Page 26 of 32 FirstFirst ... 16222324252627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles Radio Sirius Channel 30 November 17, 2017

Default Re: Eagles Radio Sirius Channel 30 November 17, 2017

Quote Originally Posted by shunlvswx View Post
    Here's a recap from the show. I'm kinda paraphrasing and I might have missed some parts, but this is what I remembered as I was trying to write it down.

Bill told the story about being asked to be their producer. He, Irving, Tommy Nixon and the guys went to Chuck's Steak House to try to convince Bill to be their producer. Bill really didn't want to be their producer because of their background (country rock). Glenn and even Joe said they really wanted to rock. He finally agreed.

Already gone: His first song he recorded with the Eagles. Glenn felt free with this song.

Best of my love: This song and You Never Cry Like a Lover they kept. Bill remix the song so it can be like the other songs. The Eagles had already recorded ten songs but only kept two(I wonder where those other 8 songs at). Funny story. Bill went to England and called up Glyn to see if he would like to listen to the album. He said yes. Bill went over to his house, had dinner with him and then listen to the album. Bill asked how was it? Glyn said it sucks. Yikes.

On the border: He said why not make it a r&b song. The Temptations style. A call and response song. Everybody did a line in the bridge. Bill said this was his favorite track on the album.

One of these nights. Rock took over. Felder had just join. Joe brought up what part he has from this song. Joe gets Bernie's part. I think they said Bernie came up with the beginning part, but I thought that was a bass line.

Journey of the sorcerer - Bernie was heading out the door and wanted to try to put some of Bernie's songs on the album. Bernie brought in this instrumental and also My Man. Glenn and Don almost shot this down saying we don't do instrumental. (OK. So what is Doolin Dalton instrumental, Wasted Time reprise, I Dream There Was No War. I guess they changed their minds on that) Bill thought it felt like a Finili(SP?) in Florida vibe. Jim Ed Norman wrote the music for the strings. This song was use in a British show called The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Lyin eyes- Joe called this song epic. Bill tells the famous story.

Take It To the Limit: Melvin and the Blue Notes R&B kinda vibe.

After the Thrill Is Gone: Joe asked did Bill had a hand in this. He said no. Don and Glenn brought it to him. He joked about Don and Glenn probably didn't know he producer The Thrill is Gone.

Joe joins the band and Bill asked him back then, "Are you sure you want to do this." A lot of head scratching, but it worked. Joe was around when they were writing for the One of These Nights album.

Try and Love Again: Bill asked how many songs they had ready. Joe said goose egg. Bill said one. Try and Love Again. Nothing else was done at that moment.

Hotel California: Highlight favorite moment was him sitting in the studio, Felder and Joe put down the leads for Hotel California. It took 2 days.

The Eagles wanted to do a double album. How many songs they have. None. Fleetwood Mac was also doing a double album. So it was competition. They had 17 tracks stack up and only used 4 songs that had lyrics.

The Disco Strangler: This is Bill's favorite track from the album.

Teenage Jail: Glenn tried to played sax on this song. They used synthesizer instead.

Random Victims part 3: Soul Pole series. They used that one and Bill also clean that one. I guess it was much dirty than what we hear.
    Wow, this is fascinating. I never get tired of hearing about how albums were produced, which songs made the cut and why, who was doing what, etc. Thank you Shun!!!!

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I'm sorry, but I find that impossible to believe. I always assumed that the title was a direct reference to Bill having produced The Thrill Is Gone.

I will be interested to see Soda's reaction to him stating that TDS is his 'favourite track' from that album.
    I was kinda scratching my head on that part too. I was like huh?

Its coming on again tomorrow. I will re-listen to make sure I got that right, but I think he did say that.

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

Stuck on the Border

Many thanks, Shun!!!

