Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Celebration of "After Hours"!

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Default Re: Celebration of "After Hours"!

Quote Originally Posted by Tori View Post
    So far my favorites are After Hours, Caroline No, and Route 66. Especially Caroline No... I was listening to the album while working in my Digital Arts class today and I almost melted. This whole album is just awesome.
    Tori---first I just have to say how happy it makes me to know that you are listening to this album. I'd be willing to bet that you are rare for your age. Kudos to you for having such an open mind about the music you listen to!!!

Austin--I originally said I doubted I would buy this album but then I listened to the previews and decided I had to have it. I have always enjoyed artist like Sinatra, Martin, Wayne Newton, etc.... so why not this one by Glenn. I guess I thought I wouldn't be able to get past the fact that Glenn's suppose to be singing Eagles and songs like The Heat Is On and Smuggler's Blues, not the music my mother listened to. I've heard some of the songs before but really can't say I know anything about them. I don't know if that was a good thing going into this or not. But I'm glad I bought it. Hope you will too.

Didn't get my hard copy yet, will do that later. Bought the deluxe version off of iTunes. I've only listened once but here's my favorites:

For Sentimental Reasons
    It's Too Soon To Know
    Caroline No
    The Look Of Love
    I'm Getting Old Before My Time-- love the horn. This song more than any of the others, to me, has that "old" sound to it. I can so see someone standing in front of a big band, with one of those old time microphones, singing this. It gave me such a visual for some reason.
    I Wanna Be Around--Love the way his voice sounds at the very beginning of this song.

All and all, I'm glad I have it in my collection but can honestly say it won't be something I listen to much but in the right frame of mind, I can see me putting it on.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Random thought---- I know Glenn said he wanted to do this for his parents. Wonder what they think of the way he's done them.

Wow. I had a really unexpected reaction to this CD this morning. I was listening on my way to work and pondering whether either of Glenn's parents has dementia because the emotion he was putting into "My Buddy" just had that feeling to it. I can't describe why. It reminded me of my own parents, who are going through that now. My dad is nothing close to the person he used to be and it's really sad to watch.

But when my thoughts turned to my dad, all of a sudden, I just started bawling. I was always Daddy's girl and when Glenn hit that last line of "your buddy misses you," I completely lost it and almost had to pull over. It was so powerful. I still can't think of it without tearing up.

Many of you have talked about having a "moment" with Glenn or other Eagles. I guess I've had my moment.

Awww WE!!! All of here "get it"!!

Aw, I'm sorry to hear about your dad, WE. Sometimes songs get to you in ways the original artist never could have imagined. The power of music!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan View Post
    Awww WE!!! All of here "get it"!!
    boy you are right I know watching my parents suffer with their illnesses is the hardest thing I've ever had to do. Isn't it amazing what music does to us?

Quote Originally Posted by GlennLover View Post
    I do agree that some of the lyrics are a bit odd. I don't know if it is the influence of the times in which they were written or not. They don't bother me, other than one line in 'Same Girl". The line "a few more holes in your arm" is a bit disturbing to me. Other than that the entire album gives me thrills every time I hear it!
    Oh my gosh, is that what that line truly says? I was thinking I must've heard it wrong. So she's not only a prostitute, she's a heroin addict (unless there's some other kind of drug you inject). Is the guy in the song her pimp who's fallen in love with her? At first I thought it was an old boyfriend who was sad about the fact that she'd become a prostitute and was hoping she'd quit soon, ala "Roxanne." However, the whole "A few more nights on the street, that's all / A few more holes in your arm / A few more years with me" puts it in another light, like the fact that she's "with" him is what makes her have to walk the streets and do drugs in order to emotionally deal with making her living on her back. Me no likee... but perhaps I'm interpreting this wrong. Yes, it is distracting me from enjoying the song - what can I say? I think about this stuff. It's the literary critic in me and there's nothing to be done about it.

To bring it back to the positive: the song has a pretty melody and a emotive vocal.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Oh my gosh, is that what that line truly says? I was thinking I must've heard it wrong. So she's not only a prostitute, she's a heroin addict (unless there's some other kind of drug you inject). Is the guy in the song her pimp who's fallen in love with her? At first I thought it was an old boyfriend who was sad about the fact that she'd become a prostitute and was hoping she'd quit soon, ala "Roxanne." However, the whole "A few more nights on the street, that's all / A few more holes in your arm / A few more years with me" puts it in another light, like the fact that she's "with" him is what makes her have to walk the streets and do drugs in order to emotionally deal with making her living on her back. Me no likee... but perhaps I'm interpreting this wrong. Yes, it is distracting me from enjoying the song - what can I say? I think about this stuff. It's the literary critic in me and there's nothing to be done about it.

To bring it back to the positive: the song has a pretty melody and a emotive vocal.
    Glenn did say in the WNYC interview that "Same Girl" was "stained" and "haunted." The minor chords in the melody emphasize that. I had the Roxanne vibe at first too, but maybe the guy's not a pimp. Maybe he's just someone who's equally down on his luck and loves her in spite of the things she's doing to survive. I'll have to listen more closely on the ride home.

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post

I think is voice is amazing on this song! I think it would be difficult to sing well.

It was Glenn that mentioned the "few more holes in your arm" line in the
    WYNC interview. I hadn't clued in to the words he was singing until I heard the interview. Like you, Soda, it also distracts me from full enjoyment of the song. I guess because it is so haunting.

Just picked it up!

Going to give it a listen and will share my thoughts after I've played it through a few times!
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."