Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The sisters that introduced Glenn to JD Souther

Stuck on the Border

Default Honey Ltd/Mama Cats

We've all heard about how Glenn followed a girlfriend to California where he met JD Souther who was dating/married to Glenn's girlfriend's sister.

The sisters were part of a four piece girl group who were called The Mama Cats when they were in Michigan but changed the name to Honey Ltd when they got to California. I believe I've read that Bob Seger dated one of the other girls in the group, too. Laura Creamer (Polkinghorne) has worked as a backing singer with Bob and Glenn and Glenn provided backing vocals on one of her albums.

I found this interview where Alex and Joan Sliwin of the women discuss their first album, along with photos and links to youtube.

http://www.self-titledmag.com/2013/0...wood-sessions/

This one does mention Glenn and JD:
    http://www.mypalmbeachpost.com/enter...d8ZKbBTbDs5xH/
    During this time, the sisters also played a small role in the formation of music’s next big thing — the Eagles. Frey was Joan’s boyfriend (“I’m pretty sure I wasn’t the only one,” Joan says of their fluid relationship), and had followed her from Detroit to L.A., staying at her apartment and hoping to break into the West Coast recording scene.
    Naturally, Joan’s boyfriend was introduced to Alex’s husband, and Souther and Frey formed a band called Longbranch Pennywhistle. They released one album, with Joan’s inside cover drawings and a dedication to both sisters as their inspiration.
    After that album didn’t take off, Frey soon created the Eagles with Don Henley, and Souther would be like an ex-facto member of the group, co-writing several of their hits, from “Best of My Love” to “New Kid In Town.” Would it have happened without the Sliwin sisters? Probably, but their part has been overlooked in histories of the band.
    Last edited by UndertheWire; 05-05-2017 at 11:07 AM.

Default Re: Honey Ltd/Mama Cats

Thanks UTW great catch!!

I am just beginning to read this feature article and it's fabulous. Right away we learn the Sliwin sisters lived down the street from Motown's Hitsville USA and Aretha Franklin. Whoa!

Going back to finish reading just wanted to say a quick thank you. I don't think I'd have found this little gem on my own so I appreciate you taking the time to share with us and post the link.

Edited to add

They sound great and clearly enjoy singing and performing together. Good for them I wish they'd had more commercial success seems it wasn't for lack of trying or talent ... IMHO they needed a major radio played hit song to give them wider exposure. I also think the Vegas-like act when they wanted to do contemporary music was another misstep. Sure wish they'd recorded Eli's Coming.

Side note: Brian Wilson's first wife Marilyn, her sister Diane and her cousin also had a girl group, The Honeys and Spring.
    Last edited by Dawn; 05-05-2017 at 01:15 PM.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Interesting articles! Thanks UtW!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

I love reading charming stories like that! To be a fly on the wall in those early days...

I vaguely remember a thread on these ladies here years ago, but of course it didn't have this article with the YouTube links. Thanks for finding this!

Still, I think I'll merge the two threads - if I can find the old one - to keep all our Honey Ltd info in one place.

Again, thanks!!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Default Re: The sisters that introduced Glenn to JD Souther

So, that thread I was speaking of - it was started ELEVEN years ago, dang! That was the first year this forum existed (if you don't count Flip City)! I've merged 'em.

Anyway, it's cool to see the sisters in action. Even now, they sound great.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I love their cover of Eli's Coming!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eEs2jrliRtk

Here's video of them performing for the Bob Hope Christmas Special

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=azGa1Y3otLw
    Last edited by Dawn; 05-05-2017 at 10:08 PM.

Stuck on the Border

Thanks for finding the old thread and merging. I think I misspelt "Sliwin" when searching.

Sometimes, it's as interesting to read about the groups who don't quite make it. They're still all looking good, so whatever they ended up doing, it seems to have suited them.

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    ... Sometimes, it's as interesting to read about the groups who don't quite make it. They're still all looking good, so whatever they ended up doing, it seems to have suited them.
    Edited for relevance

I agree UTW, I'm very interested in pop culture and the evolution of music especially the Laurel Canyon scene of the 60's-70's.

More than anything it appears being in the right place at the right time determined the fate of various musicians and songwriters all competing for the attention of record labels, producers and managers.

Talent was important but not a guarantee e.g Judee Sill who tragically died in 1979 and had a measurable impact on the music and artists of that time period.

https://www.theguardian.com/observer...369079,00.html

Excerpt

"For JD Souther, who broke Sill's heart and inspired her song 'Jesus Was a Crossmaker', there was nobody more important in his musical career, which included co-writing some of the Eagles' biggest hits."
    Last edited by Dawn; 05-06-2017 at 03:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    And then, of course, she introduced him to her sister's new boyfriend... and the rest is history. I'm betting that these girls were the "Alexandra / Joan Claudia" thanked on the Longbranch Pennywhistle album for their "Inspirationticipation."

Just found it a cool little piece of context. FYI - in the photo - Joan is the girl with the long dark hair, second from the right. The girl next to her with the long blonde hair is her sister Alex, JD's girlfriend.
    ~
    Thank you! I've seen some of these pics but I didn't know which one was Joan.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

I'm not sure this is relevant, and admins, feel free to delete this if it's not...but I'm a fan of the 90s tv show Highlander and I've been watching it on dvd lately. There's a beautiful Irish folk song that is featured in the show. After watching this show for years, I looked up who sang it. It's Laura Creamer- maiden name Laura Polkinghorne, who was in Honey Ltd. with the Sliwin sisters. Laura Creamer has sung back-up for Bob Seger and on Glenn's solo material. I was absolutely floored....years of watching this show and I just found out there's a connection to Glenn.