropped.

None of this happened, it should be remembered, on Glenn's After Hours tour, where he performed NINE songs from the album every night. The only new song which wasn't played at each show was Here's To Life (and on the American leg that wasn't introduced until the LA show I attended) but he then did it at each Australasian show.

It seems to me that we are being slowly prepared for the breakup.
    Last edited by Freypower; 07-10-2014 at 12:35 AM.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    It seems to me that we are being slowly prepared for the breakup.
    Hmmm. Maybe, except they won't tell us they've broken up. Before the HotE tour the message was that it was their last big tour although they'd probably still play together afterwards from time to time.

If they get on with their own projects, maybe it's not such a bad idea.

I wouldn't be adverse to a new album with three or four solo songs from each with no attempt to present it as a group offering.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    Hmmm. Maybe, except they won't tell us they've broken up. Before the HotE tour the message was that it was their last big tour although they'd probably still play together afterwards from time to time.

If they get on with their own projects, maybe it's not such a bad idea.

I wouldn't be adverse to a new album with three or four solo songs from each with no attempt to present it as a group offering.
    Well, I would. It would be beyond awkward. How would it be billed? You couldn't call it 'Eagles' if it isn't.

Yes, if it's an Eagles album, I want all the Eagles involved in every song - even if it's just adding backing vocals or instrumentation to a track that's essentially complete. That's what they did for several LROOE songs.

The good news is that from what they've said, it sounds like they're never going to OFFICIALLY call it quits until someone becomes physically incapable of performing. The problem is that if the occasional post-HOTE shows are going to be 16 or 17 songs from here on out... well... let's just say that "epic" would no longer be an adjective I'd use after seeing a show.

That being said, what's most important to me is the music they RELEASE. That will be around long after the Eagles stop touring. That's why I desperately hope that they still produce work even now, be it as the Eagles or solo.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

"Separate Threads: Eagles Flying Solo"? Think of it as an extension to the brand.

Of course, it would be better if they could come together and write and record new material in a timely fashion, but if that's too difficult, I'd rather they recorded new music as solo artists.

I can understand where Irving and even the guys is going with this. I'm going to give you an example. A favorite group of mines, The Osmonds had that same problem. We beg the guys to put out a new studio for many many many years. They kept saying nobody wanted to hear new songs, but we wanted new songs.

They finally put out a new studio album(they are also known to do cover songs. So it was cool to hear actually new songs) 2 years ago. We loved the album and to tell the truth. A lot of fans rather hear those songs than some of the songs they play in their set. Heartache Tonight is one of them. They've been singing that song since the 80s. They catered mostly to the age group from the 60s when they were the Andy Williams show. They always forget about the fans who are their ages.

They have about 4 of the new songs in their setlist now and it took the place of songs some of us were tired of hearing.

I guess it depends. In my case we rather have new songs in the set. I really they barely did any songs from LROOE in the USA other than that one time at the forum.

Stuck on the Border

Last year, there was a story with a headline about "No Christmas cards" but only a summary of the feature was available to non-subscribers at that time. The full piece is now online and it's pretty good, with comments from Bernie Leadon, Glyn Johns, Ron Stone and Jackson Browne.

http://www.uncut.co.uk/eagles/eagles...utlaws-feature

Nevertheless, changes were taking place in the band dynamic. Having worked with them mere months before on their debut, and as a producer who was firmly committed to the Eagles being an equilibrium where “no-one feels left out and is fairly represented”, Johns noticed a clear shift in the power base. “Henley and Frey assumed control during Desperado, is the best way of putting it,” he says. “That feeling was always there, but stronger on the second LP.”
    On Desperado, the pair had a hand in writing eight of the 10 originals, and shared writing credits on the two most high- profile tracks – “Tequila Sunrise” and “Desperado”. It was the start of the Eagles’ musical output beginning to reflect both the band hierarchy and also the manner in which it had been formed in the first place. “There was a degree of prefabrication to the Eagles,” says Stone. “We put them all together, with Glenn and Don as the centrepieces, but they wanted it to be a real, organic band. That’s the emotional component of the first two records: to be a proper band, almost playing at being a democracy. What they realised as time went on is that rock’n’roll is a benevolent dictatorship.”
    Leadon, perhaps surprisingly, agrees: “They were more suited to lead. It was actually Glyn’s idea to make it more of a four-way thing. The natural dynamic was more like a Beatles vibe, with two main guys, but Glyn pushed hard to make sure Randy and I had two songs each on Desperado, and it worked out OK.” While both Leadon and Stone believe the friction and creative tension was a positive force initially, it quickly became a problem. Shortly into the recording of their third record, On The Border, they sacked Johns. “We fell out, really,” he says. “Henley and Frey treated the others like inferior beings – particularly Frey. I didn’t like what I was seeing at all and I made that fairly obvious.” Don Felder came in on extra guitar and the sound toughened. Not much later Leadon left, then Meisner. “Democracy does not serve the creative impulse well,” shrugs Browne. “In the end, Don and Glenn just took over the band.”
    Last edited by UndertheWire; 07-12-2014 at 03:37 PM.