Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: The Beatles

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: The Beatles

I'm a Beatles fan, but I think they're in a position no human being should be allowed to be in. That is a position where one is above all criticism. Even Paul seems to believe this. He once mentioned criticism of the so called "White album" (my favorite Beatles album by the way) and said, "It's the bloody Beatles White Album, so SHUT UP!".

Personally I would place Led Zeppelin above Beatles, but anyway...I LOVE Beatles, but they do have many songs that suck, but no one is allowed to say that. If "Golden earth girl" was a Beatles song, it would be considered one of their best songs. But since it's on a McCartney album from the early nineties, it's "not as good as the Beatles". So this is ridiculous.

I tend to love a lot of the lesser know tracks that Lennon hated, although he wrote them! "Glass onion" and "Dig a pony", which are, of course, nonsense songs lyrically. But there's this atmosphere. They probably were one of the greatest bands ever, but they shouldn't be above criticism.

"I am the walrus" is fantastic, as is "Penny Lane". "You know my name (look up the number)" is fabulous!!

I agree nobody should be above criticism and while I think the Beatles are a little over-rated I don't believe they are completely above criticism(people are too fond of criticizing everything for that)

Anyway, I like Dig a Pony and I Am the Walrus a whole lot too and think Glass Onion is a GREAT track in its own way.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by bluefeather View Post
    I agree nobody should be above criticism and while I think the Beatles are a little over-rated I don't believe they are completely above criticism(people are too fond of criticizing everything for that)

Anyway, I like Dig a Pony and I Am the Walrus a whole lot too and think Glass Onion is a GREAT track in its own way.
    I probably came across as a "Beatles skeptic" in my post above. I must admit that I am a rather hopeless Beatles fan. It is my style to usually start with the negative stuff. "The Beatles recording sessions" book is one of my dearest possessions.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    I'm a Beatles fan, but I think they're in a position no human being should be allowed to be in. That is a position where one is above all criticism. Even Paul seems to believe this. He once mentioned criticism of the so called "White album" (my favorite Beatles album by the way) and said, "It's the bloody Beatles White Album, so SHUT UP!".

Personally I would place Led Zeppelin above Beatles, but anyway...I LOVE Beatles, but they do have many songs that suck, but no one is allowed to say that. If "Golden earth girl" was a Beatles song, it would be considered one of their best songs. But since it's on a McCartney album from the early nineties, it's "not as good as the Beatles". So this is ridiculous.

I tend to love a lot of the lesser know tracks that Lennon hated, although he wrote them! "Glass onion" and "Dig a pony", which are, of course, nonsense songs lyrically. But there's this atmosphere. They probably were one of the greatest bands ever, but they shouldn't be above criticism.

"I am the walrus" is fantastic, as is "Penny Lane". "You know my name (look up the number)" is fabulous!!
    OK then... which Beatles songs suck, in your opinion having taken note of your last post?

For me there are only a couple; Hold Me Tight & Revolution 9. Some of the very early pop stuff like Little Child, while not great, I excuse due to youthful experience. I am not a fan of McCartney's 'vaudeville' stuff like Honey Pie & Your Mother Should Know but overall, what is there really to criticise? All Together Now isn't great. Dizzy Miss Lizzy, Mr Moonlight... A couple of Ringo's vocals...it's nitpicking.

You Know My Name (Look Up The Number) is a classic & I love Dig A Pony. I love Dig It as well.

I love Zeppelin but I have to be in a Zep mood, whereas I am in a Beatles mood 100% of the time!

I am a fierce fan myself but I don't approve of quite a lot they did and I think it's good to bring up their shortcomings every now and then. So being a little skeptical fan isn't at all bad IMO. I wouldn't say any of their songs suck though but that they have several mediocre ones.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    OK then... which Beatles songs suck, in your opinion having taken note of your last post?

For me there are only a couple; Hold Me Tight & Revolution 9. Some of the very early pop stuff like Little Child, while not great, I excuse due to youthful experience. I am not a fan of McCartney's 'vaudeville' stuff like Honey Pie & Your Mother Should Know but overall, what is there really to criticise? All Together Now isn't great. Dizzy Miss Lizzy, Mr Moonlight... A couple of Ringo's vocals...it's nitpicking.

You Know My Name (Look Up The Number) is a classic & I love Dig A Pony. I love Dig It as well.

