Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Barry Gibb

Default Re: Barry Gibb

Quote Originally Posted by shunlvswx View Post
    I've seen this concert. I remembered watching it on the Disney Channel back in the early 90s. A great concert.

I'm watching it right now on Youtube. I think this is the same concert.

Thanks Shun, I checked it out and wow, I gotta say Robin blew me away with Juliet. Such a unique beautiful voice.

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

Robin always had a beautiful voice. As he got older, I don't think it ever changed. I always loved the songs he and Barry shared lead on. Its majority of their songs. I remembered growing up, I had always wonder why Robin always had that half headphone to his ear with certain songs. I guess I always thought he was weird with that thing. lol

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

Quote Originally Posted by shunlvswx View Post
    Robin always had a beautiful voice. As he got older, I don't think it ever changed. I always loved the songs he and Barry shared lead on. Its majority of their songs. I remembered growing up, I had always wonder why Robin always had that half headphone to his ear with certain songs. I guess I always thought he was weird with that thing. lol
    I LOVES me some Robin lol.

I'm not exactly sure what it was he was holding to his ear (I'm sure one the musicians on the board might know), but I always assumed it was the same reason he always held his ear in 60s and 70s (maybe a tuning thing?):

A little peace of mind is all I'm looking for....

Stuck on the Border

Glenn took to doing that as well during the After Hours tour.

Robin was fairly young when he sang lead vocal on the #1hit Massachusetts one of my favorite songs. Maurice was very talented as well. The three of them together were pure magic. I was heartbroken when Andy and Maurice died. Then Robin. It still hurts.

When you see a singer with one hand up to their ear, they are actually using a DIY monitor system, or foldback system (listen to how they actually sound). ... Some singers will also place a finger in their ear, this enables them to hear their resonance of the sound being made inside their head.

https://www.successfulsinging.com/fr...ldback-system/

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
    When you see a singer with one hand up to their ear, they are actually using a DIY monitor system, or foldback system (listen to how they actually sound). ... Some singers will also place a finger in their ear, this enables them to hear their resonance of the sound being made inside their head.

https://www.successfulsinging.com/fr...ldback-system/
    Yes but in Glenn's case he had a monitor inside his left ear, so I never understood why he put his hand up to his right ear as well.,

Ok. That makes since. I notice him doing that a lot for many years. He usually does that when he's singing by myself. I also saw him use some kind of half headphone (you can see him use it in the special that FannyBeTender is talking about). He used that thing for a while(probably in the 80s until mid 90s). Then after they started wearing ear monitors, he wasn't cupping his ear (or using that thing) that much after that.

Thanks for that information, Dawn. Now I know why he did that for years.

I found a picture of what I'm talking about. If you look closely, he has something against his ear.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0167034/...wer/rm62888960
    Last edited by shunlvswx; 03-02-2018 at 10:47 AM.

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

Congrats to Barry who is now Sir Barry. He was knighted this past Tuesday. I couldn't find any pictures, videos or articles of Barry being there.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Congrats, Sir Barry.

So, he was knighted at the same time as Ringo - pretty cool!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016