Page 125 of 195 FirstFirst ... 2575115121122123124125126127128129135175 ... LastLast
Results 1,241 to 1,250 of 1947

Thread: Don in the Press/Blogs/etc.

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Default Re: Don in the Press/Blogs/etc.

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    Since he didn't use it in an ad, only as background music so to speak, it's unclear if Neil will win if he sues. More than a few lawyers have said falls under the heading of fair use. It will be interesting.
    That will be an interesting lawsuit if Neil feels the need to file one. If he does sue and win, that could mean that anyone could get in trouble for playing a song to a crowd/audience. While it's unlikely that if would affect a non celeb or politician, it is a slippery slope.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

I can totally understand why Neil doesn't want Rockin' In The Free World to be associated with Donald Trump's presidential campaign. I suspect that when it came to choosing the song Trump simply thought of the chorus and how great it was to be rocking in the free world, rather than the biting social criticisms in the verses which strongly opposed the policies of Bush Senior (most notably 'We got a kinder, gentler machine gun hand', which directly attacked his 'kinder, gentler nation' speech).

My sympathies in this kind of situation tend to vary depending on the artist and the song used. I can totally understand when artists who have written political songs like Neil object when someone whose views they disagree with then use their song, the same for Jackson Browne (I think he sued a Republican candidate who used one of his songs). By contrast, I thought the fuss that the British band Keane made when the UK Conservative Party used one of their songs (Everybody's Changing) in the run up to (I think) the 2010 election was over the top. Although I can understand why they didn't want to be associated with a party they did not support, the manner in which they complained about it was somewhat off putting, especially as the song's lyrics were not really political in nature and the band members went to an expensive public school.

On a lighter note, does anyone know whether Joe Walsh minded Life's Been Good been used in one of the 1980 presidential campaigns?

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Come Lately View Post
    I can totally understand why Neil doesn't want Rockin' In The Free World to be associated with Donald Trump's presidential campaign. I suspect that when it came to choosing the song Trump simply thought of the chorus and how great it was to be rocking in the free world, rather than the biting social criticisms in the verses which strongly opposed the policies of Bush Senior (most notably 'We got a kinder, gentler machine gun hand', which directly attacked his 'kinder, gentler nation' speech).
    When I first heard that Trump had used this song, my first thought was " does he even realize the meaning of the lyrics?". It's just like Bruce Springsteen's Born in the USA. People hear the chorus and they believe that it's a song praising America, when it's the complete opposite!
    -Kim-

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    Since he didn't use it in an ad, only as background music so to speak, it's unclear if Neil will win if he sues. More than a few lawyers have said falls under the heading of fair use. It will be interesting.
    He didn't use it in an ad, but what he did was much worse, in using it to announce his candidacy for President. This is a widely heard announcement, & he had no right to use it. I do think Neil will go after him for this..."Fair Use" What does that even mean??? That song was blasting in the background & it does imply that the artist is supporting this candidate, so I do think Neil can win this in court.
    Should be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Topkat View Post
    He didn't use it in an ad, but what he did was much worse, in using it to announce his candidacy for President. This is a widely heard announcement, & he had no right to use it. I do think Neil will go after him for this..."Fair Use" What does that even mean??? That song was blasting in the background & it does imply that the artist is supporting this candidate, so I do think Neil can win this in court.
    Should be interesting.
    Fair use (copied and pasted from this website:
    the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright. In determining whether the use made of a work in any particular case is a fair use the factors to be considered shall include—
    (1) the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes;
    (2) the nature of the copyrighted work;
    (3) the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; and
    (4) the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work.
    The fact that a work is unpublished shall not itself bar a finding of fair use if such finding is made upon consideration of all the above factors.

---------------------------------

I don't know if this kind of "fair use" argument has been used before or not. Does Trump's use of the song fall under those categories mentioned above? That's the million dollar question.
    -Kim-

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Ag95, thank you for the link. However, I think what tk was suggesting is that it is very subjective. Experts seem to think that if Neil does sue, it will go into new territory.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

I figured that this would be the best place to post this (unless one of the mods wants to create another thread for it).

Donald Trump has responded to Neil Young's diss over his use of the song Rockin in the Free World:
    http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/24/politi...ng-on-twitter/

"Trump published a series of tweets calling the artist a "total hypocrite" because according to Trump, Young visited Trump's office requesting money for an audio deal and invited Trump to his show just last week".
    -Kim-

It clearly states that Neil Young supports Bernie Sanders as a candidate for President & "Rockin' the Free World" is a protest song against 80's Republicans.

Trump is a user & tries to get everything for free. If Young asked for money for using his song, Well I feel he has every right to be paid for it. The song was clearly used to benefit Trump & clearly implies support.
    I don't give a crap if Trump shook his hand, This is all part of his pretentious act. Jackson Browne sued John McCain for using his song "Running on Empty" & they settled. Bottom line, like Jackson said in the video, "You can't just use someone's song & not pay them for it."

As far as I'm concerned, the guy is a joke. He has billions, but all his hotels file for bankruptcy. I even think he's a con artist. If he is elected President, we are in serious trouble, & I mean even more trouble than we are already in.

I agree with everything you said, Topkat, particularly the part about him being elected president .(the thought of him sittingin the white house makes me both wanna cry and hit something )

Im at the part where Trump said that he didn't care for the song anyway. If you don't like the song, why use it then?
    -Kim-

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Trisha Yearwood is going to have an exhibit in the Country Music Hall of Fame, and in this article, she refers to Don as one of her idols.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/c...l-fame-exhibit
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.