Page 60 of 145 FirstFirst ... 105056575859606162636470110 ... LastLast

Thread: For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

Border Rebel

Default Re: Eagles.... 3.0

I didn't really get that this thread was supposed to be exclusively for those against the current lineup. If that's the case, the title is confusing. It seems to me that when it started, it was a place to discuss and debate Eagles 3.0, positive or negative.

Regardless, I've been trying to stay out of the thread as it's not good for my blood pressure. Sometimes, like today, I click on it without thinking about it, so I'm not really even sure why I'm commenting. LOL.

GA - Very well said. I hope those who come in here and get all upset at those of us who don't like this will read your post and take it into consideration. I hope things look up for you soon. Take care. I also agree that it was Glenn's band.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    Actually - this entire page about clocks it. Well done everyone!

And GA - I am sorry that you have had such a rough year. Your post was far from clumsy. I loved it, especially this:

"Just to me, The Eagles are not the Eagles without Glenn It was his band, he started it, he maintained it and as far as I'm concerned he called time on it.

I couldn't agree more. When Glenn quit in 1980, the band ceased to exist until he agreed to reunite in 1994. If he were still with us, Glenn would have remained as long as he wanted the band to exist. Everyone always acknowledged that the decision about whether or not to continue the band always rested with Glenn when he was alive and after his passing, the remaining members unanimously set the expectation that they would not continue without him. Simply put, they all stated there could be no Eagles without Glenn. That's the way it should have been.

But, as I’ve said in the past, I guess if anyone doesn’t believe that Glenn’s contributions to the band are unparalleled and he is essential to any band called 'Eagles', then any attempt to convince them is probably feudal. On the other hand, any attempt to convince us otherwise is also an exercise in futility. So, I think it would be great if we can all just accept that and be respectful of one another.
    Dreamer - I totally agree and could not have said it better myself.
    GA and Austin - Exactly how I think we all feel.

Actually - this entire page about clocks it. Well done everyone!

And GA - I am sorry that you have had such a rough year. Your post was far from clumsy. I loved it, especially this:

"Just to me, The Eagles are not the Eagles without Glenn It was his band, he started it, he maintained it and as far as I'm concerned he called time on it.

I couldn't agree more. When Glenn quit in 1980, the band ceased to exist until he agreed to reunite in 1994. If he were still with us, Glenn would have remained as long as he wanted the band to exist. Everyone always acknowledged that the decision about whether or not to continue the band always rested with Glenn when he was alive and after his passing, the remaining members unanimously set the expectation that they would not continue without him. Simply put, they all stated there could be no Eagles without Glenn. That's the way it should have been.

But, as I’ve said in the past, I guess if anyone doesn’t believe that Glenn’s contributions to the band are unparalleled and he is essential to any band called 'Eagles', then any attempt to convince them is probably feudal. On the other hand, any attempt to convince us otherwise is also an exercise in futility. So, I think it would be great if we can all just accept that and be respectful of one another.
    That's exactly right, when Glenn was unwilling and/or unable to perform, tour or record the Eagles were grounded. It was Glenn who called timeout and timein.

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

Quote Originally Posted by maryc2130 View Post
    I didn't really get that this thread was supposed to be exclusively for those against the current lineup. If that's the case, the title is confusing. It seems to me that when it started, it was a place to discuss and debate Eagles 3.0, positive or negative.
    As I said earlier, the purpose of the thread changed over time as the circumstances changed. However, you have a good point about the thread title no longer being descriptive - it's actually something i have been worried about as well. We might fiddle with things a bit to clarify in coming days.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Yeah, I can understand if the current "purpose of this thread" isn't clear to everyone. It has been said many times, but people haven't necessarily read the whole thread. I agree that a more descreptive title would help.
    Last edited by chaim; 01-06-2018 at 03:17 PM.

