Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Guns N'Roses

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Default Re: Guns N'Roses

Quote Originally Posted by Topkat View Post
    There are plenty of groups that have 1 member of the original group and still use the name. Mostly bands from the 60's & 70's. It depends on who has ownership of the name, & it looks like AXL does, so he gets to use it. Most fans are already aware of it, so it's not such a big deal. Guns & Roses were from the 80's so, yes, the band members are going to be different. People know if they see G&R that it's not going to be the same & they won't be seeing Slash. Originally Guns n' Roses was named for Tracy Gunns & Axl Rose. Tracy left the band before they even became famous. He later formed the band the LA Guns.
    Seriously? I TOTALLY disagree---I am a huge GNR fan and have been from the get go (there's a GNR tattoo involved to prove it) and I think it's a HUGE deal. I agree band members change but when ALL of them change but one, it's no longer the band but a cover band. As much as I love Axl's voice and don't feel that GNR could be GNR without his voice, I don't think it's GNR without a couple more members to go along with him. And I also think that the majority of GNR fans feel that way also and feel it's lame for Axl to continue doing it. Now that's not to say that I wouldn't like to see Axl solo but if I see GNR I want at least 3 of the original members in the band.

Topkat--I was wondering if you've read any of the biographies by Slash, Duff or Steven's? Steven's is so very, very sad and inspiring at the same time. He is very honest about how bad he got and has regrets but yet says he'd pretty much do it all over again. He was the first one to say he'd be at any reunion as soon as he got a phone call. He delves into the Don Henley thing and how he left the band. All the versions of it in all 3 books pretty much tell the story the same way only from each of their points of view. If you haven't read these---please do. I am a rock biography junkie and read them all the time and think Slash's is one of the best one's I've ever read.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan View Post
    Seriously? I TOTALLY disagree---I am a huge GNR fan and have been from the get go (there's a GNR tattoo involved to prove it) and I think it's a HUGE deal. I agree band members change but when ALL of them change but one, it's no longer the band but a cover band. As much as I love Axl's voice and don't feel that GNR could be GNR without his voice, I don't think it's GNR without a couple more members to go along with him. And I also think that the majority of GNR fans feel that way also and feel it's lame for Axl to continue doing it. Now that's not to say that I wouldn't like to see Axl solo but if I see GNR I want at least 3 of the original members in the band.

Topkat--I was wondering if you've read any of the biographies by Slash, Duff or Steven's? Steven's is so very, very sad and inspiring at the same time. He is very honest about how bad he got and has regrets but yet says he'd pretty much do it all over again. He was the first one to say he'd be at any reunion as soon as he got a phone call. He delves into the Don Henley thing and how he left the band. All the versions of it in all 3 books pretty much tell the story the same way only from each of their points of view. If you haven't read these---please do. I am a rock biography junkie and read them all the time and think Slash's is one of the best one's I've ever read.
    No matter what anyone thinks about Axl using the Guns n' Roses name is not for the fans to decide. He has the perfect right to do so. Just because you want 3 of the original members in the band doesn't mean he can't use the name. This is what 25 years later. I mean seriously... Obviously since they don't want to reunite for the R&R HOF induction means that things are that bad between them. All I can say is then don't go to see them if you don't like it.

As for the bios, I have not read them. I would like to read the one by Slash, but the others I don't really care to read. As for Adler, well he is a very sad case. He's lucky to be alive. Yes, I'm sure he would love to reunite with them, because he has been a pretty much lost cause since then. In the bio's, do they mention that Adler almost killed Alx's then girlfriend Erin by giving her a drug cocktail that almost killed her????She almost OD'd along with Alder when they did drugs together. Axl said he then fired him. I would like to read Axl's bio if he does one.

It is what it is...Guns n' Roses are never going to return to the glory days. Not all bands can reunite & get over the past and it looks like G&R is one of those bands.

Steve Adler speaks out on G&R & Axl;

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/steve...-lineup-hacks/

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan View Post
    I am a rock biography junkie and read them all the time and think Slash's is one of the best one's I've ever read.
    I haven't read Duff's or Steven's yet, but I will put them on my list right now. I agree with Slash's though. One of the best I have read to date. I finished it and immediately started over on it again. It was just that good.

As for the GnR debate, it's amazing and cool at the same time, to still see the devotion of long time fans for the original line up. For me, it was that moment in time, and no, it can't be revisited, but there was nothing else like it and for me, never will be. They were the right band, at the right time, with the right sound, for the right period in my own personal life. They epitomized everything that I dreamed of as a kid that rock and roll was supposed to be. They were raw, loud, raucous and needed a bath. I LOVED them.

My mind is Tiffany twisted

I only saw G&R once, I think it was in 88' at the Ritz in NY. What I remember about it was that Slash & Axl had no shirts on & it was a sweaty good time! I think I once saw some footage of this show on YouTube.
    Yeah, they all needed a shower big time!
    I also remember not being able to take my eyes off Axl. He was quite a front man, especially in those days OMG

Steve Adler gives public apology to G&R;

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/steve...hacks-apology/

Quote Originally Posted by Topkat View Post
    I only saw G&R once, I think it was in 88' at the Ritz in NY. What I remember about it was that Slash & Axl had no shirts on & it was a sweaty good time! I think I once saw some footage of this show on YouTube.
    Yeah, they all needed a shower big time!
    I also remember not being able to take my eyes off Axl. He was quite a front man, especially in those days OMG
    You saw the very concert that I caught on tv, late one night of some 'unknown' band I had never heard of. A few weeks prior to that showing, I was in the record store (remember those??) and I was always up for something new to listen to. I thumbed through countless unknowns in the hard rock section and settled on something called Guns N' Roses. The name was cool and catchy. Let's check this out. I got home and was FLOORED by the music. Then to find out the SAME singer was lead on all the songs??? How could that be? Such range and so much variation in his voice. Needless to say, I was HOOKED. My friends, who were all at the point of living the 'perfect marriage, white picket fence, lets have babies" stages were horrified by new found music. They quit coming over for awhile because that was all I was playing. My husband's parents were out of town and we were over at their house, they had cable tv. Flipping through about 4am, there on MTV I heard a familiar noise. It was a bit sloppy, out of tune but it was balls to the wall and I recognized it immediately. Yep, it was my new band I had discovered, GnR! I was elated, mesmerized (hubby was not nearly impressed as I was... *shrugs*). This cemented my love for them even more. I was buying EVERY magazine I could get my hands on. I was a hairdresser and the walls of my shop were immediately covered in posters. Even the ceiling had a life size poster of the entire band. (I didn't do old ladies hair lol) But, like you, I was addicted to them like a bad drug habit. I loved Axl and Slash both and back then, yes, I thought Axl was the greatest front man to come along in years. And to me, Slash just oozed sex appeal. I think it was the sweat. lol And the guitar work. He was brilliant. Ok, I should hush now.

I posted 2 videos from this show on my FB page last night. I didn't even know that this show was on video. I ended up there quite by accident, as I didn't even have a ticket, but everyone was buzzing about this show all over the city. Me & some friends went down there to see what was going on & we got in. It was just crazy in there. HOT & SWEATY!!! The fans were just going NUTS!

Just read my copy of "Reckless Road" today. It's actually more of a picture book than anything, but includes stories about most of the photos and all of that. Was recommended to me by someone on the Les Paul guitar forum - I like it. It's full of great photos. It was "written" and the photos were taken by Marc Canter - a friend of Slash's since the beginning.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

I'm going to have to buy that! If my memory is correct, Slash mentions Marc in his book and talks about the photos being made into a book.