Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Expando Reviews!

Default Re: Expando Reviews!

I wanted to add that I didn't read any reviews before I wrote my own. It's interesting to see where my opinions lined up with others - or didn't lol - and how I made some observations that others had noted as well.

This is an album that you don't have to be a hardcore Tim fan to like. I recommend everyone go get a copy!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Well, I also wanted to get my review posted on Tim's birthday, but I have really had a difficult time deciding on the order that I like the songs on Expando. Like most others, I think it is great that Tim did this album exactly as he wanted and made it so personal. I decided to use the same scale and criteria that I have been using to rate other Eagles/solo albums (see below). Overall, I think this is a pretty strong album. I like every song on it. My only criticism is that I wish there was more diversity in the tempo of the tracks. I would have like to have seen 2 or 3 more uptempo rockers on the album just to mix it up a bit. I’ll list the songs in the order that I like them with the disclaimer that I reserve the right to change my mind at any time in the future. So after, careful deliberation, here I go …

I Love It (5)

Parachute (5) – Everything everyone has already said about this song. Just a great song and Graham Nash is fantastic.

Secular Praise (5) – The song is simply beautiful. The more I listen to it, the more I like it. Great lyrics, vocals, melody, and music.

White Boy From Sacramento (5) – This song is just fantastic, IMO. I love the way Tim varies his voice here, and his sense of humor shines. In addition, the songs rocks, and as I said earlier, I would like to have had a couple more of these.

Melancholy (5) – This song definitely seems to be the sleeper on the album. It’s getting very little recognition, but I absolutely love it. It is very melodic, and lyrically, I think just about anyone can relate to it. It doesn’t hurt that Tim’s vocals are incredible on this song. I wonder if it’s been hurt by the fact that this is the only song on the album that Tim didn’t perform in his live shows. I have no idea why he left it out. In any event, I seem to be in the minority here, but I like this song so much that I even bumped it ahead of Friday Night.

Friday Night (5) – Love this one too. I think the chorus takes this song to another level. As Tim often does, he changes the cadence so much when he breaks into “Slip into your best dress, paint your lips red” that it kinda takes you by a wonderful surprise.

I Really Like It (4)

A Good Day (4) – Even though I’m not that fond of country music, I really like this song a lot. Since the country-flavored music is not accompanied by dreaded country twang vocals, it doesn’t bother me. I love the lyrics and melody of the song.

I Don’t Mind (4) – I think the lyrics in this song are very clever. Love the way that nice people can tell someone off so politely. However, I have to say that this song really played great live, but I don’t like it quite as much when I listen to it on the CD. (BTW - I wrote this before I read Soda's comments).

Downtime (4) – I have the same comment here as I did about I Don’t Mind. I really loved this live, but not as much listening to it on the CD. It’s still a good song, but was much better live, IMO. I like the chorus a lot better than the verses and I sure can relate to the sentiment.

One More Mile (4) – I like this song a lot, but have to put something at the bottom of the “I really like it” list. Just don’t like it as much as some of the others.

I Like It (3)

Ella Jean (3) –I actually laughed out loud when I read Soda’s comments about this because I am writing my review, and had a very similar experience. It’s not my favorite either, but the other morning I woke up and “I don’t much like it when you’re gone” kept playing through my brain, and wouldn’t leave. So I guess you’d have to say that it’s ‘catchy’.

Compassion (3) – My least favorite on the album, but I still like it. I just don’t like the melody quite as much as some of the others, and I’m not fond of the falsetto when he sings the word ‘compassion’. And when he breaks into the “ahhh’s” it does sound very ‘Beach Boyish’ to me, but this is one time when the change of cadence doesn’t work for me. I find it kind of distracting.

key:
    5 - I love it
    4 - I really like it
    3 - I like it
    2 - meh
    1 - yikes

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

As always, I know I repeat myself, but I must say I enjoy it again and again to read your detaild comments to each song!
    "For the record, we never broke up, we just took a 14-year vacation!"
    (Glenn Frey)

Thanks for your reviews everyone. I`m just skimming them because I don`t have it yet & I don`t want to be influenced too much by the reviews. When I get it I`ll post mine. I don`t know, Christmas seems to be a long way off. My restraint is weakening. If it was in the stores around here I know I`d have to give in!

LOL GL I'm going through the same thing. Everybody always asks what I want for Christmas so I said this cd (and the LP) but it's getting hard to wait!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Maleah View Post
    LOL GL I'm going through the same thing. Everybody always asks what I want for Christmas so I said this cd (and the LP) but it's getting hard to wait!!!
    We'll see if either one of us has enough willpower to wait until Christmas!

Soda and Dreamer, I enjoyed reading your reviews.

Parachute seems to easily be right up there as a favorite for everyone.

Dreamer, you and I both agree that TBS's vocals on Melancholy are incredible! Best on the album.

Soda, I thought it was great that you and I both commented that he closed the album with A Good Day. It is a perfect way to end the album. It always leaves me feeling good!

And we all seem to agree that these songs are very personal and we have them stuck in our head at one time or another!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

No willpower here, I can't take it anymore. I also had it on my Christmas list, but I just went to itunes and bought it there. Can't wait to get it on a cd and in my car!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

I haven't the time to post a full CD review, but I want to say I'm enjoying reading the others. Dreamer and PM, the first time through the CD, I knew that Melancholy was one of my absolute favorites! I have no idea why he would omit this from the show...what a loss. And Dreamer, I do agree that some of the songs absolutely shone in the concert, whereas you don't get the exact same effect from the CD (though they are still good).
    ~Eva~

...the calling of the tide's eternal tune, the phases of the moon, the chambers of the heart, the egg and dart...

Last edited by Prettymaid; 07-08-2010 at 09:18 PM.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.