Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: East Texas: The Henley Tour - Border Members' Trips to Don's Old Stomping Grounds

Default Re: My trip to Linden, TX Don's hometown.

Today is the one year anniversary of my trip to Texas to see my very first Don show in Austin and Houston. I definitely wasn't disappointment.

I started my 4 day trip to Texas by seeing Don's hometown again. This time I stayed the night in Atlanta which was about 15 to 20 minutes north of Linden. Sadly again. I didn't get to go to Caddo Lake. I left Mississippi a little late and I was meeting someone at a certain time. I didn't get to cruise Caddo Lake.

I forgot to post these pictures last year, but I guess its never late than never.

Almost there!

The famous water tower that was saved.

The famous shed and the steps Don sat on in one of his Cass County pictures.

Don's old high school.

Music City Texas Theater(formerly the American Legion building). A place where Don played a lot when he was a kid. I didn't get to go in this time. They were closed.

Last edited by shunlvswx; 01-16-2018 at 11:50 AM.

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

Great pics Shun!!!
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

That’s a nice collection of pictures. I can’t remember the last time I saw a Grandy’s. Lol.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Awesome pictures Shun! I really liked the mural.
    "You only live forever in the lights you make....you only hear the music when your heart begins to break."

I second that emotion, Awesome pictures Shun! They turned out beautiful and really capture the essence of the town and it's history.

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Awesome trip, Shun!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Default Re: East Texas: The Henley Tour - Border Members' Trips to Don's Old Stomping Grounds

I recently decided, on the spur of the moment, to drive to my parents' house in Houston. I had never made that 10-hour trek via car before; I usually fly.

What I hadn't realized is that drive would take me straight through Linden!

I am geographically impaired, so I just turn on my trusty Garmin (which I call Bridget) and go. I don't even look at maps. I should have remembered that if I was going to be on I-59 all the way from Texarkana to Houston that I would hit Linden, but it didn't occur to me until I saw a sign telling me it was coming up!

At that point, I had been driving about 5 hours (it turns out Linden is pretty much halfway). It was a great time to take a break! I gassed up at the Linden Fuel Center and tried to go to the Dairy Queen for a snack, but I had left at 4 am to beat traffic at it turns out that DQ doesn't open until 10, according to the lady I came across who was smoking in its parking lot. I guess good times are still had there.

I drove around town a bit and realized to my dismay that very little was open and I was pretty much out of luck when it came to amusing myself during a break in Linden. Even the Family Dollar was closed, though I took the opportunity to stretch my legs in its parking lot.

Resigned that this was not going to be much of a visit, I got back in my car and left Cass County behind.

Driving to Houston was certainly time-consuming and I'm not sure I'm going to do it again. However, if I ever do, I'll time it better so I can have much more fun at my Linden stop - and I'll be sure to fill up on gas there again. I was pleased to note that because of my Honda Accord's fantastic gas mileage, that tank of gas I got in Linden was able to get my all the way home.

Administrative note: I've merged all the various Linden trip discussions into one thread, so all the members can talk about our experiences together and if people want to see what to do in Linden, they don't have to visit multiple threads.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Default Re: East Texas: The Henley Tour - Border Members' Trips to Don's Old Stomping Grounds

Cool, Soda. I would love to go back there. I definitely want to see Caddo Lake. I didn't get the chance to see it when I was there last year even though I slept the night in Atlanta before I drove down to Austin the next day.

I also recommend to try Linden Fuel Center's burgers. They are good and juicy. I always go there and they also have a display of Don's memorabilia.

I also heard that the Cass County billboard was taken down a few months ago.

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

Quote Originally Posted by shunlvswx View Post
    I also recommend to try Linden Fuel Center's burgers. They are good and juicy. I always go there and they also have a display of Don's memorabilia.

I am so freaking mad at myself that I didn't go in there and see that display. I was RIGHT THERE getting gas. I had forgotten about it. I don't even think I saw the restaurant, just the typical gas place! I was so tired! If I had only had you with me! lol

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Its not really a restaurant. Its one of those little places where they cook food everyday, but small enough to fit in the gas station. I don't know what you call those places. I know there's a place like that down from my job and I go there to go some chicken tenders. They had maybe 6 tables and a little window to get the food from there.