I agree a title change could clear it up, but I guess I would have thought it was clear what opinion dominated this thread and that it was for those of us against it. Still, for newcomers, I think it's a good idea to clear the air about the thread's purpose. I've never had a problem with what the thread was called. I've only had a problem with those who insist on trolling or those who get upset at our views.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border

I also am not against the title of the thread being changed, but if it starts another avalanche of supporters being unhappy about 'negativity' it could backfire, perhaps.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

As I do on occasion, I went over to the Eagles official site out of curiosity earlier today. At the top of the banner, in a font so small that I didn’t even notice it at a first and even second glance, it reads ‘Glenn Frey 1948 -2016’. So that’s what we have left of the founding member and leader of the band for over 45 years. Of course, underneath the banner is a nice large picture of the new band with said leader’s replacements, and below that, in font about 2/3’s larger than said leader’s acknowledgement is the announcement of the new tour.

I swear it literally turned my stomach when I saw it. I started thinking back to the beginning of the original Eagles 3.0 thread when some members kept warning us about how much we were overreacting – after all they were only doing two shows that would be wonderful opportunities to pay proper tribute to Glenn that he so deserved … and it’s not like they were replacing him in the band – everyone knew he could never be replaced for goodness sake ... and therefore, it really didn’t matter what they called themselves … yadda yadda yadda. All I can say is what a difference a year (or maybe it’s 9 months) makes.

I also remember some discussions on the board back several years ago around the time that a few shows had to be canceled due to Don’s and Tim’s health issues when I proclaimed on several occasions that if any of the four remaining member were unable to continue, then I truly believed the band would call it quits. Wow! – How foolish and naïve was I ??? OOPS! So, at this point, yeah … I’m now of the opinion that if they can replace Glenn, then any and all of the members are replaceable. The precedent has now been set and this could keep going for who knows how long. As long as there is still milk in the proverbial cash cow, it really doesn’t matter much who is up on the stage as long as it’s named ‘Eagles’. If we are right about this, all I can say is WHAT A FREAKIN’ SHAME to reduce the legacy of America's greatest band to this.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Out on the Border

As I do on occasion, I went over to the Eagles official site out of curiosity earlier today. At the top of the banner, in a font so small that I didn’t even notice it at a first and even second glance, it reads ‘Glenn Frey 1948 -2016’. So that’s what we have left of the founding member and leader of the band for over 45 years. Of course, underneath the banner is a nice large picture of the new band with said leader’s replacements, and below that, in font about 2/3’s larger than said leader’s acknowledgement is the announcement of the new tour.

I swear it literally turned my stomach when I saw it. I started thinking back to the beginning of this thread when some members kept warning us about how much we were overreacting – after all they were only doing two shows that would be wonderful opportunities to pay proper tribute to Glenn that he so deserved … and it’s not like they were replacing him in the band – everyone knew he could never be replaced for goodness sake ... and therefore, it really didn’t matter what they called themselves … yadda yadda yadda. All I can say is what a difference a year (or maybe it’s 9 months) makes.

I also remember some discussions on the board back several years ago around the time that a few shows had to be canceled due to Don’s and Tim’s health issues when I proclaimed on several occasions that if any of the four remaining member were unable to continue, then I truly believed the band would call it quits. Wow! – How foolish and naïve was I ??? OOPS! So, at this point, yeah … I’m now of the opinion that if they can replace Glenn, then any and all of the members are replaceable. The precedent has now been set and this could keep going for who knows how long. As long as there is still milk in the proverbial cash cow, it really doesn’t matter much who is up on the stage as long as it’s named ‘Eagles’. If we are right about this, all I can say is WHAT A FREAKIN’ SHAME to reduce the legacy of America's greatest band to this.
    I am pretty sure I saw a video somewhere of Timothy talking, about how some older bands continue with hardly any of the original members left, and how he would not want to be a part of that.

I agree with you. Glenn can't be replaced. No disrespect intended towards Glenn's son or Vince but when I think of the Eagles, it's Glenn's face that comes to mind first. He is missed.