I love Zeppelin but I have to be in a Zep mood, whereas I am in a Beatles mood 100% of the time!
    You mentioned "Little child"... If the following songs weren't by the Beatles, I don't think many people would "give them the time of day". They aren't mentioned often even now:

"Tell me why", "I'll cry instead", "When I get home, "I'm a loser", "Baby's in black", "I don't want to spoil the party", "Another girl", "Wait", You won't see me", "Love you to", "Yellow submarine", "Doctor Robert", "When I'm 64", "Lovely Rita" (I love the lyric), "Baby, you're a rich man", "Ob-la-di, ob-la-da", "The continuing story of...", ""Don't pass me by", "Cry baby cry", "Only a Northern Song", "It's all too much"...

Now, let me tell you just one more thing. Here in Finland we make sure that people start hating the Beatles when they're young. How do we do it? We use this music book in schools where the Beatles song is Ob-la-di Ob-la-da. (There may also be Let It Be) We keep singing that in classrooms with our pupils until we're certain that yet another generation hates the Beatles.
    Last edited by chaim; 03-11-2014 at 07:10 PM.

If the following songs weren't by the Beatles, I don't think many people would "give them the time of day". They aren't mentioned often even now:

"I'm a loser", "Baby's in black", "I don't want to spoil the party", "Another girl","Yellow submarine", "When I'm 64", "Lovely Rita" (I love the lyric), "Baby, you're a rich man", "Ob-la-di, ob-la-da", "The continuing story of...", "Cry baby cry"...
    Now tell me please this is a weird kind of joke. On the other hand, it's amazing (and interesting) how people differ in perceiving things. "I'm a Loser" is one of the best from Beatles for Sale for me!

Now, let me tell you just one more thing. Here in Finland we make sure that people start hating the Beatles when they're young. How do we do it? We use this music book in schools where the Beatles song is Ob-la-di Ob-la-da. (There may also be Let It Be) We keep singing that in classrooms with our pupils until we're certain that yet another generation hates the Beatles.
    Sorry to hear that.
    Anyways, this is an Eagles Message Board, so I'm not going to elaborate on this. Still, I hope there're some young people in Finland who can truly appreciate the music for what it is School, or not school.
    Last edited by irga; 03-11-2014 at 08:16 PM.

"I gotta get up, get out, get on that road and go one more mile "

Stuck on the Border

You mentioned "Little child"... If the following songs weren't by the Beatles, I don't think many people would "give them the time of day". They aren't mentioned often even now:

"Tell me why", "I'll cry instead", "When I get home, "I'm a loser", "Baby's in black", "I don't want to spoil the party", "Another girl", "Wait", You won't see me", "Love you to", "Yellow submarine", "Doctor Robert", "When I'm 64", "Lovely Rita" (I love the lyric), "Baby, you're a rich man", "Ob-la-di, ob-la-da", "The continuing story of...", ""Don't pass me by", "Cry baby cry", "Only a Northern Song", "It's all too much"...

Wow. Those first four are amongst my absolute favourites (especially I'm A Loser). How in the world can anyone not like Doctor Robert & You Won't See Me? Good grief. I am afraid we are now going to have to agree to disagree, because ultimately it comes down to personal preference.

And for the record, there is nothing wrong with Ob-la-di Ob-la-da. The people in Finland would be much better off using Maxwell's Silver Hammer if they want an example of a song that isn't so good.

I would rather talk about what songs I like than what I don't like so I will leave it there.

I find this hard to believe! If it is true then it is very sad. You say that you are a Beatles fan yet you use the pronoun WE in your explanation of "people start hating the Beatles" as if you yourself are part of that mind set. To me that is contradictory! Care to explain?

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Grego View Post

I find this hard to believe! If it is true then it is very sad. You say that you are a Beatles fan yet you use the pronoun WE in your explanation of "people start hating the Beatles" as if you yourself are part of that mind set. To me that is contradictory! Care to explain?
    I was just being sarcastic. It never comes through in writing. We love the Beatles here, but at the same time we do our best so that the following generations will hate them. I was just joking. I should have put a in there.

And, above all, the Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da has only the Finnish lyrics in the music books I've seen - music books for early grades. The Finnish version is just awful. The original is humorous, but the Finnish translation is dead serious. It doesn't present the Beatles very well! In fact one of my friends, who's about 45 years old, still hates the Beatles, and he says it's because of such a music book at school when he was young. Usually there's a jolly picrute of the young Beatles as well with the Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da song.

I say "music book", but I don't know what it is in English. I mean a normal school book that people use. There are transcriptions of songs as well as information.
    Last edited by chaim; 03-12-2014 at 08:31 AM.