Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bob Seger Article about tribute to Glenn

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Default Re: Bob Seger Article about tribute to Glenn

Thank you for that, FP. I was only about 14 when "Still the Same" came out but I recall it was rumoured to be about Glenn. I interpreted the song as mostly negative - there is a grudging admiration, but also a palpable disapproval of the Gambler's manipulative charm, IMO. I'll have to re-think that interpretation now I guess, in light of their ongoing and warm friendship.
    Last edited by NightMistBlue; 11-28-2017 at 07:05 PM.

"Shame on the Moon" is one of my favorite Seger songs (penned by Rodney Crowell, BTW), and I knew about Glenn's work on it. I listened to "Night Moves" and I really couldn't pick him out -- it sounds like an all-girl group to me -- but I could certainly be wrong. But you can definitely hear him on "Against the Wind."

Thanks, Soda, for your very in-depth analysis of the song from 2007! I think you make many valid points.

Something I also see in that song, as relating to Glenn, is a deep worry for his friend. He knew, I'm sure, that Glenn was doing a lot of drugs, drinking a lot, etc. He was gambling with his life for a lot of the 70s. I've said it's just Divine intervention that none of them ended up facedown in a bathtub in a hotel room somewhere.

I think Bob saw Glenn gambling with his artistic gifts and his life because he couldn't (or wouldn't) stay off the stuff. And that messes with people's personalities. So I don't see it so much as negative in "I don't like you", but "I'm worried about you. I don't like what you're doing to yourself. Please take better care of yourself."

That's what really hits me when I hear it.

Stuck on the Border

Pippin - I have to agree with your analysis. I'm sure Bob "partook" but Glenn's drug and alcohol use were out of control. It really is a miracle they all lived through all that excess, especially Joe.

Quote Originally Posted by New Kid In Town View Post
    Pippin - I have to agree with your analysis. I'm sure Bob "partook" but Glenn's drug and alcohol use were out of control. It really is a miracle they all lived through all that excess, especially Joe.
    So true. I did my fair share of partying in the 70s especially the Bay Area but I was lucky going to college and being broke helped keep me out of trouble though I didn't see it that way at the time lol.

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

Stuck on the Border

But the thing is I don't think the song is about excess at all. It's an analysis of Glenn's character & how ruthlessly ambitious he was, while he softened it by 'turning on the charm just enough to get you by'.

I think there's plenty of room for interpretation on a number of levels with that song. Most really good songs are like that.

I wasn’t sure where to post this. It’s another interview with Bob and the Glenn tribute is brought up.

The album is dedicated to Glenn Frey, who of course was your good friend from the sixties in Michigan.

About three months after he passed I did his memorial in L.A. That had about seven thousand people. Everyone was there — even [original Eagles bassist] Randy Meisner and J.D. [Souther] and Bernie Taupin. I saw everybody. About a month before that I got the idea of listening to some of my old songs, and I found I Knew You When and I thought, “Oh my gosh, this even sounds faintly like an Eagles song. This is perfect,” and I said: “That’d be a great title for a Glenn tribute record,” y’know? So when I saw [Frey’s widow] Cindy in LA I asked her, “Would you mind if I did that. It’s your legacy. I don’t want to mess it up.”

She said: “No, I’m sure it’ll be in good hands with you” and I said: “Okay, that’s what I’m gonna do,” and that was the beginning of it. I had I Knew You When, that was it. Then I started studying the old stuff and writing new stuff and recording a couple of covers, and a year and a half later it was done. I really took my time on it. It’s a little bit political, but most of it’s about Glenn.
    This answers the question about whether or not Randy attended the memorial service. I wonder if Bob meant to say “Bernie Leadon” instead of “Bernie Taupin.”

Bob Seger interview: "I really hope I'm not done" by Gary Graff, loudersound.com, Feb. 20, 2018

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Stuck on the Border

I personally doubt that Bob Seger would mess up Bernie Leadon & Bernie Taupin, but never mind.

You’re probably right, FP. It just seems kind of random to throw out Taupin’s name alongside Randy and J.D.’s, plus I didn’t know there was a connection between Taupin and Glenn. I’m guessing poor Bob is probably on a lot of painkillers.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...