Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RIP Rick Hall

Default RIP Rick Hall

Rick Hall founded FAME Recording Studios in Muscle Shoals, Alabama, and turned it into a recording Mecca. Glenn recorded "Smuggler's Blues" in the Shoals (although I think he went to Muscle Shoals Sound to do it), and Bob Seger has recorded many songs in the Shoals. Rick Hall started it all, though.

If you haven't seen the documentary "Muscle Shoals," I highly recommend it. Rick was a great guy and a beloved member of the Muscle Shoals community.

http://www.al.com/entertainment/inde...le_shoals.html

Default Re: RIP Rick Hall

He also produced my other favorite group, The Osmonds. I think he had produced their no. 1 hit One Bad Apple.

I was looking on Wikipedia and he has produced so many artist albums.

RIP Rick Hall.

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

@shun -- Rick and the FAME Gang actually produced the first two or three Osmonds albums, as well as the Donny Osmond Album. "Flirtin'" from that album really showcases that sound: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kuz6CdDBOg

It's astounding how many hits have come out of FAME studios and Muscle Shoals Sound. My sister had classes at The University of North Alabama with Rick's sons, and with the kids of a couple of the Swampers.

I live about 40 miles east of the Shoals, but everybody knows someone who knows someone who worked there or something. LOL.

Oh crap. I forgot he produced their first two albums. For all these years I've been an Osmond fan, I should had known that. I knew about Donny's album. Thanks for that info, Pippinwhite.

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

You're welcome! Phase III is on YouTube, and it really is a fine album.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pippinwhite View Post
    I live about 40 miles east of the Shoals, but everybody knows someone who knows someone who worked there or something. LOL.
    So have you tried going down to the river to get a song from her? That was a great documentary.

http://musictrail.una.edu/?p=137

If I were a songwriter, I would. River's too wide where I live to do much singing, though.

This is the Tennessee at Wilson Dam in Florence, with several spillways open. Muscle Shoals is on the south side of the river, and Florence on the north side.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Dang, that's a huge river. You would have to go to a quieter, more natural part of it to hear the lady singing.

Pip, have you been able to tour either the FAME or Muscle Shoals studios? I don't even know if they offer that - probably not if they're still working studios.

@NMB-- No, I haven't been on a tour to either studio. I'd love to do that. Yes, they offer tours now; that hasn't always been the case, though. It's mostly been since the documentary was released. But it's on my to-do list, for sure.

The river is so wide there, obviously because of the dam. I think it's a little over a mile at that point. But go downstream about 50 miles or so and it gets much quieter.

Here's the river at Shiloh National Military Park, near Savannnah, Tennessee. Made this one myself. You might hear some singing here, although I suspect the reason they heard it back in the Florence area was because of the shoals. Before the dams were built, that part of the river was nearly impassable unless the water was high.

@Shun -- Alan Osmond had some very kind words about Rick on his Facebook page. It's public; you can just search for it.