Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Share the Music You Love

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Default Re: Share the Music You Love

Here's something I have downloaded on my ipod (thanks to the little hint I picked up from here called Freecorder.com). This young lady is a couple of our best friends daughter, Brittany Lee, and is a student at Columbia in Chicago with the rest of the band members. They are called the 409's and it looks like we might have them in our backyard for our sons graduation party! They are in the process of recording a cd now and trying to get there names out there. They do a lot of stuff that they write themselves but also covers. I just found out that they did a cover of Best Of My Love. It's different and very soulful (perhaps the was Don says he would of rather have done it???) You can find it on their MySpace.
    http://www.myspace.com/the409s

and this is Brittany's MySpace which has a lot of original stuff on it.
    http://www.myspace.com/brittanyleemoffitt

and here is a video from YouTube of them covering Led Zeppelin's Good Times, Bad Times

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uiydzjufkE[/ame]

Anyways, you might be interested in checking out some of their stuff on these sights. I think she has a wonderful voice (but then again I am pretty partial when it comes to her since I've known her all her life!)
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Thank you Fp! That was gorgeous! I can feel myself becoming a huge Zep/Plant fan now. Strange how I didn't really care for their music back in the day. Of course, I hadn't seen what they looked like then either until we got a dvd of theirs. I guess that shouldn't matter, but............
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Don't worry about it Brooke. I was a late convert too. It took me a very long time because I found the length of some of the songs a bit off putting. Even now, awesome though the Physical Graffiti album is, I find it hard to remember some of it.

Regarding Robert's solo stuff I recommend the following albums:

Fate Of Nations (includes If I Were A Carpenter & 29 Palms, which is a fantastic song)
    Now & Zen (includes beautiful ballad Ship Of Fools, Tall Cool One which references old Zep tracks, Heaven Knows)
    Manic Nirvana (includes Hurtin' Kind (fantastic rocker), Tie Die On The Highway)
    Mighty Rearranger (extremely high quality CD).

The Page/Plant No Quarter Unledded CD includes some wonderful remakes of old songs such as That's The Way, Thank You, Friends and Kashmir.

And Koala, thanks for linking to Biko. I saw him sing it too, on the Us tour. It was wonderful.

I have always liked Nickelback but for some reason I have been stuck on this one for awhile. Every time I play my ipod, I have to listen to it at least once.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NknSQdPEQtQ[/ame]

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Quite honestly, I still have never gotten into Led Zeppelin's music - Stairway To Heaven is their only song that I really like. I bought Mothership a while back thinking I'd give them another listen, but it still did nothing for me. I do, however, appreciate the iconic status the band has reached in rock 'n roll history, even though, IMHO, it may be based solely on the strength of Stairway To Heaven.

As far as Nickelback - I enjoy a lot of their music. I think Chad is an extremely talented guy.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

I never got into Led Zepplin either... it's just not my style. What more can I say?
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

I'm truly offended by you anti Zep people. Just kidding but it is so rare to see people that don't like Zep and admit they really never heard that much of them. WOW. But, see, I'm one of those that has kept a deep dark secret off this board till now. I know exactly what you mean to not be in the mainstream of something like that. I have a confession--I don't like the Beatles! There, I said it. I'm truly ashamed and have seriously tried but I don't get it. To me that music is the most boring ordinary stuff I have ever heard. JMHO! My husband and I have had some pretty serious discussions regarding this (the only thing that has saved our marriage is the fact we both do agree on Zep ) and my son has threatened to disown me because of it.

Believe me there is more to Zep then Stairway. If you like some old blues, just pull out Zeppelin I. And Presence ---OMG--unbelievable stuff. You said you have Mothership---I can't even describe to you what it does to me to watch Jimmy Page during The Ocean on their! I swear, my husband told me my reaction was almost obscene the first time we watched it after it came out.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

You are too funny, TBF! Like I said, I had to see Led Zep before I finally warmed up to them! Back in the day I thought they did way too much screaming!

I was the same way with Pink Floyd. I just thought they were pretty wierd. Then we got a very cool stereo in a car and heard Comfortably Numb and Wish You Were Here LOUD. OMG, the guitar work is so beautiul. A few years later I got the magical dvd Pulse. Even without Roger Waters, it is fantastic!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Weird Brooke---I just posted a response to Lou in the What Are You Listening to about Floyd!! Spooky!!!!! I now love them also, but like I told her, didn't appreciate them till about 20 years ago when my husband introduced me to them. Amazing stuff and David Gilmour is just fantastic!!! Another thread possibly? I might have to start a Cars thread also and spread the word of Benjamin Orr and Ric Ocasek! Soda's going to tell me to go elsewhere or stick to the Eagles if I do!!

Stuck on the Border

I prefer Pink Floyd without Roger Waters. He wrote all the lyrics, yes, but he was somewhat pompous. Gilmour is a far superior singer and obviously a great guitarist.

We've got the new Led Zeppelin thread so you can see my thoughts on them over there. TBF, regarding the Beatles my husband doesn't like them either. I really don't know what to say to that. It is something I cannot imagine.