Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: New Glenn Compilation

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: New Glenn Compilation

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    It's being released by Geffen Records? Wow... I always thought the reason No Fun Aloud is consistently ignored on every Greatest Hits package was because of issues with Geffen (even "The One You Love" was always a live version rather than the album version), but now... I have no idea why No Fun Aloud keeps getting the shaft.

In my opinion, it's second only to Strange Weather in terms of overall quality, and I have several favorite tracks ("That Girl" is one of my top five Glenn solo songs)."I Found Somebody" made the top 40, and it's not included here... why?

Something's up with No Fun Aloud.

Well that's bizarre. Although a couple of the tracks appear on Dublin it certainly should have more representation on the solo work discs.

Stuck on the Border

This is from JD Souther's Facebook page:

would like to congratulate everyone involved in the creation of Above The Clouds, a beautiful and exceptional collection of Glenn Frey’s unique voice in music, here expressed in his solo career. It is an imposing body of work and just as rich and genuine as you would expect. It is also a fitting tribute to the man who flew front seat in that exceptional songwriting and harmony phenomenon called Eagles, the biggest band in American history. Glenn was my first songwriting partner in Los Angeles when we were pups and I’m a far better song writer for knowing him. He brought a spark to every thing he touched, lit up every room he entered, and brought a rock solid integrity to every song he worked on. Check out “Run Boy, Run” from Longbranch/Pennywhistle, our virgin album as singer/songwriters. It’s a good song, rock solid and a first look of what was to follow. I could go on and on about Glenn but there are simply too many good things to say and besides, you could be listening to him sing instead of reading about him. As Linda Ronstadt put it the day after Glenn left us; “What to say? It’s a little bit different world now”. Perfectly said, so here is a big box of his beautiful music to give life after Glenn some more groove, a few more tears, and a whole lot more light. Cheers Glenn, and thank you.

Border Rebel

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post

would like to congratulate everyone involved in the creation of Above The Clouds, a beautiful and exceptional collection of Glenn Frey’s unique voice in music, here expressed in his solo career. It is an imposing body of work and just as rich and genuine as you would expect. It is also a fitting tribute to the man who flew front seat in that exceptional songwriting and harmony phenomenon called Eagles, the biggest band in American history. Glenn was my first songwriting partner in Los Angeles when we were pups and I’m a far better song writer for knowing him. He brought a spark to every thing he touched, lit up every room he entered, and brought a rock solid integrity to every song he worked on. Check out “Run Boy, Run” from Longbranch/Pennywhistle, our virgin album as singer/songwriters. It’s a good song, rock solid and a first look of what was to follow. I could go on and on about Glenn but there are simply too many good things to say and besides, you could be listening to him sing instead of reading about him. As Linda Ronstadt put it the day after Glenn left us; “What to say? It’s a little bit different world now”. Perfectly said, so here is a big box of his beautiful music to give life after Glenn some more groove, a few more tears, and a whole lot more light. Cheers Glenn, and thank you.
    Well said and it actually brought tears to my eyes...

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post

That's beautiful.

Stuck on the Border

JD has such a way with words. It's a treat to read something like that.

Lovely.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

What a lovely tribute from JD!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

10 days to go (although knowing my mailing in Ireland it will take longer to get there)
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

I'm curious about why certain songs were selected and others were not. Only one song from No Fun Aloud, half of Disc 2 is from After Hours, and then there's Longbranch Pennywhistle...why did it not include more of his 80s/early 90s work? I understand it wasn't that successful, but a box set like this should be comprehensive and most of his solo work was from 1982-1992. I wonder who made this decision - Cindy? Irving? The record label?

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by groupie2686 View Post
    I'm curious about why certain songs were selected and others were not. Only one song from No Fun Aloud, half of Disc 2 is from After Hours, and then there's Longbranch Pennywhistle...why did it not include more of his 80s/early 90s work? I understand it wasn't that successful, but a box set like this should be comprehensive and most of his solo work was from 1982-1992. I wonder who made this decision - Cindy? Irving? The record label?

You make some good points.

As I said earlier in the thread, Glenn only sings lead on a handful of the Longbranch songs. It's mainly J.D. Souther. It should have been given a standalone release. It has nothing to do with Glenn's solo career. I also feel that Dublin should have been given a separate release, years ago. Lumping these together emphasises how small Glenn's output as a solo artist was.

I have to say I don't know why you would think Cindy would make decisions about this. She is not part of the industry. I suppose we will get more information when it is released, but yet again I see it as a lost opportunity.