Things started looking up for the Eagles when Bill took over (goodbye Glyn, don't let the door hit you on the way out bud), Felder joined, and then later Joe joined and Bernie left. They really took to hit new heights with Felder and Walsh and a new producer. The dramatic difference between On The Border forward and the first two records that I'm not a fan of are huge. By the time of One of These Nights, obviously Bernie wasn't going to last long anyway. Not his thing at all.

I'll always be thankful for Bill and for the guys getting Joe in there. Had it not been for the Hotel California record, I may not have been here today, and I mean that in more ways than one. HC and TLR made me an Eagles fan. I later appreciated OTB and OOTN, but the first two were not something I liked much other than the biggest hits from LP. I hated Desperado other than the title track.

I think Glyn was a sourpuss because he didn't like the fact the guys were less heavy rock than the groups he had worked with, so he just thought they were only good as a vocal harmony country group. Little did he know, they held their own as a guitar-infused rock n' roll group just as much as The Who, Stones, Zep. Just because their first music wasn't as heavy as Whole Lotta Love, doesn't mean they weren't capable of it. I love the later Eagles for that classic rock sound, man.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border

Thanks for the recap Shun !

Wow - was Glyn John's pissed off or what !?
    QUOTE: Funny story. Bill went to England and called up Glyn to see if he would like to listen to the album. He said yes. Bill went over to his house, had dinner with him and then listen to the album. Bill asked how was it? Glyn said it sucks. Yikes.
    OMG - DS his favorite song from the TL !! I'll say it - YIKES !
    Austin - LMAO over this - "goodbye Glyn, don't let the door hit you on the way out bud". I love all eras of the 70's eagles. However, getting Bill to produce their albums really made the difference and put them over the top. It was a brilliant move for sure.

Wow I really wish we could hear those 8 songs. I gotta believe some of them were half decent. I wonder if Glyn still has them

TDS is Bill's favorite track on The Long Run?

Maybe it's his favorite because it reminds him of an ex-girlfriend or something and he gets a good laugh out of it.... some weird personal reason like that.

Maybe it was a joke or an attempt to counter all of the song's "bad press." He must know that it is considered by most fans to be one of the worst tracks in the Eagles catalog, let alone the worst on The Long Run.

If he was serious, then there's no accounting for taste.

The only think that would be really dismaying is if he was the one that talked the guys into putting that abomination on their album!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Border Rebel

Quote Originally Posted by YoungEaglesFan View Post
    Wow I really wish we could hear those 8 songs. I gotta believe some of them were half decent. I wonder if Glyn still has them
    I suspect a lot those 8 songs were ones that they were playing in concert in November and December of 1973. I saw one of those shows and some of them could be what ended up on ON THE BORDER, but with Glyn Johns as the original producer. On that segment of the tour, they played:

1)Ol'55
    2)Good Day in Hell
    3)James Dean

all of which ended up on OTB and then

4)Wait and See
    5)Georgia Peach
    6)Blackberry Blossom
    7)Bad Man

which ended up nowhere.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

That's four then. Someone has said that there is a studio recording of Randy's epic "Wait and See" that still exists. I hope I get to hear it someday but that's about as likely as me being asked to join the Eagles.

Shun, thank you so much for sharing the major info about the ten recorded songs. I don't think that's ever been reported before. Important Eagles scholarship goin' on here.

Border Rebel

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    TDS is Bill's favorite track on The Long Run?

Maybe it's his favorite because it reminds him of an ex-girlfriend or something and he gets a good laugh out of it.... some weird personal reason like that.

Maybe it was a joke or an attempt to counter all of the song's "bad press." He must know that it is considered by most fans to be one of the worst tracks in the Eagles catalog, let alone the worst on The Long Run.

If he was serious, then there's no accounting for taste.

The only think that would be really dismaying is if he was the one that talked the guys into putting that abomination on their album!
    I think he said one reason he likes it was because it's so different from other Eagles songs. I think he used the phrase "non-Eaglish" (or something similar).

For good or for bad. I'd prefer something more Eaglish!